It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MQ-4 AESA radar tests begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The MQ-4C Triton has begun testing of the Northrop Grumman multifunction active sensor (MFAS). It's the first AESA with 360 degree capability.

This is the first flight on the Triton, but 42 risk reduction flights were performed on a Gulfstream II. The radar performed well in all modes during the GII testing.

The radar tests on the Triton are critical for the Navy deciding on whether to enter LRIP. Yay decision will be made early in 2016, with IOC expected in 2018.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I really like the concept a BAMS, think that it would suit UK (if they bought into Poseidon too). Australia also has a massive coastline.

Do the US export that type of technology?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Yes. It's been looked into by both countries, but I think they want to ensure it works first. They've already run into problems with the traffic avoidance system. It was removed from the aircraft until it can be perfected somewhat.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Australia also has a massive coastline.

Yes with our Orions on the way out we need something to do the long surveillance over the Indian and Pacific oceans..Wonder if they could package them into the Global Hawks ?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

The MQ-4C is a Global Hawk. It has naval sensors mounted instead of the usual ISR sensors.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

360? i wonder how far up they can see into the sky? is there a upper limit to RADAR i would assume if you could illuminate whatever with a beam then you could see it

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Radar looking out has to deal with power laws. The father you try to look, the more power you have to send out to get a return. Otherwise there isn't enough power to hit a target and return.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

inverse square law and all that.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Is this radar solely for surveillance? Obviously the 360* view is extremely beneficial in that regard, but can it emit as well as receive in that sphere? I'd assume so being an AESA, and that'd make for a pretty potent offensive/defensive tool.

I have the absolute bare minimum of knowledge about EW, though find it fascinating, so please forgive me if this is obviously and blatantly ignorant.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Ferros

All radar emits on some frequency. The big advantage to AESA is that it's electronically steered, not mechanically like older radars. That allows for a better picture without having to move the antenna around. You can then steer the beam and focus it at a specific area.

top topics

join