It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Man May Have Found Way To Rid The World’s Oceans of Plastic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

I never understood why no one tried to recycle it all and make a huge profit. If its a tens of thousands of tons of plastic, for free.....cant they sell it to plants that need plastic and DO buy it up for recycling?

What would it take? a couple tankers and fishing nets? In a year you would be done and be a billionaire.

It will cost you millions sure....but you would make much more back, not to mention the free money pouring in from environmentalist world wide and governments who want that publicity.

edit on 4 20 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

edit on 20-4-2015 by blackmetalmist because: ,,,

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos I am so glad you posted this! This is an amazing story! The young man is a God send! I saw a story about this young man and his fantastic ideas a year ago and posted it on my face book. I was so impressed back then.

I am your average normal person who picks up trash every time I walk my dogs, walk the beaches, or walk around my son's new high school. People need to spend time when walking, or on a Saturday for an hour, picking up trash where ever they are. Whether it is a restaurant parking lot, the mall parking lot, your child's schools, the park, sidewalks, beaches, the woods, abandoned forgotten cemeteries, farm land, vacant lots, construction sites, the sides of roads.... Clean it up. It does matter, and it is important. Recycle the trash and do something important for the earth's environment. This is everyone's job and responsibility this is where we all live. Thanks in advance for your clean up efforts!
carry a shopping bag with me and fill it up with trash on each walk. People are so dirty and abusive to the environment. Everyone could
The European countries are much better at recycling, reducing, and reusing than we are in America. When you go visit Europe take a re useable shopping bag with you. They don't use plastic bags. It is really rare to get one with a purchase. Recycle those plastic bags in America at your local grocery stores or Targets. Best Buy and Lowes have recycling stations in the front of the entrance inside the stores. Small batteries, cell phones, rechargeable tool batteries, ink cartridges, metal cans, plastics, glass, plastic bags are all recyclable. Take used tires to tire stores, and car batteries to the auto parts stores. Oil is recyclable at the recycling centers and the oil change stores. Every bit anyone does really matters to the environment. Sell scrap metal off by the pound to be recycled. In Kentucky especially, people need to clean out their hollers. That's where they have dumped their trash on their farms and properties for decades. We can do this and make a huge difference in our futures and the planet's environment.

edit on 20-4-2015 by frugal because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Net it and drop it in live volcano from helicopters.

you know it's too bad something like that couldn't be done to rid the world of nuclear waste..particularly that from Fukushima...and also maybe I should read entire threads before posting.

edit on 20-4-2015 by TwoRavens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: butcherguy

You know what I can't stand, not that you care...is when people like you seem to think pointing at a scientific discrepancy helps anything when all you're doing is pooping on an idea instead of contributing a solution. You're fired, pack your things and get out.

THIS. It is one thing to be honest about the reality of a situation, another to take away hope from those trying to make things better.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
this is a great and plausible idea. get large corporations to pay a small "green earth" tax bill to help pay for it. maybe if Big Oil realized it could profit from the use of the secondary oil production they could do something good for a change...
love it! great idea kid!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I never understood why no one tried to recycle it all and make a huge profit. If its a tens of thousands of tons of plastic, for free.....cant they sell it to plants that need plastic and DO buy it up for recycling?

What would it take? a couple tankers and fishing nets? In a year you would be done and be a billionaire.

It will cost you millions sure....but you would make much more back, not to mention the free money pouring in from environmentalist world wide and governments who want that publicity.

That has been proposed or something far more practical than tankers and nets.

the studies show that it would be profitable and the one proposing it is the kid in the video but there has to be money to fund building the platform.

I wrote the thread last year and it gives links to the details.

19-Year-old invents feasible solution to cleanup ocean garbage patches

They are set to do a pilot program the beginning of next year. The proposed main program will be profitable but it will either offset or eventually fund the entire program.

The plastic costs the world about 13 billion a year the cost to clean it all up would be about 43 million a year. It seems like a no-brainer to me that we should clean it up because it saves billions and cleans the oceans at the same time.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Please folks, stick to the topic which is not opinions of each other.

Thanks.

Do not reply to this post.

Blaine91555
Mod and Member

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
For hundreds of millions of square miles all around, plastic, sometimes feet thick, has swirled into a sort of vacuum.
But now, a 20 year old thinks he has possibly invented a way to rid the world’s oceans of plastics.

