It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is ATS so Right Wing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
What about this site attracts so many conservatives? I know there are many who seem to hate all political parties, but it seems that most of the hate is directed towards the Democrats. Just so my position is clear, I like and dislike aspects of both parties, but I'm more liberal than conservative.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the fact that most here are republicans, I'm just wondering why that might be. So, why are you all conservatives? And what brings mostly conservative people to this website?

+43 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: thesearchfortruth

Respectfully, I disagree. I think most folks on ATS see through the 2-party BS and have simply had a bloody gut-full of being continuously shafted by lying cheating thieving assholes currently in positions of power.

For every conservative (pick your label) on ATS there is a counterbalance liberal (pick your label)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I think the political slant tends to be right wing libertarian rather than right wing authoritarian of the mainstream republican party.
I guess because most people attracted to conspiracy theories also distrust government in pretty much any form.
To be fair I am looking at it from a left wing and non American view point so my opinion is going to be biased.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I, for one, am completely apolitical.
Both sides can go choke on a banana for all I care.
I see opinions here from both sides of the fence in what seems to be a fair balance.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
I think the political slant tends to be right wing libertarian rather than right wing authoritarian of the mainstream republican party.
I guess because most people attracted to conspiracy theories also distrust government in pretty much any form.

I think that is the reason... a lot of people around here are libertarians, but not necessarily right wing conservatives or republicans. It's pretty obvious that many people around here view organized religion as a total scam, and many people around here like to see advanced technological progression. Personally I would label myself as a libertarian, I hold liberty and personal freedom as my most important ideals, because I believe everything else we need comes from having personal freedom. I believe in small government with a balanced budget and a free market which uses sound money instead of fiat money.

I do not believe in those things because I am "conservative", I believe in those things because to me they are the most logical and most effective way to create a society with a high standard of living for everyone. I also believe that women have the right to choose abortion and that gay people have the right to marry. As a programmer I am obsessed with technology, especially artificial intelligence and other cutting edge stuff like that. I am also not adverse to socialized education and healthcare systems, I think they can work well if done properly.
edit on 21/4/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It's not right wing, it's distrust in government, because it has been proven time and time again that power corrupts.

If you can disagree with that please provide links.

Even democrats will agree with that, but still think the government should enact some more laws to fix it.

edit on 21-4-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

You are thinking far too logically.
Burn the witch!

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

It started after the Tea Party formed and if you watch videos about tea party coaching there supporters to effect online polls and book reviews it makes since. It isn't just ATS even CNN or MSNBC was bombarded with the same ideology after Obama was elected to the point most news websites don't even have comment sections anymore.

Most started in 2010 Its called Guerilla Internet Tactics, not ATS fault but a political movement.

Oh and you could also say ATS was a liberal bastion when GWB was in office, so it seems the opposite party become more vocal when the other side is in office.

edit on 21-4-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I think you don't know us well.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Scientific answer which you may or may not be willing to accept: When dealing with a fairly even mix of left, right, and center members such as ATS has, perception of site bias may be little more than a solid measuring stick of where you, yourself stand.

I accepted years ago that I am far enough to the 'Conservative Anarchist' side that most of ATS appears pretty damn liberal to me. I have no reason to believe that the reverse of that is true for those who are far to the left. By definition of "fringe" those who reside there are going to find a lot more points of disagreement with the majority than those who reside nearer to middle ground find.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I am of the understanding that most folks here are natural save for a few

NOTE TO MOD Can we get a poll Attached to this thread ?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This recent poll should give some indication as to where ATSers stand:

Results of the 2015 ATS Presidential Straw Poll

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gemwolf
This recent poll should give some indication as to where ATSers stand:

Results of the 2015 ATS Presidential Straw Poll

Well, This poll only shows who people would vote for . Its not accurate in the sens of "why is ATS so right winged "

I would vote for Rand Paul but I don't consider my self "right winged " at all , In fact I am more Independent and agree on views from both party's .

I think like me most people feel that Rand is an honest politician with the peoples interest at heart .

We should not use this as an indication that ATS is right winged.

Can we get a poll on political position ?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
There's quite a difference between trolls and the genuine ATS community's. As stated above, most "members" are well aware of the machinations of "political ideology".
edit on 21-4-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I see things a bit differently.

I just see some posters accusing those who disagree with them of being 'right wing', as though this were a terrible insult.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
well the media only ever reports from the left, so maybe because here its reported from both sides you only see the reporting from the right wing cause its something not seen in mainstream media.
SNIP a reply to: thesearchfortruth

edit on 11/27/2016 by Blaine91555 because: Snipped vulgar comment.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

It seems to shift and change, I know it has in the last few years at least once. We did go through a period on ATS where a large number were significantly homophobic and preaching some of the most vile stuff - I know, because I left the site back then, as did about five other posters I used to debate with.

Now we seem to have a more libertarian rather than Republican tone to a lot of the discussions here. There are still plenty of hypocrite "libertarians" in that camp though, people who claim to be all about individual freedoms and rights, while also wanting to inflict their religious beliefs onto others - which is obviously nothing like true libertarianism.

As others have said, I think a lot of people come here simply because they have such a deep distrust of government. You only need to look at some of the attitudes and threads about some of the most peculiar beliefs and paranoias to see that.

And yes, I do think there is more than just a slight whiff of self-radicalization in this too. You don't generally see too many liberals claiming the kinds of things many people here want to claim. You don't generally see them stocking up with ammo on their ranches, picking fights with local government or agencies, or preaching about the NWO. There does seem to be a considerable lean to the right in this regard.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

So right wing? Really?

Is it that time again???

Me thinks you need to take a closer look at the posts around here.

If it's not a fifty fifty split, it's darned close.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
ATS is a equal opportunity bunch in that we will hate left right and center when it comes to the rhetoric coming from politicians . I am not sure if there is a cynical party but if there is then they have my vote .

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I live in perhaps the most progressive country on Earth so I don't have to deal with a lot of bible-thumping Christians and selfish greedy conservatives. What I do have to deal with is brainwashed cultural Marxists, my issues with leftists stem mostly from their adoption of cultural Marxism/cultural relativism and their blatant oikophobia.

I'm very liberal in a lot of ways, I like having a safety net and I like protecting the environment but I also lean towards libertarianism though I can't say I've explored it thoroughly. If I want to do drugs or even drink gasoline I should be allowed to, if I want a gun, I should be allowed to have one, and if I want a nuclear warhead and I'm wealthy enough to buy one I think I should be allowed to.

But seriously though, I can see both the mainstream political left and the right imploding in the future. I don't know what will be happening with the left but Occupy Wall Street might be an indication though I doubt they'll get rid of their religious affiliation with cultural Marxism. On the right I can see Neo-reaction and similar movements gaining ground.

I also imagine conspiracy theories will become ever more mainstream.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join