It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Policeman Praised For Not Killing Murder Suspect Yelling ‘Shoot Me!’ (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I don’t want to shoot you,” a police officer from Ohio and former US Marine said repeatedly, as he backed away from a double murder suspect, who yelled “shoot me” several times during their encounter. The officer is being lauded for showing restraint.

Suspect Michael Wilcox, 27, had allegedly shot his girlfriend and a friend before leading police on a three-county chase in the Cincinnati area.

With his handgun raised and poised to fire, Kidder can be seen backing away from Wilcox, who ignored Kidder’s demands for him to put his hands up. The suspect moved directly at the law enforcement officer, attempting to bait a lethal reaction.

"He jumped out and he sprinted towards me. I had my firearm already drawn on me, and I told him to put his

Ohio Policeman Praised For Not Killing Murder Suspect Yelling ‘Shoot Me!’ (VIDEO)

In light of all these recent law enforcement shootings this was a Top Story over at RT , I commend the Officer in this video for not using deadly force . It's Obvious the suspect was looking for "suicide by cop " .

What do you think ATS was the officer right or wrong in this situation ?

kap.

NOTE : I would like to have posted this in posse comitatus ,however I don't have access to post their just yet .

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
sad that 'cop doesn't kill someone' is news.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Sad , But true .

kind of makes you wonder where things are headed with the news and these killings. After All it is RT ......
edit on 20-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

This.

That was my first thought. It's wonderful that the cop was able to handle the situation without deadly force, and with a suspect that was actually TRYING to get killed.

But the fact that it's news in today's world makes me raise my eyebrows.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

This is heroism. Altruistic and at personal risk.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

It's not heroism. Shooting him would be illegal because the cop would prevent the suspect from facing Justice/the law.

So the cop was doing what he's meant to do: "Enforce The Law".

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If the guy wanted suicide by cop, he should have known it takes more than harsh words. He didn't have a blunt or pointy object handy with which to attack the cop?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I see a lot of veteran cops shaking their head at this one. The rookie cop could have gotten himself killed. The cop was lucky he called the suspect's bluff correctly. Next time he may not be so lucky.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
If the guy wanted suicide by cop, he should have known it takes more than harsh words. He didn't have a blunt or pointy object handy with which to attack the cop?

I would have ran at him and try to take his gun. Then shoot myself if successful(of course if I was the guy. I would never want to take my own life). Till the, keep up the acts of aggression until you get shot and killed by a cop. In prison there are multiple ways of quick suicide as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
I see a lot of veteran cops shaking their head at this one. The rookie cop could have gotten himself killed. The cop was lucky he called the suspect's bluff correctly. Next time he may not be so lucky.

Especially when the cop fell. He did what was right , but he handled it poorly. I would have tasered the man, or shot him in the leg to control the situation. Once he's down, I'd detain him.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

No it would not be illegal. Cops have the right to use lethal force when they feel physically endangered. A guy charging at you with a hand in his pocket whom may have a gun... is legal grounds for getting shot and killed.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

This.

That was my first thought. It's wonderful that the cop was able to handle the situation without deadly force, and with a suspect that was actually TRYING to get killed.

But the fact that it's news in today's world makes me raise my eyebrows.

Yes It's News he should have shot him. The suspect # and killed two people. Than actually charged the police officer to the point he fell down in front of him.This could have easily been a police funeral. Luckily this roolie gets to live another day and hopefully learned something.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

really good job and amazing restraint on the cop. Especially considering how stressful a situation like that must be. Like a lot of others though, I find it sad that this good cop is news.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MythMaster

yeah ,maybe it needs to be on the news so other cops can learn from it ....

just saying

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This happened several days ago and is just now hitting the national news circuits...Kudos to the ROOKIE officer who has only been on the force for one year!

I thought about posting it when it happened, but didn't because there wasn't much news out there about the LEO from the tiny river town of New Richmond, Ohio. What a difference a few days makes and I am glad this story went viral.

The cop would have been totally justified if he had shot the suspect, but he practiced restraint and was very brave. The guy was wanted for two homicides. One homicide, of his girlfriend, in Felicity/Brown County, Ohio. The suspect was actually arrested off of route 52 in Hamilton County, Ohio; two counties away from where the crime originated. Some reports have Wilcox arrested in Kentucky, but he actually killed a friend of his in Northern Kentucky (the second homicide).

His family purchased the body cam for him, btw.

Here's a link to the local news showing the entire arrest on video: Local News Video of Arrest

edit on 20-4-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Watch the video. The suspect was putting his hands in his pockets, acting like he had a gun. So it wasn't just "harsh words" in this situation.

Video

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

This is the ugly flip side to the over-sensationalizing and media-hyping of all the recent shootings.

Now, cops who are scared they'll end up on the news and crucified by the public will fail to pull the trigger when they should have.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Links? Where do you "see a lot of veteran cops..."? I've seen nothing but praise for the rookie officer. Locally, anyway.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
a reply to: MythMaster

yeah ,maybe it needs to be on the news so other cops can learn from it ....

just saying

I agree completely. If we can spend some time rewarding good behavior instead of always focusing on the negative it could have a positive effect.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The officer showed that he was both brave and had complete control of the situation. If he did indeed feel threatened I'm sure he would have reacted accordingly.

Why give the criminal what he wants? He wanted to die instead of go to prison? Now he will actually be punished instead of having his wish granted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join