It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-incarnation: A Blessing or a Curse?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet
To me, reincarnation is a matter of what we do with our attention, and the results of that doing - i.e., our action.

Whatever we identify with, through the act of giving it our attention, determines our "destiny" in the moment. Do something similar day in and day out, as most of us do, sets that patterning into a more and more fixed disposition or state.

This point-of-view-making machine of attention is the activity that gives us our sense of a separate and independent self. So we tend to become more and more fixed in our patterns of attention based on what strengthens that sense of self.

So at the point of death, our attention, which is the root of our sense of a separate self, moves through the tunnel toward the universal Light (Unity) but sooner or later gets attracted (or really, distracted) into something else along the way (even long lost relatives or others we recognize and/or trust).

This then sets into motion a return to our familiar patterns we locked into on Earth previous to dying, and so we return once again.

Not all death transitions are so benign - it depends on one's state of attention, and if one is really locked up in negativity, then some very dark bardos may be what one moves into. This is why suicide is absolutely no solution to getting out of one's suffering, because killing the body does NOT kill the more subtle mechanism of attention or sense of separate self.

Freedom from identifying with this endless re-cycling is not so much a matter of trying to improve, or even a progression in terms of how "good" we are, but more about releasing attention into Reality itself. This release, moment to moment, undermines the illusory sense of separate self, and allows us to feel the great Unity (Reality, Light, Consciousness, the Divine) we all arise in and are modifications of.

The more we allow the Divine Light or Consciousness itself to infill and live us, the more we see that the inherent Love that is Reality becomes our disposition - and on that basis we change and become truly capable of real love and right action - with free energy and attention.

edit on 4/27/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I don't know what "The Issue" is with reincarnation. I share OP's frustration in that FROM MY PERSPECTIVE TODAY it's would seem to be a poor system that verges on totalitarianism and has no respect or caring for the individual or suffering encountered by so many billions of people today. I just do not understand how so many children dying of malnutrition is "teaching a lesson to the soul." It makes no sense to me. And to require this repeatedly would seem an overwhelming treadmill that seems like a good definition of hell to me. I can't get over the "sick kids."

Since I cannot believe that any advanced sentient beings capable of controlling such an enterprise would do that to beings of consciousness I'm forced to look for alternative explanations. They couldn't be that evil. That, of course, assumes many things and begs a lot of questions. It may be that nobody is in charge, for example. It may be that we have caused this all ourselves. It may be that "life" is as addictive as a drug and we will choose to come back here no matter what just to experience it at any level. Maybe we just want to get laid again. It may be all this is a bad dream from which we will awake, and it may be that this is a game, literally, or a simulation. There are book-length treatments for each one of these scenarios. Read The Universe solved for a treatment of a simulation. Read Ready Player One, soon to be a Steven Spielberg movie, for an example of we being avatars in a game. Or study Buddhism. There's a ton of stuff out there dealing with this issue.

Now I, along with most westerners, have been inculcated with the idea that individuals have "rights" and these "rights" appear to have been violated by this reincarnation system. So you have to ask yourself, what rights do you really have? And how do you interpret them? One common misinterpretation made by Americans is that they have the "right to free speech," therefore they can say anything anywhere anytime. That is, of course, patently absurd. The Bill of Rights only says that the government (and only the government) can't prevent you from speaking up in a public forum, i.e.: On public property. This web site, for example, although it uses the term "forum," is not a public forum in terms of the Bill of Rights and it is not run by the government (we hope), so you really don't have "freedom of speech" here other than what the owners themselves allow--and dictate.

But we're the ones who did that. We simply declared our rights. "We hold these truths to be self-evident" (in other words, no proof is required) and speaking of men: "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights." Oops, there's that God word again! "You want proof? God gave us those rights." is what that amounts to. So there is no god? Okay then, who says you have those rights? "You do? Screw you; you're nobody" is where we are headed and where much of the world is right now.

