It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

"And Jesus said hate everyone that's not like you and love thy neighbor."

"and if a black man strikes you with their filthy savage barbarian hands, turn the other cheek"

"and God created man but hated everyone but Jews"

" and Jesus said go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation but hate them all in private...."

edit on 23-4-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Only recently did Mormons acknowledge Black people aren't the "cursed sons of Cain"

www.christiandefense.org...

And there are academic studies that show that religious people are more racist.

mic.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Those are all blanket statements about a group of people. Such statements are notoriously racist when used in modern linguistics. I imagine it wouldn't be a far stretch of the imagination to assume that they are equally racist when used to describe ancient groups of people as well. The fact that you don't notice that is pretty interesting to me.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I know as a fact Darwinism was used to justify the execution of Jews in death camps, also Gypsies and homosexuals, the eradication of many people by Stalin and Mao. The Japanese in WW2 considered non Japanese inferior animals and,

Well we all know the story,

People no matter their affiliation use what they want to justify what they want to justify.

Your argument is silly and based on Judaic teaching and information you have never even tried to research, you have no more than dabbled in the bible and then presume you are a scholar of it

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Very much racist but they are still chosen people as well of they change their ways. I wouldn't consider them a race more of a subset of the Israelites that were condemned for their practices. The tribes of Israel all allegorize a different type of mindset and personality. But the way the bible was edited in modern English and Greek changed the allegory and many layers of symbolism and replaced it with a literal interpretation which causes these divisions and misunderstandings but this was meant to happen and done purposely in the end.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Those are all blanket statements about a group of people. Such statements are notoriously racist when used in modern linguistics. I imagine it wouldn't be a far stretch of the imagination to assume that they are equally racist when used to describe ancient groups of people as well. The fact that you don't notice that is pretty interesting to me.

I think I found your problem.

Also notice again that you are comparing modernity to ancient times.
edit on 23-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Look. I admitted in the OP that you are more than apt to call the people's actions in the bible a product of their times. I am trying to argue that bigoted actions exist in the Bible, we should recognize them for what they are, and either remove them or teach that these quotes aren't apt for our times. Stop letting Christians justify their hate because your religious forefathers did the same.

I'm an agnostic. Christians don't like listening to me, but if other Christians were to point these things out, maybe ya'll could reinvigorate membership to your religion outside of brainwashing 3rd world countries with missionaries.

Star and flag for stating that bigoted actions exist in the bible, thats amazing.
Truly how clever you are at stating the obvious..Now tell me what were the consequences of racism in the bible

I am truly stunned at how simple and perverted your argument is.
You have no comprehension of the bible at all.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Did "God" rape the Virgin Mary?

no he didn't, but that would be a good point if Mary hadn't agreed to to be Jesus's mother.

Luke 1:26-38 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Jesus’ Birth Foretold 26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth, 27 to a virgin [r]engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the [s]descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was [t]Mary. 28 And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord [v]is with you.” 29 But she was very perplexed at this statement, and kept pondering what kind of salutation this was. 30 The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; 33 and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.” 34 Mary said to the angel, “How [w]can this be, since I [x]am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the [y]holy Child shall be called the Son of God. 36 And behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and [z]she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. 37 For [aa]nothing will be impossible with God.” 38 And Mary said, “Behold, the [ab]bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

there are numerous muslim clerics and scholars and say ol mo did have a thing for little girls.hell one of the hadith said he vowed to marry a baby that was crawling around. only muslim apologists say he didn't marry a little girl, or lust after them.

and don't go using that the times were different then or their culture arguments, it was just as bad then as it is now.

edit on 23-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

I know as a fact Darwinism was used to justify the execution of Jews in death camps

So? Christians will use anything to promote their scripture based bigotry, even science when it's convenient.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

But was Mohammad unique in that or was child marriage a common thing practiced across many other cultures?

It's the same thing with slavery. It's not right, wasn't right then, but it was something mostly every culture practiced in some form or other.

