It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye's carbon flight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Not taking the flight makes a huge environmental statement. That statement will have more impact than anything they discuss on the plane.
Remember the climate conference in Europe last year? They had to bring in extra limos from other countries to handle the demand. What kind of statement did that make?
People need convinced to live the green lifestyle and this flight does nothing to help.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Considering one flight on a 747 is insignificant to thousands and thousands of other flights that happen everyday.

You are truly grasping at straws here trying to demonize Bill Nye.

Comparing AF1 to other flights world wide is grasping at straws. At least those other 1000's of flights serve some real purpose, as in transporting hundred of thousands of people to points unknown therefore distributing the planes' carbon footprints across those people rather than one plane serving 1 individual, or a handful at best.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

So then what you are saying, just like most of the "celebrity spokespeople", is: "Do what I say - not what I do"?

That's the only thing I see anyone saying. Lead by example. Why do you argue against that sentiment? These anti pollution preachers need to lead by example.

Al Gore is most certainly not one to lead by example. While he preaches on about climate change and carbon footprints, his house uses more energy in a month than the average household does in a year - while "eco-terrorist" George W Bush lives in a surprisingly small ranch house that used every available "green" feature when it was built and gets by on about 25% of the average households electricity usage. Even the very left leaning Snopes couldn't dispute these facts:

www.snopes.com...

(This link is NOT to be taken as an endorsement of W. Just making a point about the "evil" guy being better for the environment in his personal life than the "preacher" is)

The point is, if you don't do it yourself - you have no right to demand that others do it. Call for more investment in alternative fuels or whatever. I can't see why any logical person would be against that. But don't demand others to do things you are unwilling to do yourself.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Somehow not taking a flight to meet with world leaders will send a bigger message and more of an impact than taking the flight?

I just do not see the logic in your deduction.

To truly have an impact one needs to collaborate with those capable of making those changes.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Most business that do work around the country or world have a thing called a teleconference. I would think this is a perfect time to use the technology available to reduce carbon emissions. But then again a business has to buy plane tickets and don't get a free ride from the tax payers.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Cheers mate.

Pleasure to have a civil discussion with someone that has opposing views as me. My apologies for inferring that you were ridiculous!

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: johnwick

It only took you 4 minutes for you to chime in and act as a cheerleader against the environment conservation movement.

You seem to make a habit of posting a bunch of nonsense in the first couple pages of these environmental threads, then disappear especially when someone calls you out on your BS.

This forum used to have a theme "Deny Ignorance".

Using terms like "greenies" is proof that you are not only ignorant, but determined to ridicule those on the environment's side.

All that proves is that there is a group with a green agenda, hence greenies for short.

It isn't proof of anything because you say it is.

Thanks for the personal attacks

That is why I leave these threads.

Zealots like yourself that will not even attempt to consider any evidence but your religious like belief in age.

I get tired of beating my head against a wall.

Sorry you enjoy pointless argument so much.

I find it boring, especially when I have better things to do.

Nothing I have ever typed in one of these threads is bs.

It is all proven facts.

Sorry they don't coincide with agw.

But the truth is the truth.

Deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick
I am just stating facts from what I observe.

Keep up with the ad hominum attacks against those of us who care and are concerned about this Fragile planet we all share.

You claim to researched the climate, but ignored my request to see your residence time calculations for CO2 that support your opinion.

Given that your posts that lack any facts and substance yet you still manage to get multiple stars with your rants, I would say there is an agenda with the climate change deniers to high five each other in these threads.
edit on 22-4-2015 by jrod because: what is wrong with humanity?

edit on 22-4-2015 by jrod because: c

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It would have been much better PR if Bill Nye had drove a Tesla rather than flying, flying to earth day in airforce one is a fail.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I've actually been agreeing with you so far... but in this day and age he can easily speak his message through other means that don't involve much travel at all, and still reach huge audiences. Sorry for the run on sentence, i don't feel like fixing it.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I never liked Bill Nye, the kids did though.

Beakman was far cooler, he had a cool lab rat and a hot little assistant too.

It really burned me when, at the end of one of the science guy episodes, Bill said that he truly believed, given enough time, science would solve all of mankind's problems. Seems to me that science has been used to create most of the man made problems faced by the world.

Science and technology are, of course, not the real problem, it's selfishness, greed and a lack of responsibility among other human failings. Maybe science can cure that with some genetic tinkering and good chemical cocktails.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join