It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite lower crime rates, support for gun rights increases

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I had something sarcastic to say to the anti-gun folks...

Saw it was covered by a many...

So instead I'll smile and have a .

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I could only imagine what a guy robbing a store at gun point would do if I pull a Highlander style sword on him from under my duster jacket....SWEEEEET!

Erh mah gerd, you so have to scream, 'There can only be onnnnneeeee!', while you take a slice at his neck.

Sweetness personified.

Oh, and wear a kilt.

Ha...funny....sort of reminds me of the laws about having to warn an intruder before shooting them....too bad the intruder doesn't have to warn you when they come in.....

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
Hmmm...maybe you guys need more babies and kids shot in the face by their brothers by mistake, or schoolkids mowed down by a crazy teenager. Maybe Sandy Hook v2, V3, V4...AD INFINITUM will sway everyone to arm themselves! Yeeeeeehawwwww partner! Afer all, you have a totally irrelevant in the 21st century law that says you guys can bear arms..no other argument needed right? Somebody wrote it down hundreds of years ago...no need to update anything in the year 2015.

Guns for everyone, baby..in fact babies should have them too!! Its the only way you will ALL be safe.

Perhaps you can tell me how passing a law against guns in the U.S. would make people safer?

Criminals, by definition, ignore the law. Law-abiding citizens, by definition, obey the law.

Accidental deaths, since you brought them up, in the United States:
-Firearms: ~600 annually. Around 60 of those are children under 14.
-Drowning: ~3,500 annually. 1 in 5 are children under 14 and the vast majority are in residential swimming pools.

6.5% of U.S. households have swimming pools. Over 20% of U.S. households have at least one firearm. There are 310,000,000 firearms privately owned so most of those households have more than 1 gun. There are 4,544,000 in-ground residential pools and 3,535,000 above-ground swimming pools in the U.S.

It is very hard to find REAL data because the anti-gun side pushes so much false and misleading data to muddy the issue. The only sources I trust are the non-biased data centers.

edit on 4/21/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Hmmm...maybe you guys need more babies and kids shot in the face by their brothers by mistake, or schoolkids mowed down by a crazy teenager. Maybe Sandy Hook v2, V3, V4...AD INFINITUM will sway everyone to arm themselves! Yeeeeeehawwwww partner! Afer all, you have a totally irrelevant in the 21st century law that says you guys can bear arms..no other argument needed right? Somebody wrote it down hundreds of years ago...no need to update anything in the year 2015.

Guns for everyone, baby..in fact babies should have them too!! Its the only way you will ALL be safe.

Perhaps you can tell me how passing a law against guns in the U.S. would make people safer?

Criminals, by definition, ignore the law. Law-abiding citizens, by definition, obey the law.

Accidental deaths, since you brought them up, in the United States:
-Firearms: ~600 annually. Around 60 of those are children under 14.
-Drowning: ~3,500 annually. 1 in 5 are children under 14 and the vast majority are in residential swimming pools.

6.5% of U.S. households have swimming pools. Over 20% of U.S. households have at least one firearm. There are 310,000,000 firearms privately owned so most of those households have more than. There are 4,544,000 in-ground residential pools and 3,535,000 above-ground swimming pools in the U.S.

It is very hard to find REAL data because the anti-gun side pushes so much false and misleading data to muddy the issue. The only sources I trust are the non-biased data centers.

Throw kiddie pools and bathtubs in the mix and there is no telling how much higher that goes.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

What happened in Norway happens many times a year, every year in the US...whats your point?

That's a total lie and you should retract it immediately.

It's one thing to embellish and post your opinion but when you post an outright lie, that is unacceptable.

Anders Breivik killed 77 people and injured 242. That is unprecedented and none of the U.S. mass shootings have been anywhere near those numbers.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

What happened in Norway happens many times a year, every year in the US...whats your point?

It's one thing to embellish and post your opinion but when you post an outright lie, that is unacceptable.

Anders Breivik killed 77 people and injured 242. That is unprecedented and none of the U.S. mass shootings have been anywhere near those numbers.

But aren't these lies typical of most anti arguments? Funny thing is that I see new laws being passed almost weekly now giving rights back to the people, yet the anti argument is always the same, and I don't see a rise in gun violence happening.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

But aren't these lies typical of most anti arguments? Funny thing is that I see new laws being passed almost weekly now giving rights back to the people, yet the anti argument is always the same, and I don't see a rise in gun violence happening.

Unfortunately, yes, but it makes them easier to pick apart in a debate.

The anti-gun groups have no solid foundation for an argument so they fabricate their own data and it's easily discredited.

Gun laws have been increasingly relaxed over the last decade or so and the crime rate continues to drop. The average American sees it and that is reflected in the numbers in the OP. There will always be a vocal minority pushing the anti-gun agenda but they're gradually running out of lies to support their claims.

Folks who are anti-gun should not engage in a debate. They should simply have their beliefs for their own personal reasons. Attempting to justify those beliefs with data never holds up under scrutiny.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienauthor
In Norway in 2011, where firearms are not allowed, a shooter killed 69 and injured 110. I am sure those people felt quite secure before someone decided a gun free zone was the safest place to go kill people. In the United States you will find that cities with the strongest gun laws have the highest murder rates. With the rise of terrorism, some countries may begin to think that our 2nd Amendment is a pretty good idea. a reply to: Vasa Croe

Wow...you can cite one fo the VERY few times this has happened outside of the US and South America...well done. That sure showed us Europeans!

