It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Smallest Baby To Live: Born 8.6 oz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Rumaisa Rahman was born today weighing only 8.6 oz. She now holds the record for the smallest baby to survive. She has a twin sister as well named Hiba Rahman; she weighed just 1.4 pounds. Sadly though, they were delivered through Caesarean section at only 25 weeks because the mother, Mahajabeen was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia.

www.suntimes.com
She was born the size of a cell phone, weighing just 8.6 ounces, but Rumaisa Rahman now holds the new world record for the smallest baby ever to survive, according to her very proud doctors at Loyola University Medical Center.

That's where Rumaisa (pronounced roo-may-sa) and twin sister Hiba, who weighed just 1 pound, 4 ounces, were born on Sept. 19.

Today the world will get to meet both girls, now 3 months, along with their parents and medical team, at a news conference at the medical center in west suburban Maywood.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a great story. Those two babies are miracle babies and normally when you hear a story like this involving twins usually only one of them survives. Both babies survived in this case so in that way this story was a success. Unfortunately because the mother had pre-eclampsia, the chances of survival for the babies were very minimal. I sure hope that the babies can somehow fully develop and be able to grow up and live normal lives.

[edit on 12-21-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wonder how many "unviable tissue masses" larger and more developed than these two are executed each day due to partial birth abortion head spearings.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Im sorry, but this story is inaccurate. She is not the smallest baby to survive by any shot. NICU's routinely "graduate" premmies in the 23 week range that are 500 grams or so, the smalles I have seen is 450. At the childrens hospital I work at we had a 540 gram child survive open heart surgury for a complex cardiac defect. She went home and is doing quite well. I agree that some of these kids have to go as they simply have no real viability whatsoever, but some do okay.

join