It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul explains why Americans don't believe....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
America will ever become a Police State and why people don't care if their freedoms are taken away as long as they're safe from terror.

The question is no longer rhetorical. We are not yet living in a total police state, but it is fast approaching. The seeds of future tyranny have been sown, and many of our basic protections against government have been undermined. The atmosphere since 2001 has permitted Congress to create whole new departments and agencies that purport to make us safer- always at the expense of our liberty. But security and liberty go hand-in-hand. Members of Congress, like too many Americans, don�t understand that a society with no constraints on its government cannot be secure. History proves that societies crumble when their governments become more powerful than the people and private institutions.

Unfortunately, the new intelligence bill passed by Congress two weeks ago moves us closer to an encroaching police state by imposing the precursor to a full-fledged national ID card. Within two years, every American will need a �conforming� ID to deal with any federal agency-- including TSA at the airport.

Undoubtedly many Americans and members of Congress don�t believe America is becoming a police state, which is reasonable enough. They associate the phrase with highly visible symbols of authoritarianism like military patrols, martial law, and summary executions. But we ought to be concerned that we have laid the foundation for tyranny by making the public more docile, more accustomed to government bullying, and more accepting of arbitrary authority- all in the name of security. Our love for liberty above all has been so diminished that we tolerate intrusions into our privacy that would have been abhorred just a few years ago. We tolerate inconveniences and infringements upon our liberties in a manner that reflects poorly on our great national character of rugged individualism. American history, at least in part, is a history of people who don�t like being told what to do. Yet we are increasingly empowering the federal government and its agents to run our lives.

Full Story

This is an excellent reason as to why many of you wonder why America doesn't wake up to what's going on in America today. Especially those who believe a police state is coming or already here. Nevertheless, most people are concerned about their saftey than their freedom. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Interesting article,

I am one of those people that feel that our government is creating to many agencies that truly does not merit any purpose but to empower the government more.

That worries me, and it should make any other American that loves freedom and the beauty of our constitution also.

And the article very well express the same concerns I have, our government is mean to be for the people and by the people, not to oppress the people in the name of "safety".

I think we have been tag enough in the name of "our safety" and more tagging is really not necessary, at the end the true menace of our society will still avoid the government and will run free while the real good citizens of the US will be under supervision.

You know mrmulder that the congress does not have time to read most of the bills that are put on the table, and they just sign them because they are told to do so or let say "get pay to do so"

Most of them cares not about the American people but they are more into kept saving their butts.

And when it comes to privacy, we have lost that a long time ago when the first laws invading it was put in effect, all in the name of "for the good of the nation"

Yes, we have been robbed blindly of most of our civil rights all for the fanatical believe that the government is only do it for our own good.

[edit on 21-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Interesting article,

I am one of those people that fell that our government is creating to many agencies that truly does not merit any purpose but to empower the government more.

That worries me, and it should make any other American that loves freedom and the beauty of our constitution also.

Unfortunately, most Americans aren't worried. They're glad the government has more power. Because now they feel more "safe."

And the article very well express the same concerns I have, our government is mean to be for the people and by the people, not to oppress the people in the name of "safety".

I know. It should be "We the People." Instead, it's becoming "We the Government."

I think we have been tag enough in the name of "our safety" and more tagging is really not necessary, at the end the true menace of our society will still avoid the government and will run free while the real good citizens of the US will be under supervision.

You know mrmulder that the congress does not have time to read most of the bills that are put on the table, and they just sign them because they are told to do so or let say "get pay to do so"

The Patriot Act is an excellent example of that. My mom thinks the Patriot Act is a Great thing and hopes it expands to keep her safe.

Most of them cares not about the American people but they are more into kept saving their butts.

That is so true. If they truly cared about us they would not be over taxing us. Plus, they would've done everything in their power to preven 9/11.

And when it comes to privacy, we have lost that a long time ago when the first laws invading it was put in effect, all in the name of "for the good of the nation"

Yes, we have been robbed blindly of most of our civil rights all for the fanatical believe that the government is only do it for our own good.

Sadly, most Americans don't realize that or don't care. As my mom put it, "You must give up your freedoms and liberties just to be safe." Personally, I can still be safe without having to give up anything. I'd rather live in freedom than in fear.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Oh, I believe it, I really do.

But since we're bleeding heart liberals who are in bed with Osama, there's unfortunatly nothing that can be done about it.

Let's all go together to get the chips implanted in our arses, atleast it will unite us, if not only for a brief instance before we're banished to our jobs and homes, safe, secure, stressless...from this ever present threat of terrorism.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
That's what this is about. If you believe the government story, you are likely going to agree with the acts supposedly meant to give us more security. What kills me is that so many top notch minds here at ATS can tear most subjects apart so nicely, with such great words, and yet when it comes to the issue of 9/11 and who did it, *poof*- facts, evidence, and reasoning seem to vanish in favor of some impenitrable wall of righteousness and disbelief. To me that is more frustrating than just about anything.

When asked to back up the government story with proof, none of them can answer the big questions with any kind of real compelling argument. Instead they prefer to hide behind their wall, disconnecting any such possibility of an inside job from all existence. PistolPete's assertion that we have been divided and conquered is so true. Because until the 9/11 issue is resolved, divided and conquered we shall remain. I don't see any way that two people who see 9/11 on opposite sides of the fence can realistically come to any sort of agreement on all the events that followed, including the legitimacy of war in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the installment of the Patriot Act. It just can't happen. From where I sit, the case against the government on 9/11 is very strong, and the case for them is very weak and unsupported. Hey, I'd love nothing more than to believe it was 19 hijackers. But sorry, the summation of all evidence points to the government, not cavemen.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In all fairness, back in the day, all you had to do was organize some people with guns and keep your liberty.

In the modern age, this is no longer a possibility.

The entire spirit of the Right To Bear Arms was to keep such a thing from happening. Sadly, this could not keep up with technology, and apart from voting against those who would further our enslavement, there isn't much we can do.

Moreover, as evidenced by the last two elections, we don't even have THAT power anymore...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well, If this does happen, what can we do? I will not let my country turn into such a thing. I love the United States. So what can we do after it happens because obviously after the next terrorist attack, our freedoms will be gone. I think most people realize that but what can we do?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spehno
Well, If this does happen, what can we do? I will not let my country turn into such a thing. I love the United States. So what can we do after it happens because obviously after the next terrorist attack, our freedoms will be gone. I think most people realize that but what can we do?

Nothing which is why most Americans will be so dissapointed when that time comes because that's when they'll realize they've been fearing the wrong people. Not the terrorist but the U.S. government.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Is that they did not put Ron Paul on their ballot again. Bejeebus be praised! Imagine HIM & KERRY on the podium with Dim Son!!
But he need not speak of authoritarian control in our future; it's already here.....we're a fascist country.

How do I know?

First thing they do is to re-write the history books in their favor. We've seen that all over Dubya's first term, as it's discussed today & written about.
But you need look no further for proof than the gov. website from where this
articled was linked and read his bio.

People, Ron Paul was the Libertarian Candidate for the President of the US in 1988. Yet, no mention of such a significant accomplishment in a politician's biography!! I guess we can't have more than a two party divide? Or that the ruling party doesn't want to admit his "temporary insanity"!?!

Red AmeriKa Uber Alles!!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ron Paul should drop the GOP and join the Constitution Party IMO.

I like that guy. Too bad he's not in my state. I'd have no problem voting for Ron Paul for President.

new topics

top topics

join