It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing my Religion

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

Even if Ancient Aliens Debunked was wrong in a few "key" places. It doesn't change the fact that the ancient aliens hypothesis is flawed almost entirely.

edit on 4-28-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

Even if Ancient Aliens Debunked was wrong in a few "key" places. It doesn't change the fact that the ancient aliens hypothesis is flawed almost entirely.

i don't know about that. care to start a thread on that topic?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I don't know about that. Where would I even begin? Proponents of the ancient aliens hypothesis latch onto so many things as evidence. And often they don't even care when flaws in their logic are pointed out, or something is shown to be wrong entirely. I find their standards of evidence very low. As I complained about earlier, the people I see promoting this stuff via books, radio, tv etc. aren't very trustworthy. Yet that doesn't matter to those who want to believe.

You yourself made no comment about that either. I don't know if it was because you disagreed, or just didn't feel the need to say anything for whatever reason.

Just as an example:

Pillars of this community like von Däniken know how to play people. You know he spent years in prison for fraud, forgery, and embezzlement? It was during one of his prison sentences he wrote his second book. And I'm supposed to believe this guy knows what he's talking about?

Anyway..

I might be willing to make a thread about some specific points of the ancient aliens hypothesis. Perhaps you could share (via U2U if you want) with me what you feel the strongest supporting evidence(s) is. Or perhaps you would be in a better position to make a thread to argue for it. Not sure. But either way I am willing to keep discussing it one way or another. Though we have definitely drifted off topic here!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

yeah, well my view of people like daniken is, they like the idea, they find evidence they think suggests it, and just write books about it. i was gonna write a book about my stargate theory (i already have 3 tiny ebooks i wrote about it back in 2005, but they are free), but then my sister warned me that writing a book for sale, about controversial topics like that, will result in alot of unnecessary drama. then it dawned on me that if i was by chance, wrong at all, even the tiniest bit, i would've basically had people paying me money to read false data, even if it was the result of an incorrect theory i know alternative research just can't withstand the level of scrutiny inherent in game changing ideas. nothing short of physical, reproducible, undeniable evidence, will ever provide an umbrella of legitimization for such concepts.

so i resigned myself to just sharing it for free and watching as other alternative researchers take my ideas and make money off of them. lol at least i have the security, flimsy as it may be (cause i still get yelled at for even theorizing about it, much less trying to earn a living on it), that i didn't try to make money from my research. le mew, le sigh, le you gotta have nerves of steel to sell theories for money and i don't have nerves of steel. been in a coma, had breast cancer, and chemotherapy, and all kinds of not so nice stuff. so low impact is my schtick. if it gets too abusive, i go play video games or watch movies.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
oh and if you could start a thread, i'd like to approach it from the angle of evidence in ancient texts not just the bible but any ancient texts

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo
yeah, well my view of people like daniken is, they like the idea, they find evidence they think suggests it, and just write books about it.

That certainly may be the case with some of them. Whether that is the case or not is ultimately irrelevant. It is irresponsible to continue making such bold claims when you are proven to be wrong. That's called lying. And people in the public spotlight such as Däniken can't feign innocence, since they've been at it for decades. What they do is deliberate.

For example:

In The Gold of the Gods, Däniken wrote of being guided through artificial tunnels in a cave under Ecuador, Cueva de los Tayos, containing gold, strange statues and a library with metal tablets, which he considered to be evidence of ancient space visitors. The man who he said showed him these tunnels, Juan Moricz, told Der Spiegel that Däniken's descriptions came from a long conversation and that the photos in the book had been "fiddled".[22] Däniken told Playboy that although he had seen the library and other places he had described, he had fabricated some of the events to add interest to his book.[12][23][24] Later in 1978 he said that he had never been in the cave pictured in his book but in a "side entrance", and that he had fabricated the whole descent into the cave.[24] A geologist examined the area and found no cave systems.[22]

On a photo of the Nazca lines:

