It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Trouble in Little China

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I wasn't expecting so many comments on this one. I hope you all enjoy the movie.

"Son of a b*tch must pay". Wife's never seen it. 80's movie night tomorrow

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

She's in for a treat then. Have fun.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Great movie we watch it whenever its on. Just loved the three Storms and the way they just drop in.

My sons could never take their eyes off the Chinese girl with the green eyes and Kim Cattrell who was gorgeous.

It combined a lot of laughter with some 'great bizarre' from another culture. I was sorry to see that some Asians felt it offensive as I doubt any offence was intended. Its certainly stood the test of time with the enthusiasm shown here.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I liked the three Storms, too. The one with the lightning reminds me of Rayden from Mortal Kombat. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for him. The way that one blew up near the end always makes me laugh, too. He looked like one of the Garbage Pail Kids.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I love Thunder!!! (the raiden looking guy) Carter Wong the actor was/is a actual bad ass. He was the former martial arts instructor to the Royal Hong Kong Police Department.

"Pway your cawds wite and you rive to tawk about it!!!"

In the directors commentary John Carpenter wanted to give more lines to Thunder but couldn't cause Carter Wong had such a soft and gentle voice that it sounded wrong, so they just didn't give him many lines.

And YES according to Mortal Combat creator David Boon, Raiden and Shang Tsung were based off of Thunder and Lo Pan.

When Lightning is killed at the end of the movie by Egg Chen (he drops the statue on his head) the lighting arcing around forms the Chinese letter "carpenter" in honor of John Carpenter the director.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

That's a nice bit of trivia. Thanks. I actually think he would have been more creepy with a soft and gentle voice-considering how they showed him and his partners killing a lot of people.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Apparently Carter is a super nice guy and it shows when he tries to talk regardless of what he's actually physically doing. So they had to limit his lines.

The whole first scene with Egg Chen at the lawyers was added after production at the producer's insistence (and was written by said producer) who felt that Jack's character wasn't patriotic enough in light of movies like Rambo. Apparently he didn't get the joke was that Jack's full of bravado but can't fight.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Big Trouble in Little China is a cult classic. I heard they are remaking it.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

That would be something. I wonder who they would have in it and if they would mess it up, and how bad if they did.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

From what I understand is they were trying to turn it into a comic book following the tales and life of Jack Burton. If it's successful then they MAY consider doing a movie based on the comic. Not literally a part 2. John Carpenter said he wanted it to end as it was with no follow up.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
One of my all-time favorites, and some great, great lines....

There are always rumors of a sequel, but never pans out.

Such a unique, strange, and great little movie.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Who doesn't like Kurt Russell? The Thing is another great one of his. Love the sombrero.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TownCryer

Don't forget Used Cars. That's a classic Kurt film too.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TownCryer

I love The Thing. I'll have to look for that one, too.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

BIG T IN LITTLE C! That movie is beyond awesome! I used to play a drinking game to this movie. I think I only made it halfway through. Some of the rules:
Drink whenever you see characters enter an elevator
Jack Burton mentions getting his truck back
Electricity is seen

I can't remember the rest, but those three are enough to get you pretty wasted in of themselves.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I just plain drink when I watch the movie. But I'll drink anytime Jack says a famous line.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Cool, never watched this before, im only 20 min in and it already looks like the epitome of 80's cheesy. The good kind of cheesy. The soundtrack, the effects, the unnecessary over acting, the 'chinese standoff'.

It brings to mind Eddie Murphy's Golden Child, that I watched countless times as a kid on VHS. Funnily, I'm sure half of the asian actors on this were on that one too.
good times...

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Its a good movie, Kurt Russell is a great actor. He was really good in the sci-fi film The Thing as well. I have honestly watched that movie at least 20 times. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's funny. I'll have to try that the next time I watch it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join