It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deli Shut Down After Owner Doesn't Understand Racism:

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Blacks and Hispanics are allowed to celebrate their heritage. Why aren't whites allowed the same freedom?

Those two account for.....2 whole months. White history is then celebrated the other 10 months.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter
a reply to: Spider879

I can't say that I'm for the term African American, honestly 80% of them have never been to Africa so how are they African American?

I know who're people here in the US from johanasburg , they are identified as white even tho they truly are African American

All that pc title does is further divide....and trust me I know about divide

I'm a gay professional woman in a traditionally male dominated industry, I get it but I also have some common sense

It is the Africanism that survive from among AAs culturally that points to Africa as a starting point, the speech patterns of Black folks is laced with such and is a clue to their origins.
bongo – West African boungu
buckra – "white man or person", from Efik and Ibibio mbakara [3]
chigger – possibly from Wolof and Yoruba jiga "insect")
cola – from West African languages (Temne kola, Mandinka kolo)
djembe – from West African languages
jazz – from West African languages (Mandinka jasi, Temne yas)
jive – possibly from Wolof jev
juke, , jukebox – possibly from Wolof and Bambara dzug through Gullah
Marímbula, plucked musical instrument (lamellophone) of the Caribbean islands
merengue (dance) possibly from Fulani mererek i meaning to shake or quiver
mumbo jumbo- from mandigo name Maamajombo, a masked dancer
mojo – from Fula moco'o "medicine man" through Louisiana Creole French or Gullah
obeah – from West African (Efik ubio, Twi ebayifo)
okra – from Igbo ókùrù
sambo – Fula sambo meaning "uncle"
tango – probably from Ibibio tamgu
tote – West African via Gullah
voodoo – from West African languages (Ewe and Fon vodu "spirit")
yam – West African (Fula nyami, Twi anyinam)
en.wikipedia.org...
These are just a few examples of surviving Africanism among America's Black populous
The stories and tales of Br'er Rabbit and Anansi the spider, it manifest itself in the visual arts in American quilting culture

Grave stones with Nisibidi derived writing.
It survived in the cooking too much to get into but one can start with gumbo.
And spirituality one can point to places like New Orleans with their Vudun
African American speech patterns is more than just slang, it derives from it's own dialect,and even AAs who speak standard New England style English will switch back to African American vernacular English out side a professional setting among family and friends.

A very good read on the subject is Flash Of The Spirit can't recommend it enough for those who have some interest in the subject.
edit on 22-4-2015 by Spider879 because: addendum

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Blacks and Hispanics are allowed to celebrate their heritage. Why aren't whites allowed the same freedom?

They are allowed! No one stopped this man.
"White" isn't a heritage, by the way.

If White isn't a heritage, neither is Black, nor is Hispanic. Go on, say it.

Say it you hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

They are allowed! No one stopped this man.
"White" isn't a heritage, by the way.

Say it you hypocrite.

White is a color not a cultural heritage.
black is a color not a cultural heritage.

Hispanic is a language group with many different cultures.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I see no one responded to me because it doesn't fit their agenda. What I expected I suppose.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I see no one responded to me because it doesn't fit their agenda. What I expected I suppose.

Did you see the replies a page or two back?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

My last response was ...

White Americans can trace it to Africa too. How many years back do we go?

Met with silence. So how far back do we go? 500 years? 1,000 years? 5,000 years? Some arbitrary number that is chosen to ensure only black people are included?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

My last response was ...

White Americans can trace it to Africa too. How many years back do we go?

Met with silence. So how far back do we go? 500 years? 1,000 years? 5,000 years? Some arbitrary number that is chosen to ensure only black people are included?

