It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I watched another oldie but goody last night. This one is called Duel.
Made in 1971, this movie is about a businessman (played by Dennis Weaver) who repeatedly passes a truck driver (played by Cary Loftin). This enrages the psychotic truck driver, who goes on a fit of road rage by repeatedly ramming into the businessman's car and chasing him through the desert.
I found the acting in this movie to be passable, even good, and the camera work is excellent at building tension.

More about the movie: Duel

Here's the video so you can enjoy it, too. Sorry in advance for the sub titles. It's the only video I could find that was in English and had good video quality. Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

You forgot it was Steven Spielbergs' first and frankly one of, if not the best movie he ever made!

Saw it as a kid, really gave me chills, and I keep a safe distance from truckies even to this day.

(Because of the smell, not this movie)

edit on 20-4-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here's a couple other movies you might be interested in.

The Car (1977)

Christine (1983)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I remember watching this when it came out, I was like 8. Never liked the Peterbilt 281 ever since, lol

I showed it to my kids about 15 years ago and they ripped on it through the whole movie. They thought the acting and story line where 'cheesy'.
I still like it but I can see their point. Spielbergs 2nd film.

Thanks for the flashback

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I didn't know it was a Steven Spielberg movie. Well, then, if that was his first no wonder his others are so good.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Two of my all time favorites. I loved The Car. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. I actually had it but loaned it to someone and never got it back. Christine just blew me away. It differs from the book a bit. If they'd had her victims riding in her like in the book it would have been great.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

You're welcome. I didn't think it was very cheesy but then I'm from an older generation, like you. Not calling you old but you know what I mean. I had a friend point out to me that the movie Joy Ride is more or less exactly like Duel as far as plot goes. If your kids like Joy Ride, you might point that out to them.
edit on 20-4-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2015 by Skid Mark because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I saw it when I was 13, scared the crap out of me (and Christine above). Who cares about the bad acting (pffft kids these days!) movies had story lines back then! They were not afraid to build tension the whole way though, this movie is a prime example. Can you imagine if a certain Mr Explodey Bay did this movie? It would be ruined in the first 30 seconds. But I was always under the impression it was Speilbergs first proper movie?
edit on 20-4-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
S&F..Yeah I've watched it a couple of times.The rattlesnake scene is kinda spooky..

edit on 20-4-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

I thought it was funny how the old woman was more concerned about her cages and snakes than the truck driving around and smashing things. That actually made me laugh a little. Here's this semi driving around her and almost hitting her and she keeps saying, "My snakes!"

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Starred..LoL,I know Man..
edit on 20-4-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

I saw it when I was 13, scared the crap out of me (and Christine above). Who cares about the bad acting (pffft kids these days!) movies had story lines back then! They were not afraid to build tension the whole way though, this movie is a prime example. Can you imagine if a certain Mr Explodey Bay did this movie? It would be ruined in the first 30 seconds. But I was always under the impression it was Speilbergs first proper movie?

I was just going by wiki so it could be wrong about Spielberg, I am NOT a movie buff.

Duel was Spielberg's second feature-length directing effort,

wiki
I always loved the movie, still do. But it was tough to sit through with teenagers accustomed to modern movies.

Ill pass on Mr. explodey, you made me LoL on that, so true!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Well I see you are right! Although that first movie (never heard of it) was a TV movie, so that kind of doesn't count... Mind you Duel was also originally a tv movie as well... Hmmm so it appears I have poopies on my face.
I also am not a movie buff, but I know not enough people have seen Duel that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well I found and dowloaded a good print of this in 1080 widescreen. Been a long time since i watched this movie. Thanks for the memories of a very good movie.

Anyhow, i also DL'd Beyond the reach, which is kinda simular to duel and might spark your interest also.

Beyond the reach (IMDB)

A high-rolling corporate shark (Michael Douglas) and his impoverished young guide (Jeremy Irvine, War Horse) play the most dangerous game during a hunting trip in the Mojave desert, in this lean, mean cat-and-mouse thriller.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

I'll look it up. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join