It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Atheists Attack mainly Christians and Muslims but not Jews?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Shadow Herder
Awesome replies, some thought provoking and informative.

There is that speculation that there will be a one world religion and its master will sit in Israel but only after a major war. The battle of Armageddon begins in the valley of Megiddo in Israel.

Agnostic says:

Personally I think you need to relax.

Any more relaxed and I would be in a Coma haha.

But seriously, it wasnt made up, its actually thousands of years old.

In Revelation 16 is a description of the end of the age, and the last battle being fought at Armageddon between the forces of good and the forces of evil. The text: (16:16): "And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon".

In Hebrew the place can be interpreted as "Har-Megiddo", where Har is mountain or hill, and Megiddo is the ancient site of Tell Megiddo.

The ancient city of Megiddo is located 30Km south east of Haifa, and is located at a strategic entrance through the eastern Carmel hills where an ancient trade road (Via Maris). In this site an important City once flourished, and mentioned in the Old Testament as a strong City that played an important role in the history of the Biblical Israel. For more information - see Tell Megiddo.
www.biblewalks.com...

edit on 21-4-2015 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadow Herder

Dude. Raised JW. I've read that tome from front to back over 5 times. WAY over if I want to think about it. I don't. I'm familiar with that.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

May I also add that most Christians (excluding Christian cults
and The Catholic church) are also ignorant of the fact that
since they consider that you have to believe every word in the
bible is the word of God or be damned, they are ignorant of the
fact that the entire New Testament was Canonized by The
Catholic church, and therefore they believe in The Papal
Inerrancy Doctrine.

I ask Christians who state the the entire bible is inerrantly true,
"You must then, agree with the Papal Inerrancy Doctrine" and
they vehemently disagree, even going so far as to say that
that doctrine is evil.

And then I remind them that every book in the NT was declared
by popes to be inerrantly true under that doctrine, they just want
to argue.

But, it was under that doctrine and by popes that these NT books
were canonized and other ones were not.

Rebel 5

edit on 21-4-2015 by rebelv because: syntax

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Christians will give them the time of day.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebelv
a reply to: Involutionist

I ask Christians who state the the entire bible is inerrantly true,
"You must then, agree with the Papal Inerrancy Doctrine" and
they vehemently disagree, even going so far as to say that
that doctrine is evil.

And then I remind them that every book in the NT was declared
by popes to be inerrantly true under that doctrine, they just want
to argue.

There is/are reasons for this. But there is no transference from infallibility of scripture as it were, to infallibility of the pope. Or the other way around. It is what it is pope like it or not.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
They don't try to stand out as much as the other two, and possibly have a lesser amount of fanatics compared to the other two.

Besides, Christianity and Islam still have active conflicts and have a blood stained history of bad blood, to this day which is why Atheists pick at them.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Most atheists here are recovering Christians. One can only talk about what he knows.
edit on 21-4-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: grammar

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Maybe because Jews in general don't proselytize as much, and by default less annoying??

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Jews aren't that assertive about converting operatives. That's why Athiests don't react assertively to them.

It has nothing to do with a moral judgement or a judgement of relative merit.

This is exactly why Atheists do not argue thoroughly about Judaism. They simply aren't "loud" enough of a group. From what I've seen (and certainly the reason why I argue about religions), most atheists only debate directly to people who are intrinsically aggressive in their position at putting down others' beliefs, or lack there of. Additionally, they also mainly administer confrontation with those who are avidly attempting to spread misinformation, or actively trying to convert people to their belief system.

I grew up in a predominantly Jewish family, and have been around Jewish people my entire life. I have never heard them try to argue or belittle other peoples beliefs. I have never even heard them argue about anything within their own religion!

Yet Christians argue about everything within their own religion, not only to the atheists, but to people who are also christian! I'm not familiar with inner scrabbling of Muslim individuals; nevertheless, they are almost equally as "loud" as the Christians are about their religion.

The issue is that the most obnoxious people are the same people who are going to be thwarted against their loud, pushy positions.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Fair enough. I take it the race of the person will be referenced from now on in every post of yours for that very reason and has been shown to be consistent in your past post as well?

edit on 22-4-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Not sure how this made 6 pages...

The greatest fear of Atheists are converting psychos and the numbers to run the government.

There is zero threat of that from Jews anywhere not even in Israel where half the people, literally 50% range from Atheist/Agnostic to just following basic holidays because it's an excuse to eat...

Far from converting Jews won't even let you in without a lot of hassle even if you ask... It's a private golf course there lol

Tell a lot of Jews you don't "believe in God" the response half the time will be "yeah I have this theory we are part of a computer simulation" or "well the universe has some kind of order but I doubt it interferes" or some such response...

Likely, Jews are the biggest supporters of Atheist/Agnostic thought per capita in the West, it's damn hard to oppose things like "darwinism" or "Physics" when your mom wont talk to you if you don't go to College

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: uncommitted

Whenever I discuss the OT, I'm also discussing Jewish beliefs. I just lump Jewish beliefs into Christian OT beliefs. I know that the OT doesn't do the Torah justice, but they are the same stories. Same massacres, same accounts of god being an asshole. So that's why I don't distinguish.

That being said, Jews tend to keep their intolerance to themselves. So backlash against them is going to be minimized.

That's an interesting response. There isn't a 'Christian' OT, there is a Christian New Testament, but the Bible binds the two together.

Sure. Whatever. I think you get what I'm putting down.

Do all atheists keep their intolerance to themselves? No, not at all, which I always find strange.

