It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Police Seize 11 Y/O Boy After School Presentation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
...And now for some 4/20 news!

I saw Whoopi Goldberg just about burst a vein over this issue on The View this morning! It seems that the 11 year old son of a Medical Marajuana activist wanted to exercise his free speech and defend the use of cannabis for medical use, at school. So, he was allowed to and made a very lucid and convincing presentation to his class in rebuttal of a drug education class at school that was just conducted by the school counselors. His mother, Shona Banda, has Crone's Disease and claims that cannabis oil relieves her symptoms.

As a result of the boy's presentation, police pulled him from class and interrogated him for hours and then raided their home, where police found 2oz of cannabis oil.

“Well, they had that drug education class at school that was just conducted by the counselors… They pulled my son out of school at about 1:40 in the afternoon and interrogated him. Police showed up at my house at 3… I let them know that they weren’t allowed in my home without a warrant… I didn’t believe you could get a warrant off of something a child says in school.” Banda continued, “We waited from 3 o’clock until 6 o’clock. They got a warrant at 6 o’clock at night and executed a warrant into my home. My husband and I are separated, and neither parent was contacted by authorities before [our son] was taken and questioned.”

“They subsequently conducted a raid and then called me when the raid was over letting me know that there was a list of items they took on my kitchen table, I was allowed to go home, and [an officer] gave me his word I would not be arrested in person or at work and that charges would be given to me in a postcard in the mail. I have not been charged with anything at this point, but I have a hard time believing that it’s OK for them to interrogate my child without parental consent for hours,” said Banda. A report by The Human Solution International notes that officers found 2 ounces of cannabis and an ounce of cannabis oil during the raid.
uproxx.com...

As of now, there are no charges and it would seem that the evidence found in the house indicates personal use. Her son is still removed from her custody, with her next hearing scheduled for April 20th.

EXCLUSIVE: Cops Raid Cannabis Oil Activist Because Her Son Discussed Medical Pot Facts at School

If there was ever was any question that schools administrators want children to rat on their drug using parents, there isn't anymore! And, until the federal government stops lying about cannabis having absolutely no redeeming value, children will continue to be the causalities in the War on Drugs.

edit on 20-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

America is such a strange country. On one hand you guys are at the forefront of legalisation, but on the other you have stuff like this happening.

Did any good come from this? Doubtful. The kid's probably scarred for life and his parents are in deep s**t for hurting exactly nobody.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Kansas failed it's medical marijuana legislation.

There will be no medical mj in that state for a while,
and because of that fact, this is what happened. The boy should of not of been encouraged to do a presentation as it is an illegal substance in Kansas, and as such, he openly admitted that it was being used illegally by his mother.

That gives the police the right to move in regardless of what anyone thinks for or against medical mj.

Do I think it is right? No, but it is something they should of seen coming,
it is just common sense.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Gotta agree with this.

This was not a wise thing to do or let your kid do.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Well, it's just a matter of time, in my opinion. As for the boy, I'll bet we have someone special in the making. Maybe a lawyer, a legislator or a doctor? Who knows....

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Let me guess... Republican governor?

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Whelp, Kansas just earned one more person who won't trust authority for the rest of their life. Good job Kansas, leading the way in thug like behavior over a plant.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless

America is such a strange country. On one hand you guys are at the forefront of legalisation, but on the other you have stuff like this happening.

Did any good come from this? Doubtful. The kid's probably scarred for life and his parents are in deep s**t for hurting exactly nobody.

Unfortunately he may be angry for life also and have a deep hate of police and maybe even authority of all kinds thanks to this stupid action by whoever called them in the first place!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I will say that it probably wasn't smart of the kid to use the mom as a direct example in said presentation.

Teachers are mandatory reporters, and while I wholeheartedly agree that the child wasn't in any danger, the teacher's hands may have had his/her hands tied.

Their laws are not to bad, seems she is looking at a misdo and 2500$ in fines.
norml.org...

Seems they classify concentrates as the same as the flower which IMO is a bail out for her.

All that being said, she doesn't deserve any of this.
edit on thMon, 20 Apr 2015 13:54:36 -0500America/Chicago420153680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thMon, 20 Apr 2015 13:56:05 -0500America/Chicago420150580 by Sremmos80 because: Reasons to proof read for 100 Alex

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, im feeling like you two.

Not a very bright thing to do. You would think they would be wanting as little attention as possible.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

This is one of the main reasons police aren't liked or trusted.

Just think, while they were mentally scarring that poor kid and then raiding his mother for a bit of weed, people were probably getting raped, murdered, robbed, ect. But they have to put all that effort into busting a mother for a small amount of weed instead. Crazy!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
OK, look at it this way: If the kid had given a presentation on S&M to his class, and the police had come and questioned him because his teacher reported it, what then?

