It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does "believing" change anything?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I was thinking about my beleif in aliens and came to a conclusion. Nothing about my life has changed, other than what I think I know. My lifestyle, my habits, my likes and dislikes, my relationships, my religious beliefs...NOTHING. I didn't always beleive. I have seen enough evidence to come to this belief, but that is about it. You'd think that coming to a conclusion, like the idea that aliens exist would profoundly affect your life, but in reality, it hasn't. At the most, I see myself as "knowing" something that no one else I have a relationship "knows".

I just wanted to see if anyone else, who has come to beleif in the alien phenomenon, has altered their life due to this mindset change. Has is ruined relationships with friends and family? Has it affected your job? Has it changed your religious beleifs?...etc...

[edit on 21-12-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Nope, But Believing does change alot of things. I can tell you from experience to go believe that your stomach doesn't hurt and it will not hurt. Beliveing stuff is 95% of what we are made up of.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Very true. But, beleiving that aliens exists does not bring about full disclosure any faster. That would truly alter the lives of everyone in many. many ways. But simply beleiving, has not. I can't "will" them into revealing themselves to the public just by believing in them. I can't believe hard enough to make the gov't reveal what they already know. In the end, I am just left with the knowledge of their existence and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
mpeake.
You have made a profound statment by your question... I have not had time to consider differently in order to gett he Job done. For the life I have choosen. My beliefs , there are no differencies, I look to the heavens and know that I have seen more that would convice allot of people, that we are not alone in this vast universe. When it becomes obvious to us all, there will be the question, how could I not see this? Look up would be my first answer.. Good thought Mpeake, thnaks for asking!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
By believing, i think we're more inclined to remain open to search for truth as opposed to not believing and just ignoring the whole thing as if it's just a big joke.

As for me personally, i've always believed there has to be other intelligent life in the universe. So i cant say whether or not my life "changed" in any way once i started believing since i never didnt believe. I do deal with ridicule when i talk about this subject to certain people from time to time though, i suppose i wouldnt have to deal with that if i didnt believe. And i seem to often have strange dreams about greys and UFO's, but that's probably due to all the reading i do on the subject.

[edit on 21/12/04 by Meteor_of_War]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I would surgest you become a skeptic for a day and seee what happens

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What do you mean by "believe?"

In my mind to "believe," is to accept a story, usual vocal. Other points in a story are photographs, movies, video tape and other recordings. Almost everything is beliefs, even what we consider science, since its historical paradigms depend upon frameworks and consent to those frameworks. Only mathematics and what we are counting is the most solid proof, something that does not require belief, as facts.

Much of our reality is consensual since we may discover it is far larger than what our folkways, our culture continues within blinders. Our culture in short is a safety mechanism, consenting to a more narrow vision to avoid what is really an overwhelming existence.

So when you say you "believe," in UFOs, space aliens, and so forth, usually you rely upon more than someone telling you a tall tale. What transcends that is actually being some 60 feet or so from a fantastic machine, one that you have never before become informed. That is my experience, so I do not have to rely upon others, I do not have to "believe," because I am a witness. Whether you believe me is another story, but it is such as anything else.

We have "faith based," court cases that execute people, and if your criteria is that way of thought, then your threshold is far less than the demanding "extraordinary proof," that a Carl Sagan wants. Exactly when will you finally pull the switch on the debunkers? Do you have to go onboard, see one on the White House lawn? Even the latter could be taken as a hoax, and people at this point would have ample reasons for skepticism upon our now amply debased conventional channels.

For me, I do not need to believe, I already know "these things are really real." I am comfortable with myself, and most people I have told have already stated that yes we too know these things are real. Who you will not find agreement are paid government perps and shills, usually people with a low IQ or with a self imposed cultural illiteracy, who enforce their limited reality on others.

[edit on 21-12-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean??? I started out as a HUGE skeptic. I came here, saw the evidence, did some "soul searching", and came to the conclusion that the evidence that I have come across changed my belief from I don't believe to I do believe. That's about it. Nothing else about myself has changed. So, I'm not sure if you are saying that being a believer is hard when you have to deal with skeptics, because that just doesn't bother me. I used to be one, so I know where they are coming from.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

What do you mean by "believe?"

That's a great question, and I apoligize for using the word "believe" so loosely. I don't mean to use it in a religious sense, or a mythical sense. More of a scientiic sense. I use it because it works better than saying I "KNOW" that aliens exists. I can say that I think that i know, or that the evidence has convinced me thus far...but saying beleive is just a shorter version of all that. But, the only thing I know, is that no one "knows" anything.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Holy sh1t good post SkipShipman.

You seem very at peace with your feelings on the subject, i wish i could say the same for myself...i wish i could say that "I KNOW" they're real. Maybe if i as well witnessed a UFO in the first person i'd feel the same. But until that day, if it ever comes, i'll have to settle for "i believe".

[edit on 21/12/04 by Meteor_of_War]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I cant say that it has, Ive never been ridiculed for believing in the existence of aliens, this is in part because everyone I know on a talking basis believes in aliens.
Also I recently read the results of a nation wide poll and asked
"Would the existence of aliens effect you negatively?" 88% said no.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I need a lot more evidence to really and truly "believe" in the existance of alien beings (even though I've seen what looks like countless UFO's in the sky on numerous occasions). Yes, I am scared as hell of them (if they do in fact exist), but I think the fact that I don't believe either way if they're real or not is what drives my fear of them. Fear of the unknown, as they say.

[edit on 22/12/04 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well, personally, I think it makes no difference at all. Like all things in life, until your belief is not actualized and experienced, it will make little difference. If you want to do that, someone has to act, either the government or the disclosure project.

However, as soon as it is disclosed, how will your life change? Really it is nothing more than another tid-bit of knowledge.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

I just wanted to see if anyone else, who has come to beleif in the alien phenomenon, has altered their life due to this mindset change. Has is ruined relationships with friends and family? Has it affected your job? Has it changed your religious beleifs?...etc...
[edit on 21-12-2004 by mpeake]

Frankly, it's a process! IMHO it goes in stages, from believing one thing to understanding another. And yes, some things are more difficult to believe in then others, however after you get over them, you soon realize how insignificent they actually are. As for the relationships and friends. With more understanding of yourself and others, you get a new insight and therefore you understand people better then before. That's why relationships are going better in my case. My religious beliefs have changed over the years, though that may and may not have anything to do with the topic.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Well, personally, I think it makes no difference at all. Like all things in life, until your belief is not actualized and experienced, it will make little difference. If you want to do that, someone has to act, either the government or the disclosure project.

However, as soon as it is disclosed, how will your life change? Really it is nothing more than another tid-bit of knowledge.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. I accept the existence of aliens (on certain levels), but other than that there is nothing about that acceptance that has altered my view on life or the way I live my life. Now, if and when I am around for full disclosure, and all that I have come to accept is all in my face, then yes, I am sure alot of my lifestyle will change. But that will be true for everyone on the planet.

top topics

join