It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Monty Python And The Holy Grail Celebrate 40 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
You are either a fan or you are not. In my 30 some odd years on this planet I am not sure I have ever met anyone who was... meh... for The Holy Grail. People are either die hard fans or they despise even being in the room when it's on tv.

Me? I'm absolutely a fan. It's one of the funniest movies ever made. It ranks right up there with Young Frankenstein for me.

As with most things in my life, I am usually a day late and a dollar short. So yesterday was the 40 year anniversary for the premier of The Holy Grail. Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

www.imdb.com...

Monty Python in a movie?

What a silly idea.

But the timing was right for the gang of British comedians (along with their token American, Terry Gilliam), who were looking to hit the big screen after four seasons of "Monty Python's Flying Circus," their groundbreaking British TV series.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail," which premiered 40 years ago Thursday, was the result.

The movie, a spoof of the Arthurian legend, did not start auspiciously.

The budget was small -- about $400,000, half of it supplied by rock stars, including Genesis and Pink Floyd. On the first day of filming in Scotland -- the first shot, in fact -- the camera broke. The weather was bad. The hotel was dismal. Python member Graham Chapman was suffering from alcohol withdrawal.

It got better.

On the day of its first American screening in New York, a thousand people were in line by 8 a.m. Thanks to the popularity of "Python" on American TV, the movie was a box-office hit, making $5 million -- more than 10 times its budget.

More importantly, it soon became a comedy classic. The dialogue alone has been widely quoted, with such lines as "It's just a flesh wound" and "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" referenced on shows such as "The Simpsons," "Game of Thrones" and "The Blacklist." Python member Eric Idle turned the film into the Tony-winning Broadway play "Spamalot."

For me... They had me at European or African swallow.

Killer rabbits??? Run away!

From its dramatic opening credits featuring fake-Swedish subtitles to the adventures of Sir Launcelot ("the boldest and most expensive of the knights"), weighted-bird computations and sudden animator heart attacks, "Holy Grail" is probably the loosest and most Python-esque of the Python oeuvre.

As a movie with a plot and character and all that movie nonsense, it falls short -- but as a repository for some of Python's best gags, it remains perhaps the best (and certainly most quotable) of the bunch. Besides, it features the word "shrubbery."

" 'Grail' is a bit like 'A Hard Day's Night,' " Idle observed in the Pythons' autobiography. "It's got a joie de vivre that's very infectious, it's very hard not to like."

So I want to see your favorite clips... Which parts of the movie made it timeless for you?

For the killjoys who are sure to show up and ask how in the world people can watch television while the world is burning... It's ok. Everyone needs a break on occasion. The world will still be burning when we are done. Laughter is the best medicine after all.

www.cnn.com...

Happy Anniversary (albeit a day late) Monty Python and Your Holy Grail. I thank you for the laughs you've given me over the years and hope many more generations will be able to enjoy it as much as so many of us did!

edit on 4/24/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

A Newt?? "I got better"

Crazy how many times you hear quotes from The Holy Grail in day to day life.

Heres to another 40.

ETA: I'm getting better!

Ill have to watch it later. Even if the wife hates it.
edit on 4 24 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Monty Python. Very good. My son loves the humour - must be genetic.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

My husband hates it too...

The "Bring Out Yer Dead" is the notification sound I have on my phone for severe weather alerts. My husband says that's sick. I say he has no sense of humor lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
They are in my opinion one of the funniest troops to ever hit the stage, screen or TV...period

It's this wicked little combo of intelligent humor with a heavy handed dash of raw stupidity and garble rolled into one. And it is incredible...

Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life, their TV show, on stage performance...all of it is absolute gold IMO. Movie wise I have to go with Life of Brian as my favorite

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This is one of my favorites.

I've been a huge fan ever since I first saw them.
edit on 4/24/2015 by lonegurkha because: to add

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I love it! Gives me ideas for ringtones

That puts my wifes idea of it just being men who like the movie to rest.

Python lovers must just have the right genes. Or wrong genes depending on your point of view

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Wait. There are people who don't LIKE this movie? I've yet to meet one. What I really like about the movie is that everyone starts off so serious then immediately become very silly.

My favorite scene:

edit on 24-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Absolutely…

Using coconuts to simulate horse hooves (tee hee)

Message for you sir…

None shall pass…

What, I don't know that…

I blow my nose in your general direction…

Still rofl after all these years.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Here's a good one if it doesn't burn down fall over and sink into the swamp.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
They are in my opinion one of the funniest troops to ever hit the stage, screen or TV...period

It's this wicked little combo of intelligent humor with a heavy handed dash of raw stupidity and garble rolled into one. And it is incredible...

Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life, their TV show, on stage performance...all of it is absolute gold IMO. Movie wise I have to go with Life of Brian as my favorite

I agree. I just watched an interview with them discussing the 40 year anniversary and they are just as rambunctious and funny as ever. Age hasn't seem to mellow them a bit and that can only be a good thing!

a reply to: Krazysh0t

I know right? There are though because I am married to one! In over 18 years of marriage, I still can't manage to get him to watch more than 15 minutes of it. We are talking about a man whose favorite movie wavers between Motel Hell and Deliverance so there is that....

And yeah... It's just a flesh wound will live on for future generations. That and shrubbery lol.

a reply to: intrptr

The coconut deal was so absurd that you'd almost have to be dead not to literally laugh out loud at it. Comedic genius at its best IMO.

You quoted many good lines as well. It's like a well that doesn't run dry thank goodness!

edit on 4/24/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Awesome thread, first watched as a nipper with my dad (mum would of gone mad if she'd known!). For me, my favourite Monty Python film.

As to Young Frankenstein, also a thumbs up. But special mention also to Stir Crazy and See No Evil, Hear No Evil and also to Blazing Saddles.

Lonegurkha, brilliant.

edit on 24-4-2015 by Flavian because: Extra films!

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Not from The Python Films, but i love this

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
"Its not quite dead yet" . Now you have done it. I am now digging through my collection of movies to find this one. Thanks to your thread I feel a need to watch this for what , the 100th time ? S&F for reminding me of a very funny movie.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I married my wife becasue she was the only girl I dated who go this film.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

This is one of my favorites.

Mine too. "farcical aquatic ceremony", "watery tart", "moistened bink". hysterical!

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
..."moistened bink". hysterical!

I think it's "bint".

Just LOVE this:

Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot
He was not afraid to die
Oh Brave Sir Robin
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways
Brave, Brave, Brave Brave Sir Robin.

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken
To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, Brave Sir Robin.

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned up
And his penis...(made to stop by Robin)

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away.
When danger rears it's ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes Brave Sir Robin turned about
He gallantly chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat.
Oh bravest of the brave, Sir Robin.

www.lyricsmode.com...

Bwahahahaha......

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

"We will shoot arrows through your heads and make castanets of your testicles."

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

You had to bring the Meaning of Life in to it. When Terry Jones, as a pregnant third world Catholic mother in Liverpool, gives a little groan and a shrug, and drops her new born fetus on to the floor of her kitchen,,,,,,man oh man. That's satire for ya baby.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

"We are no longer the knights who say 'ni' We are now the knights who say "Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Zoooooooom Boing Ni!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join