It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M6.1 - HAIDA GWAII REGION, CANADA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hey canadian ATSers, hope you all ok !

Preliminary Earthquake Report Magnitude 6.1
Date-Time 24 Apr 2015 13:56:16 UTC
24 Apr 2015 04:56:16 near epicenter
24 Apr 2015 07:56:16 standard time in your timezone

Location 51.738N 130.752W
Depth 10 km
Distances 187 km (116 mi) WSW of Bella Bella, Canada
288 km (179 mi) S of Prince Rupert, Canada
340 km (211 mi) SSW of Terrace, Canada
432 km (268 mi) WNW of Campbell River, Canada
643 km (399 mi) NW of Victoria, Canada

Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 5.9 km; Vertical 1.7 km
Parameters Nph = 106; Dmin = 188.6 km; Rmss = 1.03 seconds; Gp = 68°
Version =
Event ID us 200028ue

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 24-4-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
To many quakes in last few days, plus a volcano...

On a side note this movie is coming out soon.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Luckily I'm in Quebec, I felt nothing. Thanks for the info though!

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Good to know !

Off Topic : Hey Swanne, your avatar made me remember immediately something I was reading earlier

Brazil: Achieve first captive breeding Lear's Macaw
edit on 24-4-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Seems there was no Tsunami danger.
Interesting side note, there is an archaeological site , in one one of the inlets, that is now submerged, that was inhabited up to about 4k years ago.
It was submerged so fast that the people left their household items in their dwellings , when it was abandoned.
The researchers , in the article I read, thought it was due to subsidence, with a small tsunami, one not big enough to wash away the dwellings, only floss them.
So ,
Trueman, are you aware of the connection between Haida Gwaii and South America?
If you've heard this rant from me ,never mind.
It also ties in with Betty Meggers and the Jomon/Valdivia controversy.
For those not up to speed with the Jomon/Valdivia controversy. Betty Meggers(anthropologist) proposed that about 6k years ago some natural catastrophe,,volcano in this case, forced ancient jomon people from Japan to migrate and some may have ended up in Ecuador, influencing the local Valdivia culture.
The region of the volcano is the ancestral homelands of the polynesians.
So ill get to the point, ancient volcano blows and forces people to flee, some may have ended up in Ecuador, others ended up on Haida Gwaii, where they remains fairly insular from the locals, the Haida language is an isolate.
Eventually 200-400bc some left Haida, and ended up on Hawai'i. A couple hundred years later a group again leaves and ends up on Easter Island .
After a few years Mainlanders show up and the ex Haida flee into the Pacific settling eastern Polynesia Amd bexomeing the Polynesians proper.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Hi Punkin !

Nope, I don't remember that connection. Great post my friend, thank you so much for all that input.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Good to know !

The thing is, I am quite sure I heard some rumbles yesterday. But that was before the EQ in BC. I sure hope people in BC are all right up there.

Off Topic : Hey Swanne, your avatar made me remember immediately something I was reading earlier

Brazil: Achieve first captive breeding Lear's Macaw

Ha! Technically, my current avatar is a Spix's Macaw, even rarer than the Lears's Macaw (there are only 71 of these, well at least in captivity). Notice the eyes and the base of the beak:

But I am actually glad to read that they succeeded in breeding Lear's Macaws in captivity! Just look at its face, it looks as if it's smiling! I wish this little bird a long, and above all prosperous, life!

edit on 24-4-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Oh wow that's close me. How did I miss this one ? I usually get alerts on anything over 6.0. Unless the alert isn' t in yet, I'll check my notifications.

Thanks OP !

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It's registered as 6.2 on my source and your link.

M6.2 - 182km WSW of Bella Bella, Canada

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
its kinda circumstantial, but it helps explain a couple of odd things, like how the hawaiians had bottle gourds and sweet potatotes both of american origin, but not the pig or rat, polynesian hallmarks. It also helps explain the polynesian dna in SA and the SA dna found in Easter islander("polynesians").
Haida an "Polynesian" culture share a great deal of similarities.
The use of bark cloth for clothing, and bark cloth mats are used as currency in both cultures.
They both use toggling fish hooks.
They both use penis/vagina patterned motars and pestles.
The canoes are made in the same fashion, so much so that a few years ago when a group of native Tongans wanted to build an authentic canoe the only people that could build one were the Haida.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Glad you're okay!

6.2... Not a small thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: violet

Glad you're okay!

6.2... Not a small thing.

Thanks.
I don't live that close. I'm south coast of BC.. Still though it's close when we don't get big ones around here much.
edit on 24-4-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Interesting stuff there.
I bought some handmade Bark bookmarks in Hawaii. I framed them as Art. They kind of resemble our Native Indian Art here in BC.

I didn't know about this connection but it all mikes sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Never did get my notification or alert on this quake. Of all the ones to fail being sent, when it's in my region.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
News about it

Two earthquakes rattled British Columbia late Thursday and early Friday morning, but they didn't cause any damage. The first quake, which measured 4.2 ML, struck just south of the border in Idaho around 10:43 p.m PT Thursday. It was felt in the Kootenay communities of Castlegar and Creston. It was one of three small quakes in the area since Thursday night, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The second quake, which was measured as 6.1 ML by Earthquakes Canada (M6.2 by the USGS) struck in the ocean just off the southern tip of Haida Gwaii at 6:56 a.m. PT Friday. The quake was felt on Haida Gwaii and along the North Coast, but there was no damage reported and no tsunami warning was issued. The Haida Gwaii earthquake was near the junction of three of the earth's tectonic plates, where earthquakes are common. As recently as Tuesday, a 3.6 ML earthquake was reported in the same region.

source
edit on 24-4-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Interesting stuff there.
I bought some handmade Bark bookmarks in Hawaii. I framed them as Art. They kind of resemble our Native Indian Art here in BC.

I didn't know about this connection but it all mikes sense.

Hi violet,

This is a quote from a work that set me upon this idea. 

A Tlingit legend very aptly describes how the first proto Polynesians came to Canada:

"There is an old story that says how some strange people came from the western ocean. Among them were two sisters. They landed on Dall Island in Southeastern Alaska. There the sisters met and married men whose people were coming down the rivers from interior North America. One sister-went with her family to Haida-gwaii or the Queen Charlotte Islands. Her children grew and multiplied into the Haida Nation. The other sister went with her family to Prince of Wales Island. She became the ancestress or Mother of the Tlingit Nation." (The Proud Chilkat by Brendan and Lauri Larson. 1977.)

www.polynesian-prehistory.com...

Disclaimer: although this work has a lot of very good information, some of it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Like I said this site got me  started, but I have done a lot more research since and have cobbled together my own scenario, based upon this and a lot of other multidisciplinary evidence.

One thing that muddied the waters of this question is that, many of these people in question come from an ancient common origins.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hi all!

The Queen Charlotte Fault system (where this came from) puts these out on a somewhat regular basis, so it's at least nothing to worry about. (but certainly noteworthy)

Although shallow, it was in the ocean, which is why you aren't seeing a bunch of felt reports. So far, there's been a couple aftershocks, so that's a good thing!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

thanks for the info. I must admit I read something different about the Polynesian heritage.
Still though, I think you are correct in the relations. The physical features are very similar for one.

new topics

top topics

join