Oh ok..well everyone is, but you and I know we are talking about the most recent common ancestors from a bioanthropological POV,
What makes an African an African or a European a European an Asian an Asian etc..is it not in part biological aka gene expression,cultural and shared historical connectedness??
If you were to ask me if African Americans are Africans I'd say no!, they are African derived and influenced see the above explanation and examples as to why, for they are also European,Native American and in a lot of cases Asian derived biologically and culturally that's the American part .
In a social context most I'd as part of an ethnic group formally called "Black" now increasingly self I'd as African American for reasons already explained.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

And my response is some "African Americans" have no connection to Africa for over 70,000 years. There is no cultural or historical connectedness.

That is why African American is a ridiculous term. Black, or when known, country of origin if they prefer. I work with almost all black people, 95% plus, I don't know a single one who self ID's as AA, they all ID as black or a select few use a country of origin. Some get very offended when called AA.
edit on 23-4-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
"African Americans" are about as African as I am German. My relatives came over here in the early 1900s. When were there's brought over?

I am American. So are they. Is a white South African allowed to call themselves "African American" if they move here? Or would that be racist?

Very sick of the hypocrisy in today's society. I'm tired of being told I'm wrong, or I was born privileged simply because I am white. Come live my life and tell me I am privileged.

I'm tired of "Black Entertainment Television", "Miss Black America", "Black History Month". People want to be equal and yet all they do is segregate themselves. Black History should just be PART of history. Etc. Call me a racist. I don't care. The fact is everyone is. Anyone who denies it is just lying to themselves.

This story, and the back lash against the owner just goes to show that in today's society, it is perfectly okay, and pretty much expected to disparage people for being white, or celebrating THEIR heritage. Being a white christian male in this world today is apparently the most despised thing of all. And I for one am tired of it.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

And my response is some "African Americans" have no connection to Africa for over 70,000 years. There is no cultural or historical connectedness.

That is patently not true Africans arrived in the Americas en masse at roughly the same time as Europeans, there are too much evidence to the contrary.
The only group of African derived people living in the U.S who deny any African historical or cultural connectedness
are a group of very vocal but confused bunch who called themselves Hebrew Israelites that annoys the hell out white passers by on the corner of 42nd and Time Sq. or in Harlem berating African shop keepers, for supposedly selling their "Hebrew ancestors" into Slavery.

That is why African American is a ridiculous term. Black, or when known, country of origin if they prefer. I work with almost all black people, 95% plus, I don't know a single one who self ID's as AA, they all ID as black or a select few use a country of origin.

And there may yet be others who get offended by calling them Black and I know plenty who use both terms and are not offended by either..like myself.

edit on 24-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

Say it you hypocrite.

Now which whites are you talking about. The Polish, German, Russians..etc.

How is white a culture when so many people have different backgrounds..

So yeah white is not a culture..then again is neither is black or any color...when they several different backgrounds.

Example..blacks..Jamaican, African, American, French..etc

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Never never ever let white forget they are TOTALY Racist.

um! white people went to war to end slavery.
white people run under ground slave escapes.

If not for white people we would Still have Slaves!!!
but the black will NEVER "say thank you!".

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

That is patently not true Africans arrived in the Americas en masse at roughly the same time as Europeans, there are too much evidence to the contrary.

And some of them come from other places, such as Australian/Asian aboriginals, and have ZERO connection to Africa, but because of the color of their skin they are African American. Ludicrous.

The only group of African derived people living in the U.S who deny any African historical or cultural connectedness
are a group of very vocal but confused bunch who called themselves Hebrew Israelites that annoys the hell out white passers by on the corner of 42nd and Time Sq. or in Harlem berating African shop keepers, for supposedly selling their "Hebrew ancestors" into Slavery.

Don't know any of them, nice of you to speak up for every single person in the US who is black though.

And there may yet be others who get offended by calling them Black and I know plenty who use both terms and are not offended by either..like myself.

I haven't met any of them. Too bad. It's what you are, black. Just like I am White (or Pink). I love when a Jamaican friend would be called African American because she's from Jamaica, when she has ZERO African connection, at all, on either side of her family.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Let's look at some more people that would be labeled African American if they moved to America.

