It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tokyo park closed after extremely high radiation levels found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

Posted 20 minutes ago on Australian ABC News.

Soil underneath a slide at the park in Toshima ward in the north-west of the Japanese capital showed radiation readings of up to 480 microsieverts per hour

Seems a local resident discovered the radiation and reported it. I'm willing to bet that the government in Japan is not actively sweeping for radiation in Japan's cities, and just looking the other way.

The radiation level at the park was over 2,000 times that at which the national government required soil cleaning in areas around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant

Of course, officials do not think this event is connected to Fukushima in any way.....

****Edit - But according to the Japan National Tourism Organization's website.....
us.jnto.go.jp...

Except for the neighboring areas near the nuclear power plants, there is no dangerous level of radiation detected in Japan. Tokyo is NOT within radiation contamination area, as it is located over 200km (124 miles) away from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant facilities. The radiation level in Tokyo is similar to that of New York City.

edit on 24415 by symphonyofblase because: Added extra info/link

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: symphonyofblase

Of course, officials do not think this event is connected to Fukushima in any way.....

No well, what will they do.

Oh! I know!

Blame it on Gomora! Yeah man! The flying turtle did it!

I thought the Japanese were supposed to be very smart.

They buy the dumbest excuses.

Let us watch and see how they cope and who they blame.

P

edit on 24/4/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Interesting find. I found this in the story to be a little worrying:

According to a local official, the park was built in 2013 on what was previously a parking lot for Tokyo's sanitation department.

Top soil at the lot was replaced before the land was turned into a park, the Toshima official said.

Does this mean the new soil was already radiated? I really wish the rest of the world would take some action on this, and stop Japan from just sweeping this under the carpet.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

it's tragic to know that the kids will be accumulating radionucleides in what should be a safe place to play. buried waste is claimed here rather than the recent event.sad.

sandf4u
f.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
According to Japan's National Tourism Organization, there is no dangerous level of radiation detected in Japan. I added a link and quote from their website to my original post.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

The article only talks about that park specifically,surely if was radiation was coming from the crippled reactors at Fukushima it would have these same high reading over a much wider area...the abc articles seems to indicate fukushima as the culprit...seems unlikely though

Here is an article from the Japan times speculating some radioactive material may have been buried there....

An unusually high level of radiation has been detected at a park in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro area, the Toshima Ward Office said Thursday, prompting speculation that hazardous material has been buried there.

www.japantimes.co.jp... /#.VTn-iSGqqkp
edit on 24-4-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Mysterious black substance flew all the way to Tokyo area from Fukushima ten days after first explosion

There is speculation that these "mysterious black substances" which contain a high concentration of nuclear materials are actually particles that have come directly from the melted down reactors.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: symphonyofblase
Soil underneath a slide at the park in Toshima ward in the north-west of the Japanese capital showed radiation readings of up to 480 microsieverts per hour

Damn media who always have to exaggerate. The acceptable radiation around fukushima for people to move back in without restriction is around 2.5 microsieverts per hour. Than 200 times less, not 2000.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
it seems failure on a number of fronts.

pre-tender health and safety of proposed playground failure?

walkover survey to identify brownfield, visible pollutants and general state of the ground failure?

intensive survey to determine pollutants, toxins etc by samples failure?

construction phase scrutiny failure?

ongoing monitoring failure up till now?

i'm not of the opinion it was deliberate just downright stupidity.

the parents of children who have visited this area need to hive together and press for full medicals and possible litigation.

f

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It's possible about the dump site, but isn't Disney Land Tokyo built on a dump site also.

Also heavy rains may have had something to do with it recently. I haven't heard any news of it today and I live in Japan.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Lol.... I'm sure the Japanese government and TEPCO are falling over themselves in their mad scramble to release this latest news. Do you believe the "rumours" that there is a widespread effort to suppress information on Fukushima-related incidents? I do.

SUPPORT NEEDED: Over 3,700 ppl mostly of age under 30 are suffering from recurring massive nosebleeding in Japan

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

a reply to: musicismagic

Lol.... I'm sure the Japanese government and TEPCO are falling over themselves in their mad scramble to release this latest news. Do you believe the "rumours" that there is a widespread effort to suppress information on Fukushima-related incidents? I do.

SUPPORT NEEDED: Over 3,700 ppl mostly of age under 30 are suffering from recurring massive nosebleeding in Japan

Yes, any publisher that reports news about Fukushima without govt. approval can be sentence to 10 years in prison. That's the law here. Silence is golden or should we now say, silence can kill ya.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Japan is finished they just don't realize it yet

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I think it's important to consider that as a result of Fukushima there are a lot of people in Japan now taking it upon themselves to test their own environment. This will undoubtedly increase the number of discoveries, and perhaps indicates that other societies might be wise to invest in such public testing.

The problem is that for decades private contractors and corporations have been permitted to act with impunity in many instances, and I fully believe that the same pockets of contamination would exists in most major cities around the world.

I dread to think what might be discovered under the ground in New York or London if the public was routinely sweeping for this kind of thing.

Why shouldn't we suspect such things, given that we know for a fact several corporations have been implicated in massive dumping scandals in the past? We know that corporations are regularly caught out pumping waste into the environment, side-stepping laws and regulations, finding the cheapest methods to get rid of waste and covering it up or just ignoring their responsibilities when they f-up.

It baffles me that anyone would think this hasn't happened with regard to this kind of waste, it's almost impossible to locate unless you're actively looking for it and the temptation for a "waste management" company to just dump it and pocket the cash rather than actually do their jobs is far too great.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
Why shouldn't we suspect such things, given that we know for a fact several corporations have been implicated in massive dumping scandals in the past? We know that corporations are regularly caught out pumping waste into the environment, side-stepping laws and regulations, finding the cheapest methods to get rid of waste and covering it up or just ignoring their responsibilities when they f-up.

I live in the state of Queensland in Australia. Around 7 years ago, it was reported in the news that over a period of 11 years, 13 women who all worked in the same location developed cancer. The authorities claim the site was tested and results came back negative for radiation. Nevertheless, the employees who worked on the site were evacuated to another location.

The site has since been sold and is about to be turned into highrise apartments. I cannot afford a geiger counter anytime soon, but I would love to get my hands on one and try to check radiation levels at the site for myself. Australian authorities want us to believe that there is no reason why cancer rates at this one site are 11 times higher than anywhere else in Queensland. I'm not buying it.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

According to Japan's National Tourism Organization, there is no dangerous level of radiation detected in Japan. I added a link and quote from their website to my original post.

Well I'm sure that people that want you to come to a place are going to tell you if it is dangerous to come there. Not.

top topics

join