It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: More drugs under fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The FDA has come out and issued concerns regarding the drug Naproxen. This is the third drug in recent months to be linked to heart problems. The earlier linkages were to Vioxx and Celebrex. Naproxen is an ingredient in several over the counter drugs, including Aleve.

www.thestreet.com
The Food and Drug Administration is now warning about heart risks related to the use of Naproxen, a popular pain killer sold over the counter under various names.

The latest shock to the industry came Monday night when federal regulators disclosed that the National Institutes of Health last Friday halted a drug study involving certain anti-inflammatory drugs and patients at risk for Alzheimer's disease.

One of the drugs involved, Naproxen, is sold in generic form but is also the key ingredient in such brands as Aleve, sold by Germany's Bayer (BAY:NYSE - news - research) and Naprosyn, sold by a subsidiary of Switzerland's Roche.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't know how other people feel, but this seems to be a very interesting, if not potentially serious, issue. How are all these drugs getting FDA approval? Who knows just how serious the issues are, but I know some the testimony that emerged after the Vioxx scandal suggested that there has been a serious lack of testing on these drugs. I also remember the Vioxx whistle-blower issuing concern about a bunch of other drugs that we have haven't heard more about, yet. I know he called out Seravent, and when I talked to my allergist about the concern, he knew absolutely nothing about it (which is interesting because the drug makers responses so far have been "talk to your doctor"). Big business, medicine, government...you decide.

[edit on 12-21-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Whao, I have taken all of them but celebrex, I took bextra.

Well I can not said I had a hart attack from any of them, the only think I got while taken naproxen was a rash and I had to stop taking it, so I guess I can not profit from the law suits.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I am currently taking Celebrex (and Soma) knowing of it's risks. It's subtle, but seems to be working. If I have a heart attack, I'll let you know...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
They said on my local news, that they tested that Allieve on altimers patients and said they were 50% more likely to get a stroke or heart issue from taking it...

Makes you feel better knowing these drugs are "safe" for ya ehh???

and no I dont take any kinda drugs to help me get thru certain issues...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

I may have taken this wrong, but there are those of us in constant pain, and though many of these drugs are poorly thought out, they do help some...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandoras_box
when I talked to my allergist about the concern, he knew absolutely nothing about it (which is interesting because the drug makers responses so far have been "talk to your doctor"). Big business, medicine, government...you decide.

Pharmaceutical companies do this to cover their asses especially when it comes to off-label uses. The healthcare professionals that you actually speak to when you call the companies basicly just read from scripted responses for requently asked questions or merely from the PI (package insert that comes with the product).

These drugs will not be pulled until the lawsuits out weight the money made from the product or the FDA forces the companies too. In the case of Celebrex, why would Pfizer pull the number one COX-2 inhibitor from the market when it made over 2 billion last year alone and now that Vioxx is off the market (anticipated re-release is 2008 at best) why would Pfizer lessen it's hold on the market when NO OTHER COMPANY produces COX-2 inhibitors. It is like any other business as money is the top concern. Don't let the 'friendly' commercials trick you into thinking that ANY company cares more about you then about your money.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is in addition to Australia making Mitragyna Speciosa (Kratom) a plant native to Thailand, a schedule 1 drug as of January 1, 2005, now making it illegal and putting it into the same category as Salvia Divinorum (Diviner's Sage)

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

I may have taken this wrong, but there are those of us in constant pain, and though many of these drugs are poorly thought out, they do help some...

Although his/her username is Thick Headed, I'm sure he/she did not mean it like that, but it does brings up the fact that 'matienance' drug users are stigmatised in the US which seems strange to me. Would you think less of a diabetic because he uses insulin? Shouldn't we strive to alleviate pain from the quality of our lives?

I personally will not take drugs until I absolutely have to but that is because of personal experience where things became much worse then they were. I would rather be a generally unhappy person then be insane. Any doctor that perscribes Xanax, Kilonopin and Paxel at once should have his licence revoked.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I can understand how maintenance drug use can be frowned upon and efforts should be made by the user and manufacturers/researchers to completely phase out drug use, but lemmie tell ya...

...after years of being in pain from scoliosis, migraines, GERD and finally being treated for the GERD and scoliosis including pain management, I am in heaven and feeling better than I have felt since I was a child. I'll take the risks of the side effects for now atleast and be content in the fact that I use perscription drugs to keep me feeling well...for now...

top topics

join