I'm reminded of Whitley Strieber, the dear fellow who wrote "Communion" and claims to have been abducted by aliens. In one scene Strieber complains that the aliens have "no right" to kidnap him and others, "no right" to conduct experiments, invade our privacy, etc. and he goes off on a rant. The aliens' reply? "We have every right." Strieber reports how "profound" that statement was because it undercut everything he ever believed. Now I'm perfectly willing to concede that Strieber writes great fiction stories, but that's beside the point. If someone else, alien or otherwise, says we don't have any rights, and they can enforce that notion, then we don't no matter how much we declare that we do.

Now the fact is that from my perspective here I do not know if this is a simulation. I do not know if we are in a game and are all avatars. I do not know the basis on which this is all set up. And I absolutely insist that my saying not only that I don't know, but no one else does either is not on the same level as declaring something true or not, and I have zero respect for that notion because it is intellectually dishonest.

So the only conclusion I can reach about all this is that I do not fully understand how reincarnation works and what its parameters are because I lack perspective. I don't know the entire story. So although it seems to me like a curse, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. And it may be just a bad dream, and there's no sense in blaming the dream for that.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
You certainly have covered a lot of ground in your consideration! A good read.

The way I see it is that no one is in charge. There is no Creator-God, such is an illusion or myth, just like the illusion that I am a separate and independent entity, somewhere inside the head associated with attention.

What makes the most sense to me is that there is only unconditional, self-aware Consciousness. This Consciousness is Being-Light-Energy and is the "medium" in which all forms appear and disappear. All forms are stepped-down modifications of this fundamental Consciousness-Light-Energy.

Within Consciousness there is the illusion of space-time, separate material objects, body-minds, etc. But really, none of this exists outside of Awareness and it is apparently happening always in the present. Who ever experiences anything outside of Awareness and not in the present?

Awareness (or Consciousness) in our case, is associated with a body-mind through the root mechanism of attention, and from there we determine our destiny based on what we give our conscious energy (Awareness), via attention, to.

Thus, we create more and more patterns, karma, all the complex destinies, that giving our attention moment to moment to whatever we desire, creates.

So yes, I agree with what you mentioned as a possibility, that there is no Great Other(s) creating all of this. We are all in charge here of what patterns we create based on our attention. This is true right now - we can notice this.

But most of us have little control of our attention, and we seldom, if ever, surrender it all to the sheer force of Reality in which all of this arises and is a modification of.

So we just keep patterning and patterning, billions of us, and it creates all kinds of complexities, difficulties, dreadful destinies, whatever we end up mainly yielding our attention and energy to.

I will stop here as most of the details of how I see attention is related to reincarnation is already written up in my prior post.

edit on 4/27/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bb23108

We all have our own unique way of knowing the soul ... Our personal understanding
We are individual souls but only as soul parts of something greater than the sum of what each individually is

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet
How would you describe the soul?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

That's a good question ... you rotter lol

Well ... So as not to write a book ... I will make a few brief points and try to keep it as simple as possible

Souls are not all the same ... each is in different state of "evolvement" ..."The state of one's soul"
Humanity is One Soul and Human Beings are it's soul parts

The solar system we inhabit is what has been allotted to this Soul
We each have a part to play or not ... I say or not because we not compelled ... we have Free Choice

Each soul part ... has it's own unique part to play ... in the Grand Design so to speak
To put it simply ... Our task is to survive in the way of Soul

Learning of course is a vital part of this surviving
It is our task to put matter or substance into a better way of being for the benefit of all

If you look at the body through the eyes of soul ... It is made of so many substances / matter
These substances have been put together by a vast Intelligence by design

The task or goal is to transform "dross" I.E. Substance without Intelligence into a way of power
Intelligence alone can not move ... it requires power which comes from way back at the core
Each soul is allotted a certain amount of power enough for it's requirements ... I call this essence

How one uses this essence is governed by one's free choice
One can use it for self or for the benefit of all

So as to not get too confusing ... I will go back to my initial point
Each soul is in a different state of being ...
There are evolved souls here on Earth or to be more accurate
There are evolved soul parts here
Also there are unevolved soul/parts who are at the first stage of being