I dont know if 'feet thick" is figuratively speaking all not but by the sounds of it, it should be relativity easy and therefore chap to harvest it all back up again and use it for something, cant think what for just right now though.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TwoRavens

You know what I can't stand, not that you care...is when people like you seem to think pointing at a scientific discrepancy helps anything when all you're doing is pooping on an idea instead of contributing a solution. You're fired, pack your things and get out.

THIS. It is one thing to be honest about the reality of a situation, another to take away hope from those trying to make things better.

Personally, I am thrilled to hear that the pollution that actually exists in the North Pacific is so much less than originally estimated.... one would think that it is a good thing to have far less of it.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Isn't that relative thinking? What if an estimated 290,000 tons of garbage was in the ocean. Is that a good thing? What if the estimate was 1 ton of garbage? Then 290,000 sounds like a bad thing. But there's an estimated 8- 12 million tons of garbage every year in the ocean. Now what's your stance?

www.cbc.ca...

Lollygagging on this issue justifying your apathy towards pollution is disturbing

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Isn't that relative thinking? What if an estimated 290,000 tons of garbage was in the ocean. Is that a good thing? What if the estimate was 1 ton of garbage? Then 290,000 sounds like a bad thing. But there's an estimated 8- 12 million tons of garbage every year in the ocean. Now what's your stance?

www.cbc.ca...

Lollygagging on this issue justifying your apathy towards pollution is disturbing

Show me where I have stated that this is a non-issue or think that nothing should be done about it.
I stated facts as I found them.
Lying about the matter just causes more problems.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

We don't deserve the Earth, all we do is trash stuff, just like toddlers.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

www.cbc.ca...

Show me where I have stated that this is a non-issue or think that nothing should be done about it.

one would think that it is a good thing to have far less of it.

It's impossible for me to steer you introspectively into your own understanding of how you come off but this comment to someone as intuitive as myself shows you're hanging on an excuse rather than admit there's a problem, Also, judging by your past post history I already know what camp you belong to without even asking your opinion.

What you've done here is minimize the issue by pointing out the garbage isn't as big as they say and "It's a good thing to have far less of it. You spun a positive on a negative when factually, it's a negative as well. It's a good thing?? At what number does it become a bad thing?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Bio consuming algae and bacteria for the plastics. For Fukashima we need to keep it controlled as possible until we have an effective way to direct or transform gamma emissions. Then we can finally ignite it. The only other answer for Fukashima that I can even image to work but still is impossible, is time dilation.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I remember hearing about this last year. I still don't believe that these booms can survive a hurricane. Course we don't have hurricanes all the time, so if you could forecast them quick enough to allow time to recover the booms and garbage, that could work.

I am also wondering about how many species would get caught up in them? Nice that people are trying something though. I would ban small plastic water bottles yesterday if it were up to me as well. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TwoRavens

Personally, I am thrilled to hear that the pollution that actually exists in the North Pacific is so much less than originally estimated.... one would think that it is a good thing to have far less of it.

I fully support this post. Let this be a message to all sensasionalist's in any category on this forum.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

www.cbc.ca...

one would think that it is a good thing to have far less of it.

It's impossible for me to steer you introspectively into your own understanding of how you come off but this comment to someone as intuitive as myself shows you're hanging on an excuse rather than admit there's a problem, Also, judging by your past post history I already know what camp you belong to without even asking your opinion.

What you've done here is minimize the issue by pointing out the garbage isn't as big as they say and "It's a good thing to have far less of it. You spun a positive on a negative when factually, it's a negative as well. It's a good thing?? At what number does it become a bad thing?

You just dont want to understand it and are practicing your selective reading skills.

He said it is a bad thing that it is there but it is a good thing that it is not as bad as sensasionalists claim that it is.

There are very many variations on this sensational claim about this garbage patch. You can find them all around the web, "it is as big as australia, it is twice as big as france or "it is twice as big as continetal america"

You claim butcherguy is tasking away hope but fail to realize that if you make problems seem to big to solve that it will make people passive about it because they lose hope since the problem simply seem to big for anything to be done about it and people will go like "schuck it the world it all to hell and beyond repair, what can i do about it"

This! is what your type of promotion acomplishes on the human phsyce.

If people now throw around the claim that the radiation and amount of radioactive water flowing into the ocean is 500 times higher then reported, would you think that is is a good thing or a bad thing if someone shows you that it is a exaguration?
edit on 22-4-2015 by everyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join