One of the cropped photos in Chariots of the Gods?, claimed by Däniken to be similar to the markings of a modern airport, was only the knee joint of one of the bird figures and was quite small in size; Däniken says that it was an error in the first edition, and that he wasn't the one who wrote that claim in the book, but the error has not been corrected in later editions.[27][31]

An interesting note from the same wiki page:

A 2004 article in Skeptic Magazine states that Däniken took many of the book's concepts from The Morning of the Magicians, that this book in turn was heavily influenced by the Cthulhu Mythos, and that the core of the ancient astronaut theory originates in H. P. Lovecraft's short stories "The Call of Cthulhu" written in 1926, and "At the Mountains of Madness" written in 1931.[42]

en.wikipedia.org...

then it dawned on me that if i was by chance, wrong at all, even the tiniest bit, i would've basically had people paying me money to read false data, even if it was the result of an incorrect theory

Sounds like you have some integrity! Though I don't know that it's wrong to share your ideas and maybe make some money off of them. It becomes an issue if you treat it as fact, even when it's shown to be otherwise.

i know alternative research just can't withstand the level of scrutiny inherent in game changing ideas. nothing short of physical, reproducible, undeniable evidence, will ever provide an umbrella of legitimization for such concepts.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I've got nothing wrong with alternative research, or people challenging what we know or think we know about things. But just because it's alternative and faces tons of scrutiny doesn't necessarily mean it has a lick of merit. When these things are pumped out by people who aren't even educated enough to draw informed opinions, have been caught in lies, promote other known bullcrap and each other, etc., that should be a huge red flag to anyone.

Just for the record. I think there could be something to the idea we've been visited in the past and/or present by aliens. I lean towards probably not, but I don't rule it out. I've got a lot of thoughts on the subject but ultimately I just don't know. And as I've made plain, I've yet to be convinced by any of the evidence presented for such ideas.

originally posted by: undo
oh and if you could start a thread, i'd like to approach it from the angle of evidence in ancient texts not just the bible but any ancient texts

I'll think about a thread. No promises though. If I decide to go for it, it won't pop up over night. Just saying.

edit on 4-29-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

it was a good thing i didn't write it for sale, cause i ended up modifying several of my original thoughts on it, nothing related directly to the gate itself, but to who/what i thought the characters represented in the texts. so yeah, was good i didn't. how would i ever correct that? i'd have to write another book and hope the same people who read the first one, would be reading the corrections in the second one. science is about the only area where you can make a mistake, correct it and move on. but when it comes to history, nope.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There are 4200 different religions in the world, they all claim to be the real one.
(There are over 41,000 different Christian denominations in the world, 35 branches of Islam,etc).

All those religions have different Holly books, Holly texts, stories and Gods.
All those religions cannot stand each other and cannot agree on the same laws, rules, etc.

If here is only one true religion and God..... which one is it out of those 4200?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

None of them. Religions are a complete guess. If the spiritual truly exists, no one earth has correctly described it yet. Need evidence of its existence first in order to do that.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

None of them. Religions are a complete guess. If the spiritual truly exists, no one earth has correctly described it yet. Need evidence of its existence first in order to do that.

I know, that's what I am trying to establish with those statistics.... there are all man made characters and books, or there wouldn't be so many and so completely different from the other.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Naturally. A real god would be able to spread its message to everyone on earth simultaneously instead of relying on fallible humans to do it for it. There would also be no need for translations and therefore no translation errors since said god should be able to communicate to each human in a way that the human understands the god.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Is that a fact, what is hell.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Saylesie17

You are nominal christians taught by your parents or whoever. true faith comes from God alone, a sad thing to say you all may end up in hell through your own choices.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19299699]Saylesie1 I Disagree and i will pray for you all. The truth of the lord is foolishness to them that are in darkness and perishing.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Christ is forever.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Saylesie17

Do you think you could keep your proselytizing contained to one post instead of spamming the thread with new posts?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
And i will die for him in an instant. you guys are so wrong, i know by personel human experience. its true i know it. You guys are condemnation without investigation.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Truth is truth so whatever you think im only saying ok.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I like one liners what you gonna do

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I will talk how i see fit ok, mind your nose.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36 >>

join