Each soul is connected to the whole through thought ... thought is the link to soul or Reality

An evolved soul can be whatever it wishes to be but within Soul all follow a code

Life is a series of situations ... one situation is followed by another ... all situations are designed for the soul to learn from
To come to an understanding of ... if that understanding is not gained thenthe situation will be played out or presented again ... though the details of that situation may well be different

Here is an example ... I am an intolerant person ... always wanting my way over another.
To want your way over another is against the code of Soul ... For all evolve and learn by the choices they make at their own pace ...

The lesson I am learning is that of Free Choice and what it means ... Even if one is correct say in the information one is giving to another ... To want or force another to act in a certain way or think in a certain way is not caring or even intelligent
A priest may preach of Hell Fire and Damnation if one does not comply with their rules ... Sure they can get people to act in a certain way through fear and intimidation ... But to change an action is not always to change an intention
Who can rule by fear and expect to be respected ... " all evolve and learn by the choices they make at their own pace ..."

Anyway best stop here as one point leads to another and hey presto I have written a book and probably bored the reader senseless

But to just add one more statement

Soul is all that exists within what we are aware of

edit on 28-4-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
An interesting summary, thank you. A few questions, if you please...

originally posted by: artistpoet
Each soul is connected to the whole through thought ... thought is the link to soul or Reality

Thought? Like a conceptual thought? Or attention? Or...?

Soul is all that exists within what we are aware of

Then what is that awareness in which soul exists?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Thought? Like a conceptual thought? Or attention? Or...?

Thought of course is a big subject ... But to try explain my point better ... We can know of things through thought that logic and science can not explain ... Thought is our link to Reality and all that that encompasses ... For example we can have the thought of another and feelings attached to the other without them being present. This has nothing to do with the bodily senses.
The Higher Intelligence that we are a part of and connected to it has an overview

Then what is that awareness in which soul exists?

As we reside on Earth ... so the soul is also the Earth we are a part of the Earth ... it is the rocks the plants etc ... It is that which has been allotted to the soul to work upon. We are soul parts of something far greater ... Our awareness is what we are aware of and varys person to person ...

Ii feel I have not explained my beliefs very well ...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

For example we can have the thought of another and feelings attached to the other without them being present. This has nothing to do with the bodily senses.

How is this different from the recollection of a memory - a stored image of the person and associated memories of one's feelings for him or her?

Everything we perceive via the senses is actually a memory given it takes time to process the light (or sound or taste, etc.) from the object to the brain, and for the brain to create it as a perception-sensation.

How is this thought process any different from such perceving?

The Higher Intelligence that we are a part of and connected to it has an overview

What are the attributes of the Higher Intelligence?

As we reside on Earth ... so the soul is also the Earth we are a part of the Earth ... it is the rocks the plants etc ... It is that which has been allotted to the soul to work upon. We are soul parts of something far greater ... Our awareness is what we are aware of and varys person to person ...

Is this a form of non-dualism where everything is ultimately one?

Ii feel I have not explained my beliefs very well ...

It can be very difficult to put into words what is generally indescribable.

I hope I am not being too much of a "rotter"! LOL I learned a new word today.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

How is this different from the recollection of a memory - a stored image of the person and associated memories of one's feelings for him or her?

Quite different in that my thoughts showed me a mental picture of my Father in a new way or light

What are the attributes of the Higher Intelligence?

Everything ... In the overview of all that is even the seeming non intelligent way some choose

Is this a form of non-dualism where everything is ultimately one?

I have not studied dualism so can not say ... I am looking at a whole picture as far as I can ... In that picture I see individual elements but all are connected with the bigger picture and contained in it

I hope I am not being too much of a "rotter"! LOL I learned a new word today.

Not at all just my silly talk ... your questions challenge me to look deeper and explain better

edit on 28-4-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Quite different in that my thoughts showed me a mental picture of my Father in a new way or light

An excellent point!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join