They are only 75,000 years removed from Africa, why not?
edit on 24-4-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Just wondering.....is there a Sioux, Lacota, Iroquios, Crow etc etc, Heritage Day/Week/Year?

Somehow I think they have more right to the title than Black Fellas, Euros or others.

Anyone ask them what they think?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
EDIT: Pic won't load right.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I know what you mean Occy.....But Oz black Fellas arent even 70,000 years from Africa, more like 150,000 years, they have Neanderthal and Densovian blood/genes in them, dont forget, something the Africans dont have.
And as far as Jamaica goes, I think they were African slaves sent there by white fellas, to work the plantations, so Yes, she is African. As are all the West Indians, Haiti etc etc.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: gort51

And as far as Jamaica goes, I think they were African slaves sent there by white fellas, to work the plantations, so Yes, she is African. As are all the West Indians, Haiti etc etc.

This is where the ignorance comes from. Just because slaves were sent to Jamaica does not mean every darker skinned Jamaican comes from those slaves, or has any connection to Africa. Yet America wants to label them all African American.

ETA: Want to make it clear most do have African roots, probably 80-90%. But not all do. Her darker skin comes from her Asian heritage, but because she's darker skinned from Jamaica .. African American. Makes a lot of sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DerekJR321

"African Americans" are about as African as I am German. My relatives came over here in the early 1900s. When were there's brought over?

That maybe true yet there are many German American social clubs and societies that promote the culture of their ancestors home land, it in no way take away from their sense of Americanness but rather add to it, for without it I wouldn't know what a Hamburger is or a Frankfurter even good beer and in some cases use of language as is spoken in America today.

Very sick of the hypocrisy in today's society. I'm tired of being told I'm wrong, or I was born privileged simply because I am white. Come live my life and tell me I am privileged.

White privileges is simply being given the benefit of doubt it do not say you can't suffer or have no problems and everything is just peachy..why you think there are so many wrongful deaths of African American at the hands of overzealous trigger happy cops..because they are presumed guilty just by being Black, do this test with a Black friend, go to Mid town Manhattan have your friend dressed in the exact fashion as you hail a cab, next having him hail a cab..see what happens the results of that simple test will underscore what white privileges all about.

I'm tired of "Black Entertainment Television", "Miss Black America", "Black History Month". People want to be equal and yet all they do is segregate themselves. Black History should just be PART of history. Etc. Call me a racist. I don't care. The fact is everyone is. Anyone who denies it is just lying to themselves.

Again do you understand that BET came about because MTV simply refused to air any Black entertainers outside of Michael Jackson and Prince right??.. while at the same time on the streets the underground of Hiphop arts and artist was the thing,BET developed out of a need, and gave MTV a good run for their money because they ignored the urban street.
Miss Black America pageant came about for very similar reasons, execs in the pageantry industry simply were not interested so Black folks created their own now it's an institution ,same with Black or African American publications time was if there wasn't a riot or if it bleeds it leads style story, mainstream publication would be interested in the social life of African Americans or Black folks, I mean when was the last time you picked an issue of Jet,Ebony or Black Enterprise ..gonna take a wild guess and say neverrrrr!!! and why?? because it holds no meaning for you! and if you ran a magazine or History Ch. you would lacked that same interest and you be equally convinced that your readership/viewership had very little interest in either the people or content, would you even bother consider giving them space?.
And I don't go around calling folks racist for having an opinion.

This story, and the back lash against the owner just goes to show that in today's society, it is perfectly okay, and pretty much expected to disparage people for being white, or celebrating THEIR heritage. Being a white christian male in this world today is apparently the most despised thing of all. And I for one am tired of it.

First off everyone knows he was taking a piss, white ppl celebrate their heritage every day it is called the norm, you see it in the movies, books,example the History ch. is all about celebrating white folks history and contribution once in a blue moon they will throw others a bone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join