It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hip hop culture, Thug mentality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: Prisoner60863
What you are also witnessing, is quite simply, the rise of crime in NYC.

The Deblasio days sure have been entertaining.

Keep up the good work, Bill.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: myartisstrong
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I don't think it's Satan but I definitely believe it's the Private Prison Industry.

I think it's greed in general. From all sides. Ethics be damned as long as I get mine.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The fatal flaw of Capitalism.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Most of HH comes from an angry place. That speaks to angry kids. And kids are angry. Goes with growing up. I'd be pissed too seeing what we've left for the kids. Being an ex-angry person I see it.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Most of HH comes from an angry place. That speaks to angry kids. And kids are angry. Goes with growing up. I'd be pissed too seeing what we've left for the kids. Being an ex-angry person I see it.

I am still trying to be an ex-angry person but society always puts blocks on my progress. I am less angry than when I was in the service. One day I'll be at peace within my own mind. Until then I'll use this emotion to turn things around. I'll bend it to my will. The kids will work things out and have their own bigger problems to face. Life is a struggle and no one promised us fair. You play the cards you were dealt with.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What I find disgusting about the hip hop culture is that you can have, for instance, Nicki Minaj (sp?) in an interview saying how she wants to be a positive role models for young girls, then records a song called Truffle Butter. Nobody bats an eyelash.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hip Hop offers more food for thought than any genre in existence, and I say that as a complete music nerd with diverse taste. Many other genre's are better with emotions and feelings, but hip hop is thinking music. The wordy nature of hip hop leaves more to work with.

Unfortunately the same part of the media that turned educational TV networks into the redneck celebrations, turned hip hop on the radio into thug music.

The origins of hip hop were very political, and like any other political movement, it received a political reaction. I tell people all the time, socially conscious rappers out number the mindless idiots, but the radio gives the same 10-15 artists the majority of their rotation. It just so happens the most ignorant get those spots. Unfortunately the people who don't listen to hip hop, only get that to judge it from, and it builds to their racist/classist stereotypes.

Don't blame hip hop though, blame American politics. Some one else is deciding the radio playlists, it's not the hip hop culture choosing.
edit on 04pm02pm302015-04-25T14:58:51-05:0002America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I live in the suburbs of Colorado, even the rich white kids have picked up the style/mentality of the thug. There is no doubt that music & pop culture, sets the stage for the younger generation. In my 46 Years I have never seen it so problematic.....and I was a punk rocker in the 80's we were pegged the hoodlums, little did people know, many of us had pretty decent morales. I'm not seeing that much anymore. It's all about imitating the young money, did my time in the big house and even section of land is indecent, therefore enemy of every other.
I know they say you become your parents and grow out of these things...but yeah, I feel like doing all you can to come off as a hood rat is where it's at, and it doesn't even matter your color or economic standing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join