You can't exactly go around judging the world of that time by today's standard. Now people of today who want to live in today's world and standards by the standards of those days ... absolutely, you can tell them, "Hell, no!"

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

But marrying young women was literally a part of every ancient culture....and I'm talking about YOUNG like 13 yr olds why you choose your tunnel vision on Muhammad and not condemn the whole culture if ancient times as wrong shows you really just want to hate on Muslims

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

no he didn't, but that would be a good point if Mary hadn't agreed to to be Jesus's mother.

Okay, so you contend that Mary consented to "sex" with the "God", who knocks her up. Doesn't that make her an adulteress and a fornicator? Isn't that what Jesus taught about marriage?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: borntowatch

I know as a fact Darwinism was used to justify the execution of Jews in death camps

So? Christians will use anything to promote their scripture based bigotry, even science when it's convenient.

So it's a human thing. Trying to paint a picture that it's only group A or group B that does X, Y or Z is just another form of bigotry.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

13 is a hell of a lot different than 6, or a 2yr old baby. now isn't it.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

link   

originally posted by: windword

Okay, so you contend that Mary consented to "sex" with the "God", who knocks her up. Doesn't that make her an adulteress and a fornicator? Isn't that what Jesus taught about marriage?

And they had actual, physical sex?

Please show me where. God made her pregnant. He can do that without resorting to appearing as a swan like Zeus did with Leda. And since Christ was perfect and without sin ... that's how it was done.

But I suppose the only ones who really would know would be Mary and Joseph.

link   
a reply to: windword

SO? We should just act like complete hypocrites and generalize Christians as bigots? Yea know there lots and lots of interpretations of the bible and lots of Christians view the bible in lots of different ways. Maybe we should stop labeling people? bigots racists

Its an over used word now and its really stupid word to apply to a 2000+ year old text

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Slavery is one of the worst expressions of racism and bigotry. The push to abolish slavery and the slave trade was strongly Christian.

In 1435, Pope Eugene IV banned slavery of Christians in the Canary Isles (Sicut Dudum).

In 1537, Pope Paul III banned slavery of all indigenous peoples, starting with those from the Americas (Sublimus Dei).

William Wilberforce, who made his life's goal the abolition of slavery and the slave trade throughout the British Empire (finally achieved it in 1834). He was a devout Christian.

Abraham Lincoln Issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 and was behind the 13th amendment to the US Constitution (1865), which freed all slaves in America. He was a devout Christian.

The final push to ban slavery worldwide was begun by The League of Nations in 1926 in 'the Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery' and completed in the UN 'Universal Declaration of Human Rights (article 4)' which bans slavery globally. The majority of those who worked to achieve these goals were devout Christians.

Yes, the Bible made reference to slavery, which was a fact of life supported by governments and society up until very recent times.

Old Testament Biblical Law was that all slaves were to be freed, all debts absolved and gifts of livestock, grain and wine be given as parting gifts every seven years at the feast of Jubilees. The book of Deuteronomy proscribes that only the captives in war can become slaves. In Leviticus, it provides that a slave can buy their freedom by paying the equivalent that a hired hand would be paid over the remaining period of indenture. When the Jewish people did not follow these laws, the Prophet Jeremiah warned the King that the nation risked being enslaved by Babylon. The King did not heed the warning and the Babylonian captivity ensued.

In the New Testament, and specifically the First Epistle of Peter, slaves are admonished to obey their masters, "as to the Lord, and not to men". However, masters were told to serve their slaves "in the same way" and "even better" as "brothers", to not threaten them as God is their Master as well.

link   

It's a subject that can take many forms ,such as immigrants as well .I am thinking along the lines of a "we and they" .They would be of a differing set,. sort of what could be considered normal standards .Cannibalism after all was a normal practice among some as well as human sacrifice ,which if taken into consideration might describe modern day army's .

link   

Did "God" rape the Virgin Mary?

It was an immaculate conception

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join