It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Thing (1982)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
First off, I'd like to thank members TownCryer and SheopleNation for mentioning this movie in another thread that I did. If they hadn't I wouldn't have thought to look for it and would not be posting this thread. So, thank you both.

Made in 1982, The Thing is about a group of scientists who have to fight for their lives when an alien being invades their outpost. If animals and humans turning into other things or gore scares you, this movie is guaranteed to give you a fright. I thought that the acting was good. The special FX was excellent. I believe that this is a remake of a 1951 movie called The Thing from Another World, as the plot is almost the same for both movie; although, the characters are different and there are a few differences in the story line as well.

Here is more information on the movie: The Thing

Here is The Thing

Here is more information on The Thing from Another World: The Thing from Another World

I looked for the full video of this movie but was only able to find it in segments, and it's colorized (sorry purists). If you want, watch both movies and compare them. Is the 1982 movie a remake, a rip off, or it's own movie?

I don't feel like copy/pasting 17 clips here. It's tedious and I don't know how much room that would take up. You can watch the trailer and the movie below. No clip is longer than 5 minutes and there are 17 of them-not including the trailer.

The Thing from Another World movie clips
edit on 24-4-2015 by Skid Mark because: Added information

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I liked the 1951 version better, but This is still a great movie.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yup. That's the original and the remake. Both good movies. The second one was made by John Carpenter. Excellent movie maker.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
LOL, I've caught a few of your movie posts lately.
I am such an 80's movie fan. I have so many of them, including this one.

Anytime you want to just chit chat about one, you can always PM me.

I'm a bit of a movie freak.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I like the intelligent carrot idea on the 1951 movie. I know it scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I wasn't sure if it was actually a remake, as there are a lot of differences. Thanks for clearing that up.
I like John Carpenter's movies, too. The guy has talent. That's for sure.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I'm glad to meet another movie freak. I don't get into all of the technical details like some people do. I just enjoy watching them.

I like your avatar, by the way. It reminds me of where I live. When ever I go outside the dang chickens mob me like I have something for them.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
this is one if not my favorite horror/sci-fi movies. and it doesn't hurt that the soundtrack is absolutely awesome. i mean ennio morricone! c'mon! awesome! really adds to the atmosphere of the movie and the suspense. this is one of those movies where i can just watch it over and over again. the original is great and has some things they chose to leave out in the carpenter re-make. i just love carpenter one way more.
edit on 24-4-2015 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Good thread to raise awareness for SUCH A GREAT MOVIE.

Seen it over 20 times, and never get bored. This is a classic.

Did you know this was on the cinema at the same time as E.T?
Except no one paid much attention to this one for obvious reasons.. It only became popular (and a cult movie) after it was released on video. Yes, video

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What's you take on the end? Who's the Thing or is it either of them or both of them?

So is it Childs or McCreedy?

There are fan theory vids all over YouTube that explain it, but I won't post those.

edit on 24-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

This was one of the best remake's of a B movie and one of the scariest sci fi horrors in it's day though it is pretty tame in today's world.
Still the concept was fantastic, an ancient shape shifting alien trapped in the ice in a frozen UFO for hundreds of thousands of years.
It inspired more than many think and even the X files took inspiration from it right down to the arctic UFO and ancient shape changing aliens.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The original had James Arness-Gunsmoke tv show town marshall as the alien.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

It's one of my favorites, too. I never get tired of watching it.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenEars123

I didn't know that. The first time I saw it was on TV.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think they got it. I don't think it was McCreedy because he was too freaked out by the prospect of the others being it. Childs; though, I think could be it if they didn't kill the thing. He was gone a lot.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

What I like was the paranoia that the shape changing produced. Nobody knew who IT was and it was driving them all nuts.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

It was still alive. Remember, the dog running away from the base at the end?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yes it did. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard that he was injured in the making of the movie. It was quite a jump character wise, going from town marshal to an alien being.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's right. Thanks. My bet would be Childs. He was outside for so long that it could have gotten him.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Blimey 1st BTILC now this

Gotta be Escape from new york next dude

Kurt Russel Rocks...all John Carpenter too

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join