What if they had and it was discovered that mom had been into 50 Shades? What if they hadn't and it was later discovered that this kid was part of an suburban sex trafficking ring?

This is why the teachers are now under legal obligation to report anything like this they deem chancy because what if the teacher passed this off as what it was ... later on that kid's home exploded because on top of the pot his parents were smoking, they were also cooking meth in the garage?

I think society is getting way too nosy, but the reason things like this happen us because there was that instance when no one said anything. We lived in those days not too long ago in the '80s. There is a book circulating through B&N now about a girl who grew up through those times with a mother who abused the heck out of her. Everyone knew and no one said anything, including teachers. She survived, but there are those who don't. And it's because of the ones who didn't that people started yelling, "There oughta be a law!" And now there is one.

So decide. Is the law worth it or not? It leads to stuff like this.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
OK, look at it this way: If the kid had given a presentation on S&M to his class, and the police had come and questioned him because his teacher reported it, what then?

Then, so what? S&M isn't illegal.

What if they had and it was discovered that mom had been into 50 Shades? What if they hadn't and it was later discovered that this kid was part of an suburban sex trafficking ring?

Arresting people on "what-ifs"... I thought you were against the nanny state?

This is why the teachers are now under legal obligation to report anything like this they deem chancy because what if the teacher passed this off as what it was ... later on that kid's home exploded because on top of the pot his parents were smoking, they were also cooking meth in the garage?

That is a rather LARGE what-if. The proportion of marijuana users who are also meth heads is NOT that large and the proportion of meth heads that aren't marijuana users is rather large. What you just did there was a stoner stereotype using the gateway fallacy. How about using clues to meth use to detect meth transgressions instead of marijuana? Marijuana doesn't equal meth and it is insulting to make that connection.

I think society is getting way too nosy, but the reason things like this happen us because there was that instance when no one said anything. We lived in those days not too long ago in the '80s. There is a book circulating through B&N now about a girl who grew up through those times with a mother who abused the heck out of her. Everyone knew and no one said anything, including teachers. She survived, but there are those who don't. And it's because of the ones who didn't that people started yelling, "There oughta be a law!" And now there is one.

So decide. Is the law worth it or not? It leads to stuff like this.

I think this action is just as reprehensible as the kid who got locked up for a Pop-Tart gun. There are things you report for safety reasons, this isn't one of those things. ESPECIALLY since the kid was given permission to make the damn presentation in the first place.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm telling you that the teacher likely made the report to the police on the chance that there was something going on. He or she is bound by law to do so. I also explained why that is.

If I teacher hears a speech on legal pot and reports based on that, then the same teacher could hear a report on S&M and report based on that. It's not about what is or is not legal, but on possible harm that could be happening in the home to the student. If the teacher knows or suspects and it is later found that he or she did not report, then he or she could be held liable. That is the law.

So ... yeah, what else was the teacher supposed to do? It's potentially his or her own legal future at stake.

I am not making a comment on the law one way or the other, only telling you how it is and why which is what the first post covers.

This was an extraordinarily DUMB way for the kid to make his report.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Is a presentation / debate probable cause for a warrant to search a house? Doubt the police care about the law but maybe there is no case that will hold up for court.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'm telling you that the teacher likely made the report to the police on the chance that there was something going on. He or she is bound by law to do so. I also explained why that is.

I'm telling you that the teacher gave permission to do the report in the first place. To me, that is entrapment.

If I teacher hears a speech on legal pot and reports based on that, then the same teacher could hear a report on S&M and report based on that. It's not about what is or is not legal, but on possible harm that could be happening in the home to the student. If the teacher knows or suspects and it is later found that he or she did not report, then he or she could be held liable. That is the law.

Possible harm? What possible harm comes from marijuana use? The study that long term use may negatively effect your intelligence (that is now being questioned by other scientific outlets)?

Also reporting to the police because you think a child's parents do kinky stuff in the bedroom is BEYOND nosy and flat out wrong. If you associate S&M with child abuse, then you don't know what S&M is.

So ... yeah, what else was the teacher supposed to do? It's potentially his or her own legal future at stake.

Not report. I wouldn't have. If the teacher hadn't reported, it wouldn't have come back on him regardless of the perceived danger. Pot isn't dangerous.

I am not making a comment on the law one way or the other, only telling you how it is and why which is what the first post covers.

I'm putting the dumbness on the side of the teacher. The teacher shouldn't have reported a non-issue to the police.
edit on 20-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But the teacher knew the subject content that the boy proposed to present and okayed it ahead of time. At the very least I think that "Entrapment" could be argued here.

Like minds!

edit on 20-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

There is no such thing as entrapment anymore.

They can set you up, get you to do something illegal, and then bust you for it.

You can thank the war on terrorism for that one.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Is that true, legally, or is this you being cynical?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What dumbass parent sends their kid to school to give a presentation on marijuana?

Sometimes you reap what you sow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join