Well the numbers from that one very rare event are very telling...I mean wow 179 people involved with one shooting. Just never heard numbers so high before cause here in the states one of those people was likely to be armed and stop the incident before it carried on to effect 179 people. You realize that one event was like the total of our last 5-10 school shootings.

People are the problem...they can be good or bad...the majority good but the bad ones well they do bad things. There isn't a law that's going to stop that its just human nature...some good some bad. Guns are no different than hammers. They are tools. Both can kill you if the person wielding them choose to...note the key word choose. How many of you wanna go fight another guy with a hammer...I sure don't.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Several countries have gun laws that are less-strict or on the same level as the U.S. and those countries also don't have as many shooting sprees. It's not about guns, it's mental health or something else... but not guns or access to guns.

Yes i agree there are several countries with less strict gun laws where the people living there are more civilized and therefore can be trusted with gun ownership. Its unfortunate that people in your country cant be trusted in the same way. All the more reason for tighter gun control. Thanks for point that out.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: intrptr

So does a car have enough force to kill by simply stepping on the gas.

Oh wait, people have to point the car and push the accelerator.

Guess we can't eliminate car crime, either.

Would be hard to do if you were so young your legs were not long enough to reach the pedals or didn't have access to key or didn't know how to operate a car or couldn't manage to drive it out the garage and far enough to get to anyone to kill. Yet children accidentally shoot people all the time. Smuggling a car into a theater and driving it around killing 12 and injuring another 58 would be slightly problematic also .etc, etc, etc.

it doesn't take a genius to work out that that's a seriously weak strawman argument lol.

And this would be due to irresponsibility on the parents behalf. Had nothing to do with the gun as that child could have managed to kill someone with a myriad of other common house hold items. What happens if you leave the cabinets under the sink accessible to children with all the cleaning supplies down there. What happens if the children decide to play potions and make a cocktail and drink it. Is that the fault of the parent and not the fault of said cleaning supplies. I mean really how much can a government take responsibility for the actions of all those who live under it. It is ultimately up to you how things go. It's your choices that effect everything not the fact that an inanimate object is present.
edit on 21-4-2015 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

But doesnt china have like 1 billion more people than the USA meaning the ration of people to stabbings are a lot lower? The attacks in china are isolated events just a couple of years when mass shootings in the USA happen on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

So are you saying guns should be locked away like dangerous cleaning supplies?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Answer

Several countries have gun laws that are less-strict or on the same level as the U.S. and those countries also don't have as many shooting sprees. It's not about guns, it's mental health or something else... but not guns or access to guns.

Yes i agree there are several countries with less strict gun laws where the people living there are more civilized and therefore can be trusted with gun ownership. Its unfortunate that people in your country cant be trusted in the same way. All the more reason for tighter gun control. Thanks for point that out.

Total nonsense.

There are 310,000,000 privately owned guns in the U.S. There are obviously millions upon millions of Americans that can be trusted with guns. Access to guns does not turn people into criminals. That's why your argument falls flat.

The U.S. has a problem with crime. Passing more laws certainly won't have an effect. Proper enforcement of existing laws and punishing violent criminals is the solution. Our justice system is broken.

There are people walking around that have multiple convictions for assault. Violent people are given a slap on the wrist and sent back out into society to continue their behavior. Violent people who do go to prison generally learn how to be better criminals. When they get out, even if they do try to "go straight," their job prospects are practically non-existent because nobody wants to hire felons. The individual turns back to what they know, crime, to support themselves.

You should stop trying to offer an opinion on a subject about which you are woefully ignorant.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

mass shootings in the USA happen on a daily basis.

Yet another lie. Please retract your statement.

If you want to have this debate, why can't you stick to facts like the rest of us instead of blatantly lying?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

The attacks in china are isolated events just a couple of years when mass shootings in the USA happen on a daily basis.

And what of human rights violations?

If my choices were repressive China or 'gun crazy' America it would not even be a remotely close contest.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: PhoenixOD

See, for the children.

OMG this is hilarious. I must go and share this like 10,000x now. I almost fell off the couch laughing...

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

mass shootings in the USA happen on a daily basis.

Yet another lie. Please retract your statement.

If you want to have this debate, why can't you stick to facts like the rest of us instead of blatantly lying?

Hmm if you want facts you could check the reddit page that catalogs just SOME of the mass shootings in the USA. Agreed there might be the odd day or two where no mass shootings happen but on other days there can be 3,4 or 5 which would easily make up enough for an average of one a day.

www.reddit.com...

Blatantly lying? No just stating the facts, but you can go stand in that Egyptian river (Denial) if you wish.

edit on 21-4-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Your link is bull as the FBI considers a mass shooting to be four or more people murdered. Several in that link were one person killed, which would constitute a shooting, not a mass shooting.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I'm saying they should be treated respectfully and no different than anything dangerous to children. Would you leave the keys in your car as well as your child unsupervised. I sure wouldn't. The problem has never been guns the problem is people are irresponsible and sometimes bad people. Laws won't fix this as much as you'd think. Plus here in the US we have so many laws even those who choose to study them their whole life don't know them all. So how can you say any of that is much help. Also as said before I bet we would see even less of these problems should what myriad of laws we do have be enforced or penalties stiffened. I have no issues with the misuse of anything being illegal if said misuse harms another person or their property in any way. However being here as a free man in a supposedly free country I do expect the freedom to do as I please as long as I don't violate those 2 conditions I just stated. Pre-crime does not a good society make….

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Your link is bull as the FBI considers a mass shooting to be four or more people murdered. Several in that link were one person killed, which would constitute a shooting, not a mass shooting.

No that would be a mass killing not a mass shooting. Come on try harder and pay attention lol

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join