It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You bought it, so you should own it, right? Wrong.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

IT’S OFFICIAL: JOHN Deere and General Motors want to eviscerate the notion of ownership. Sure, we pay for their vehicles. But we don’t own them. Not according to their corporate lawyers, anyway.

In a particularly spectacular display of corporate delusion, John Deere—the world’s largest agricultural machinery maker —told the Copyright Office that farmers don’t own their tractors. Because computer code snakes through the DNA of modern tractors, farmers receive “an implied license for the life of the vehicle to operate the vehicle.”

"John Deere may be out of touch, but it’s not alone. Other corporations, including trade groups representing nearly every major automaker, made the same case to the Copyright Office again and again. It’s worth noting Tesla Motors didn’t join automakers in this argument, even though its cars rely heavily on proprietary software."

It doesn’t have to be. Tell the Copyright Office to side with consumers when it decides which gadgets are legal to modify and repair. Urge lawmakers to support legislation like the Unlocking Technology Act and the Your Own Devices Act, because we deserve the keys to our own products. And support Fair Repair legislation.

"...somehow, the notion of actually owning the things you buy has become revolutionary."

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

That's mad. Let's take it to the logical extreme. I'm drinking a beer at the moment. Once I've finished it will the brewing company pay me for the remains once that beer reeemerges later on tonight?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Didn't that pretty much start with Microsoft, etc. and their computer programming both OS and add-ons?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The behavior and actions of corporations are neither moral or immoral. They are amoral, like a machine. They use human operatives but people are not technically at fault, not morally responsible and disconnected from the behavior of the machine.

The profit machines will feed on people and resources without regard for long term outcomes. They will feed until they are stopped or they run out of food. One or the other.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This whole thing started when Jim bob and his cousin fooled around with the tractors computer and ripped up the transmission. They expected john Deere to fix the tractor because it was under warranty. Same thing with people over clocking their computer cpu.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If that's the way they want to play it, then I expect the car to get much less expensive since I am only paying them for the rights to operate their software in the vehicle itself. The software doesn't cost as much as they charge.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
This whole thing started when Jim bob and his cousin fooled around with the tractors computer and ripped up the transmission. They expected john Deere to fix the tractor because it was under warranty. Same thing with people over clocking their computer cpu.

Then it's a simple matter of saying the warranty only covers the original parts and untampered with machinery. Every computer you buy as a package pretty much has that deal in the warranty. If you upgrade it, the warranty more or less goes poof!

Of course, then you want to have the car repaired under warranty, you have to always have it serviced via your licensed dealership mechanic ... but well ... That's the price you pay for buying new and under warranty.
edit on 22-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Intel has an overclocking warranty you can buy for $25.

AMD is usually cheap enough you can just go ahead and buy another if you burn it out.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

If I was an Amish farmer I'd be laughing.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
That's ok, he doesn't own all that money that makes him rich, the banks do.

I think he forgot that.

edit on 22-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Well, if GM wants to say I don't own any car I might choose to buy from them, I guess I will have to shop somewhere else. Like Honda.

Other car manufacturers should totally capitalize on this -

When you buy from HONDA the car is YOURS. We don't play licensing games!

link   
If they still own it, then they ought to be responsible when it breaks down!
Sounds good, no more repair bills.

link   
He can have his car computer all he wants, please, take it back. However, the metal, rubber and oil.. is mine

I don't own the blueprints, those are locked up in his office somewhere, but the car, is mine
I can even show a receipt.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
If they still own it, then they ought to be responsible when it breaks down!
Sounds good, no more repair bills.

No more running out of petrol/diesel either

I don't think this is the conversation he will expect to have.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You buy real estate, you don't own it unless you pay property tax for the rest of your life. Not much you can do about that.

As far as tractors and cars go, just buy from those manufacturers that do not say you don't own their vehicles. Period.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blastoff
You buy real estate, you don't own it unless you pay property tax for the rest of your life. Not much you can do about that.

As far as tractors and cars go, just buy from those manufacturers that do not say you don't own their vehicles. Period.

Preferably the one's with hand cranks at the front.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Kindly point to the location of the source code.. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Kindly show your license sir..

*hands driving license*

No, your software license sir. FREEZE!!!! ON THE GROUND NOW!

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat
He can have his car computer all he wants, please, take it back. However, the metal, rubber and oil.. is mine

I don't own the blueprints, those are locked up in his office somewhere, but the car, is mine
I can even show a receipt.

But can you start it?

Hell, you key or remote won't even work.

A new form of yard art only called driveway art, I reckon.

What makes you think that they haven't outthought us on this sort of thing?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
And people wonder why I was so pissed about cash for klunkers.

Anything that shrinks the used car market is bad for little people.

My next vehicle will be old enough to not have a computer in it, and Gm can kiss my pasty white buttocks.
edit on 22-4-2015 by Irishhaf because: spelling

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join