Careful, do you think that questioning someone's beliefs is being intolerant? Because it most certainly isn't. I can question your beliefs but at the same time be tolerant of your decision to believe them.

Questioning someones beliefs? Absolutely not intolerant. Attacking/ridiculing them because you have a different belief set? Yes, intolerant. Actually, intolerant isn't really the right word is it, because that makes the assumption you have to tolerate my personal beliefs and I have to tolerate yours. In the real world I wouldn't know or wish to know what your beliefs are so there is no context of tolerating.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Attack is a strong word.

You claim Christians are being attacked here, when in reality they're not, their imagined right to be ignorant bigots is what is being confronted on a regular basis. Their belief that they "own marriage" or have any right to dictate what rights others have based on their own ignorant beliefs is what the (mostly young) are rejecting.

Muslims are attacked far more, because there are a lot of very ignorant people who equate Muslim with Terrorist. Obviously that's no more true than calling all Catholics child abusers.

For the most part, there are not very many Jewish people attempting to inflict their religious notions on others in the way Christians are, or radical Muslims. While there is condemnation (rightly) for the way the Israeli government abuses their neighbours, the Israeli government is not the same as the Jewish people.

If America had Jewish people forming groups to campaign against equal rights for others based on their own ignorant beliefs, then the story would be different.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist

But back to thread question.... If people were to question christianity and Islam which is quite the hot topic right now in the world, why not question all religions. Is discussing Judaism an anti semitic act? Did you know that the Jewish religion does not believe that Jesus was the Messiah?

I agree. I find it interesting (based on my experiences) that Muslims and Jews seem to be more aware of their roots, whereas Christians seem to be oblivious (more often than not) to the fact Christianity, Islam and Judaism are three parts that make up the Abrahamic Religions.

The look on some hardcore Christian fundamentalist faces when they find out that Muslims worship the same divinity as they do is priceless.

That statement is technically right and wrong. Christians have the Holy Trinity at the centre of their faith. Judaism and Islam do not. I don't know any hardcore Christian fundamentalists, on the whole that seems to be an American thing, but the Christians I do know either would know that if they have an interest, or would tend to focus more on the messages of Christ in the New Testament - which kind of nullifies your point to an extent.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

a reply to: liejunkie01

Because they have been educated to only think inside the box. Outside thinking is blasphemous. The box is their faith and if it is wrong then their reality is shattered. Therefore they can't afford to think outside the box.

I'm sorry, you have just painted billions of people with one broad stroke and I'm afraid it was the wrong brush. Perhaps you are showing the limitations of your own little box in which you feel comfortable making such assertations because within your little box it makes sense.

liejunkie01, I was going to reply to your post, but realised it would be hugely arrogant to without knowing what the views are you speak of - for all I know it's advocating or committing serious crime which a lot of people regardless of any belief (or lack of) they have might have a problem with, or perhaps it's something completely benign and you are assuming that those who shout loudest represent the majority.
edit on 22-4-2015 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Nope. If I believe that a set of beliefs is ridiculous, I'll say it. That doesn't mean I don't like you because I don't like your beliefs. You can try to believe that all you want, but you are wrong.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

a reply to: liejunkie01

Because they have been educated to only think inside the box. Outside thinking is blasphemous. The box is their faith and if it is wrong then their reality is shattered. Therefore they can't afford to think outside the box.

I'm sorry, you have just painted billions of people with one broad stroke and I'm afraid it was the wrong brush. Perhaps you are showing the limitations of your own little box in which you feel comfortable making such assertations because within your little box it makes sense.

No, I'm pretty spot on. I know it sucks to hear the truth, but that's your problem. Not mine. Christianity has been shown by science to be flawed and most likely not true. Everyone who believes it is believing a fairy tale in lieu of evidence that says it is a flawed and incorrect belief. If that describes billions of people, then so be it. It's a shame that a lie such as Christianity is so pervasively believed, but hey I can't change that and it is their decision to do so. Unfortunately, it starts with brainwashing and being told that Christianity is true. It's hard to shake such beliefs when you've been told they are true your whole life.
edit on 22-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Very true. If I am debating with a Christian, pretty much everything they say or reply back with is scripture. I could post a million academic articles but they won't read a single one.

Could you provide context to that comment? If it's a theological question, then responding from a scripture kind of makes sense and I would imagine you may get the same from someone who follows Islam or Judaism - assuming they have some level of knowledge around theology and can put any comments into perspective based on the discussion.

If the discussion is about a non theological subject, then you just know some weird people and are making the assumption they represent millions of people globally.
edit on 22-4-2015 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I was under impression that Jews, Christians and Muslim believe in the same God?! Isn't criticizing one and finding no evidence of God existence supposed to mean other are at false as well??

There is also little fact that Jews are not recruiting, you can only be born into Judaism, where Christianity and Islam mostly spread through wars or through 'help'... (just few years back one of local Christian organization was found guilty of giving migration papers only to those who would change from Islam to Christianity... then they wonder why some find ministries in Africa not welcomed, even they provide medical and humanitarian help.

From what I know about Torah (first 5 books of bible), is that God is even more vengeful, not easy to sell stuff..

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
I was under impression that Jews, Christians and Muslim believe in the same God?! Isn't criticizing one and finding no evidence of God existence supposed to mean other are at false as well??

Christians will get very offended if you try to tell them their god is the same as the Muslim god. I've tried it before. I mean, I agree, they certainly are the same god, but that's why you get threads like this.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join