It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escape From death Row.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I have watched the first part of a docu on discovery, over this amazing piece of organized escape from one of the most sophisticated anti breakout jails in the world,the Mecklenburg Correctional C. in Verginia U.S. So far it made the Alcatraz escape look pretty simple.With the survival of the escapies still not prooven sucessful,in my loly opinion there has to be another more complicated and elaborate escape.So far I've yet to see the whole story,and even though I could look up how it ended I shant do that and instead wait for the next episode.
I thought about making a thread showing some similar situations and other aspects of the whole issue.Almost 11months to the day this escape was being orcestrated...So here it goes.;

An average of one inmate a month is absconding from North Sea Camp Open Prison, in Lincolnshire.
The Home Office declined to reveal figures, but research by BBC Radio Lincolnshire showed at least 12 prisoners absconded in the last year. On May 31, 1984, six death-row inates took 13 prison personnel hostage, donned guard uniforms and, wielding a fake bomb, bluffed their way out of Mecklenburg Correctional Center in Boydton, Virginia. It was the only mass escape of death-row prisoners in U.S. history.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Escape from Mecklenburg;
Now, 17 years after the daring break, Court TV examines the planning, execution, nation-wide manhunt and final outcome in a spellbinding documentary. The show features first-person accounts from convicted murderer, Lem Tuggle, one of the escapees, and Dennis Stockton, an inmate who helped plan the break out. It also contains first-time interviews with several of the guards who were taken hostage, FBI officials who led the search, and citizens who encountered the killers while they were on the run. The escapees, all convicted murderers, were captured within three weeks and their sentences subsequently carried out.
www.courttv.com... death_row.html

A knife was the weapon used to kill a Houston man in 1983. Now the killer, who was to be executed for the crime, is instead about to walk out of prison. On death row in Huntsville, Texas, you're not supposed to get out alive. But Calvin Burdine is planning on doing just that. He's been on death row since 1984, when he was convicted of murder, a crime he denies committing. But last September, a judge ruled that Burdine had not been adequately represented and must be re-tried or released within 120 days.
"It's the greatest day of my life, because I'm going to get to hug my Momma," said Burdine.
The last time he got that close to his mother was in August of 1987, that's when he was given his last meal, said goodbye to his mother, only to have his stay of execution granted one hour before he was to be put to death.
www.cbsnews.com...

DEATH ROW INMATE'S ESCAPE PLAN DISCOVERED.State Corrections Department officials say they foiled a planned escape by death row inmate Joseph P. Payne Sr. Authorities said Monday that ``a couple of small pieces of hacksaw'' blade and a piece of Plexiglas fashioned into a handle were found in Payne's cell on death row at the Mecklenburg Correctional Center.
``There was never any danger to the public. He had not gotten free from his cell, and even if he had he would still have been in the compound,'' said Jim Jones, a Corrections Department spokesman. Payne was sentenced to death for setting an inmate ablaze in retaliation for the victim's disclosure of an earlier escape attempt.
scholar.lib.vt.edu... 0531.htm

Early in the fiscal yearadditional visitation limits were imposed on death row inmates. Limited-contact visits for death row inmates were stopped, and now visitors and condemned inmates communicate by telephone through glass panels. In addition, 115 prisoners were moved from
ASPC-Florence, Cell Block 6 to SMU II, which is the most secure prison in the system and a super-maximum unit that is virtually escape-proof.

At SMU II, inmates are kept in single-occupancy cells for 23 or 24 hours a day and are allowed out of their cells only for showers and exercise for one hour, three times a week. SMU II houses
inmates who are dangerous, assaultive or management problems. During the move to SMU II, all condemned inmates' personal property containing metal was removed, and other allowable property that could be used to jeopardize safety and security was limited.

Two incidents were instrumental in these decisions. First, an escape plot by a death row inmate uncovered contraband items that likely were brought in during visitation. Second, there was an attempted escape, in which an inmate's wife attempted to help him escape by shooting at officers. In the escape attempt, the inmate and his wife were killed, but no staff or other inmates were hurt. This was the final determining factor for this relocation.

www.adc.state.az.us...

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Killers scam supporters from death rowStardust Johnson cringed when she saw a photograph of her husband's killer on the Internet, pleading for female pen pals to end his death row boredom. "I looked at the site and felt outrage and pain," said Johnson, whose husband Roy Johnson, a University of Arizona music professor, was abducted, robbed and beaten to death after he attended a concert in Tucson in February 1995. Beau Greene was convicted of the murder and sentenced to death. "I felt double the grief because it just picked me up and put me back to the intensity of what he had done, that he should be alive, advertising on the Internet while my husband is dead."
www.prodeathpenalty.com...

"Until this happened, I really believed in the criminal justice system." "Has an innocent man ever been executed? Probably. The judicial system is designed to promote fairness, but anyone who expects perfection is asking for an impossibility. Any revamping might make the system better, but because human nature is involved, it won't make it perfect...By far the question people ask me most is how I feel about the death penalty. I can only tell you this: Apparently, our society believes that some people need to be removed permanently and completely. As the warden, and a servant of the taxpayer, I tried to do the best job that I could. As a human being, I see it as a sad affair. But it is as a Christian that I struggle most. . . . I have watched men being put to death for hideous crimes and wondered at that moment if we were doing the right thing."
66.102.9.104... ch?q=cache:yqPdxUi1UG8J:www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/newvoices.pdf+mistakenly+put+to+death+row&hl=en

Now that Suge Knight is a free man will he be able to recapture his former glory?
On August 6, 2001, Deathrow founder and CEO Marion "Suge" Knight left an Oregon jail and boarded an LA-bound plane. With his five-year prison sentence behind him, he finally arrived at the place he had been dreaming of returning to - Deathrow. A billboard above the offices greeted him with the words "Welcome home Suge." It would seem that Suge Knight is once and for all a free man. Or is he?
With his new label imprint Tha Row, he states that Death Row is "the past," little more than a catalog to be mined. With the flight of many top names from his Death Row label, most notably Snoop Dogg, many now wonder about the business viability of a Suge-run label.
rap.about.com...

I guess that's enough to get the whole picture and maybe get a single reply as to why and what other alternatives there could be enforced instead of the 'Eye For an Eye' response from the 'Moral'side of society...

join