It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Surface Of Venus As Seen From Soviet Venera Probes In 1981

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

only problem is there is no asteroids vaporizing so much H20, not even comets, all dry over there...

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

yeur post make no sense, cos sun is going low... no much activity. that's why extreme weather over the planet Earth... cooling is going on

Yoyr billion years are happening now in few years man.
just look what is happening on other planets... all theories out of window

new will be needet

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZakOlongapo
a reply to: intrptr

only problem is there is no asteroids vaporizing so much H20, not even comets, all dry over there…

Sorry, over where?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZakOlongapo
a reply to: Kapusta

wow. if pictures from 1981 looks bettter then pics from 2015-2014 from mars by nasa... it means it all stinks by BS to high haven... all we know is lie... hmmm

On the other hand, since not only are the Soviet pics from Venus in 1981 not as good as US pics from Mars in 2015, they're not even as good as US pics from Mars in 1976, I guess we're smelling roses.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I cant help it, I need to ask. I am not looking for a conspiracy here, but how did we get from the "Red planet" to the Yellowish? planet? I mean, I see this dark red picture of Mars and recently we have seen other pictures where the colors are completely different
edit on 24-4-2015 by raikata because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shuye

originally posted by: crazyewok

Incredible images... So otherworldly, I feel like joining the next probe.

You would last 10 seconds on Venus

What 10 great seconds that would be.

10 seconds of extreme pain.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Ive always been amazed that the soviets got those landers on venus and managed to send pictures back a true feat of engineering,but the B/W spherical images were pretty rough so its great to see them corrected and colorised ,it just blows my mind to think that there is billions of alien worlds out there yet so many people think we are the centre of the universe.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: raikata
I cant help it, I need to ask. I am not looking for a conspiracy here, but how did we get from the "Red planet" to the Yellowish? planet? I mean, I see this dark red picture of Mars and recently we have seen other pictures where the colors are completely different

Correct me if im wrong anyone but nasa purposefully put a red tint over the mars photos for reasons unknown ,i remember one of the landers had a colour disc visible on pictures (a physical disc with primary colours attached to the lander) this is for calibrating the images properly and you could see that the colours were wrong and when corrected mars doesn't look so red.
edit on 25-4-2015 by amurphy245 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: raikata

Colour response of the camera, and the subsequent colour balancing (or lack thereof) play a big role here. The yellowish photos you see coming from Curiosity rover are raw, unbalanced images where there's too much of the green colour, due to how the CCD sensor works. The balanced images are available though the PDS archive.

www.nbcnews.com...

Jim Bell, an astronomer at Arizona State University who is the lead scientist for the Opportunity rover's panoramic camera, has acknowledged that getting the colors right "is not an exact science." To make the job easier, color calibration targets have been installed on Opportunity as well as the Curiosity rover. Pictures from Mars are adjusted so that they reflect the colors and brightness as seen on the targets.

All in all, though, Mars isn't as vividly red as often portrayed in the media. It's more light-brown / tan / sandy colour, but all the dust in the atmosphere makes it even redder.
edit on 25-4-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Definitely a planet to visit if you dont believe in the greenhouse effect. The surface looks absolutely fried.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thank you both for the detailed answers.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat
Russian technology is obviously inferior.

Has the US ever put probes on Venus and taken pictures of that or higher quality?

Can you also link to the source and full size pictures please.

We can let the Russians take pride in their persistent campaign at Venus. It's the only other planet they've ever had any measure of success at -- that, and a Halley's Comet fly-by thirty years ago, then -- nothing. Zilch. Nada. Nichevo. Their deep space program is DEAD.

They can enjoy seeing our missions to Mars, Mercury, many asteroids and comets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and Vesta and Ceres too. And into interstellar space with the Voyagers.

Oh, yes. A hell-hole planet like Venus is just where the Russians feel at home?

Just teasing.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace.....
Granted, Venus and Merecury aren't precisely tidally locked, but the Sun's gravitational influence does play a big role. Consider the orbit and rotation of Mercury with respect to the Sun: en.wikipedia.org... In its very elongated orbit, Mercury seems to be tidally locked when nearest to the Sun, but the Sun "lets it go" when Mercury is the furthest away, allowing it to make half a turn.

It's weirder than THAT.

Mercury IS tidally locked in a 3:2 resonance -- its rotation rate is constant, so if you play with a model you'll see it makes one full turn relative to the sun -- from sunrise to next sunrise, say -- every TWO Mercury 'years'. So it's 'day' is twice as long as its year.

Venus rotates slowly retrograde, creating its own amazing coincidence. Every Earth-Venus synodic period [the planets line up straight out in their orbits around the sun], Venus is 'almost' turning the same face towards Earth. Not quite exact, but awfully close for a coincidence -- which it HAS to be since gravitational forces cannot lock it into that pattern.

Or there's some other explanation. You guys solve it -- my generation couldn't.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: wildespace

That makes the most sense. The side of the planet rotating away from the sun should be pulled harder, the closer in.

The gravity gradient works like this: a planet rotates about its center of inertial MASS, but external gravity fields attract it centered at its center of GRAVITY -- which because of inverse square diminution, is higher on the nearer side than the farther side.

These two points are close but not the same. So imagine an object being tugged at one point, but swiveling about another point a few meters or more away. This creates a torque.

The torque balances out through one complete rotation UNLESS the object has some plasticity, so the shape actually changes during the 'day', and so the 'tug' doesn't balance but accumulates over millions of years.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

These two points are close but not the same. So imagine an object being tugged at one point, but swiveling about another point a few meters or more away. This creates a torque.

Like a gyroscope? Can I beg of you another (department of Entropy) question, do planets rotation "slow down", Is earth slowing down?

If not, what keeps it spinning at the same rate?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
But the landscape in the 2 pics look very different.. was this probe able to move?

Two cameras, one on each side of the lander. The original idea was to use them in concert to create a 360 degree panoramic view.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Incredible images... So otherworldly, I feel like joining the next probe.

You would last 10 seconds on Venus

A ten second (wonderous and likely painful) death followed by eternal fame for being the first human on Venus.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: intrptr
Forgive me, so Venus is slower rotation than Earth? Because of the Suns gravity? Maybe earth would be pulled into slowing down some if it were closer.

That's not the way it works. Rotation is not affected by gravity that way.

yes it is. It's called tidal drag. It's why the moon always shows the same side towards Earth, and it's why Earth's rotation is being slowed down by the tidal drag of the moon.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join