It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads urge Maine lawmakers to defeat concealed gun permit bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Not entirely certain where to post this, but I'm a bit miffed about it.

Please don't let this turn into another debate on guns being good or bad

I spent hundreds of dollars and months of dealing with the city and state paperwork to get my CCW- and I fully support not needing it.

The TV ad says the bill would allow people with no training, "even violent criminals," to carry hidden weapons in public.

Source

I like how they ignore the fact that a violent criminal is likely to carry one anyway... you know, since they're criminals and all, and clearly don't mind breaking the law.

Maine State Police shared Brakey’s concern over differentiating between when a gun is or isn’t concealed, referring to “inconsistencies with the existing law.” They contend that Maine would “be better off” without a concealed permit requirement.

Source 2

Even the State Police agree... there are entirely TOO MANY convoluted laws here in Maine concerning ALL of my rights, this one is no exception.

Here's hoping "we the people" (or, rather, the goons leading us) don't screw it up (more)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
In all states where these laws have passed, there is no increase in gun violence.

That's really the final word in the whole debate but the anti-gun groups will continue to fight legislation in every state and fail because they do not have facts on their side.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Groups that base their arguments on emotion usually don't have the facts on their side.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I just spent about 30 minutes sitting in traffic thinking about this, and I'm *still* surprised that the state police are on my side of an argument, for once.

It's ridiculous how much I had to go through to get my CCW permit, but I will be oh-so-happy if they correct the laws so I don't need it.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac
As a genuine question why do you want a concealed carry permit anyway?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Good luck in the liberal North East.

Anti-gun people don't rely on logic. They rely on lies to ward people off from securing their rights as Americans.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Because open carry, while I support the practice, is tactically unsound.

Because unarmed people make easy targets for the predators of the human race.

Because I believe my responsibility as a soldier, father, and husband is to protect my family and those around me who cannot otherwise protect themselves.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Good question!

I went through hell to get my permit, and I don't even carry- but there's a good reason, and that reason is "idiots"

You see, here in Maine, we have a lot of idiotic laws- and enforcing them is a bunch of idiots.
On the one hand, it's not legal to transport firearms that aren't locked up- A gunrack in your truck window is fine, if the firearms are locked to it.

However, a pistol is NOT fine, as it is not locked up. Unless of course, you lock it in a box, or a case.
In which case it's concealed, and you can get in a lot of trouble if you don't have a permit for that sort of thing.

As someone who used to be constantly harassed by officers (young guy driving an antique "sports" car with a flat black paint job...) I've learned to break as few laws as possible, whenever possible- because they're just looking for someone to punish.

Cheers, and thanks for not being an ass about asking!

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Just curious what kind of "hell" did you have to go through? I live in Maine and have a carry permit. I took an approved class, filled out the application and that was it. IMHO anyone that wants to carry should have some training.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The training I took was a joke- but it's certainly better than nothing.

There are two CCW permits in Maine- one for Portland, and one for the rest of the state- I had to get the Portland one, since that's where my license says I live.
Of course, the guy I took the test from didn't tell me that- I filled out all the paperwork for the regular state one, sent it in, and then waited about two months to get a phone call asking WTF I was doing.

Anyway, the Portland one has extra paperwork. Had to get special paperwork to say I've never been in a psych ward and all that, then make a special appointment to meet with the chief. Of course, the template they sent specified a date range that had already passed before the postmark date on the envelope....

Anyway. All told from deciding I wanted the CCW and getting it, it was about a year.

Back on topic, I do like the idea of a safety course- but it would be really nice if everyone who wanted to take a firearm out into public was willing to understand proper use and operation of the darn things.
Sadly, that's not the world we live in.

I'd be fine if they opted to just loosen up on the enforcement of concealed carry laws instead- but even then it's too much of a gray area.

Still, though-
if a "violent criminal" wants to conceal a weapon,
requiring them to get a permit vs not isn't going make ANY difference.
On the flip side, requiring a permit for the rest of us to carry a concealed weapon will definitely deter some percentage of law abiding citizens from carrying one.

So the end result of the law is that it limits those of us who follow the law, and makes no difference to the criminals.

Anyway. Anything we can do to have less pointless laws means less pointless enforcement- and I can't argue with that!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Seems the state police are actually trying to help- but the locals are having none of it.

Here's hoping those who do get to vote do the right thing.

Maine Senate votes for permit-free concealed handguns

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
www.legendsofamerica.com...

I spent hundreds of dollars and months of dealing with the city and state paperwork to get my CCW- and I fully support not needing it.

Sheesh.

The only license anyone needs is the constitution primarily the Bill of Rights.

Of particular note:

The second:

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The CCW violates the second.

The Seventh

Amendment VII In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

The Ninth

Amendment IX The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The CCW 'permit' VIOLATES the constitution.

Yo that DENY or DISPARAGE part.

Sad to see in one of the fist states in the country. Trying to block a CLEAR constitutional right.

Especially so since criminals don't give a snip about LAWS.

Like that one that says it's ILLEGAL to go around shooting people called murder.

But hey I want to live in a country where only the cops, and criminals carry guns!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Here in Missouri I had the opportunity to see an older guy troll the hell out of his arresting officer, much to the enjoyment of the rest of us in the courtroom awaiting our own trials (I was there for a speeding ticket)

He was arrested for unlawfully concealing a firearm. The officer said that he noticed the man walking in to a business with a firearm on his hip, with the butt sticking up above his waistband and the barrel in its holster that was inside his pants.

The officer approached and asked if the man had a CCW permit. He did not. So the officer arrested him.

In court the man defended himself. He asked the officer why he was arrested. The cop replied because he was carrying a concealed weapon without a CCW. The older man then asked how the officer knew he was concealing a firearm. The cop replied, "Because I saw it on your hip."

There was a few seconds of silence, then everyone laughed their asses off at the cop. The cop was so mad he turned purple and was saying that he didn't mean what he had just said.

The older guy ened up walking.

And here is a similar case I found that discusses the gray area that you could call 'kinda-sorta open carrying'

www.mlive.com...
edit on 29-5-2015 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Violent criminals for the most part have felony records and can not own much less carry firearms under federal laws.

If they have never been convicted then they are not violent criminals so the scare tactic would not apply.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Loadstain

The purchase of the firearm is all that is needed for verification to carry and use said firearm.

The 2nd does not reinforce our right with the caveat of training.....or locking something up, or getting yet further permissions to use..

top topics

join