It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black suspect dies after Baltimore cops break his spine in ‘brutal’ police beating

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

after reading the sun article i don't think anything occurred at the point where he was arrested or in a holding cell. this article give a much better time line than the first you linked.

i'm no doctor, but with a injury that they say was 80% severing his spinal cord, i don't think he would have been able to stand up at all or even move his head.

here is another video.

now what happen at the jail house who knows, those guys are pretty tuff on people that fight or raise hell while their being booked.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

It's quite possible to damage the spinal cord and still move..paralysis happens when the swelling begins and kills the nerves via constriction.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

80% severed, as in only 20% holding the neck in place. as in severing 80% of the nerves going to the arms legs chest, heart lungs and all other muscle groups.

from the sun article.

— his spine was virtually severed, 80 percent severed, in the neck area," Murphy said. He called Gray's injuries "catastrophic."

it appears in the video that he does and can stand and move his head. like i said i'm no doctor, but with only 20% spinal column left intact, i would think he wouldn't have been able to get up and move at all if he was hurt that bad when taken in to custody and placed in the paddy wagon.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
First word of report -

BLACK suspect dies...

So, its now gone from a beating issue, automatically to a RACE issue.

In the video I see no use of ecxessive force. However as he's helped to the paddy wagon you see he has leg injury.

edit on AM1Mon20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy1972
First word of report -

BLACK suspect dies...

So, its now gone from a beating issue, automatically to a RACE issue.

I agree this division needs to stop. As long as it's a race issue, it's not a heavy handed police vs citizens issue.

I am white, and clean cut.

I had the Florida police slam me on the concrete, tell me to get up while standing over me, when I got up I lightly bumped into them beacuse I couldnt see them.

They said " now your getting a felony"
I said for what?
They said "resisting arrest with assault against a police officer"
i said " are you insane? You told me to get up."
Two of them proceeded to shoot their tazers at my spine while handcuffed.
One of them stole a $400 legal pocket knife from me and put it in his pocket, never on the report.

The tazers had no effect on me, which was kinda odd. I said " did you just taze me?"
"Not cool"

This bs needs to stop

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Heres an interview with one of the cops !!!

I dont know how to embed it, just came across it, but needless to say this officer is P'd Off.

It appears they tricked him into signing a contract to air the footage, must watch.

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

There isn't much info, just thought it fair to point out that it can be most certainly possible to move with a broken neck..the lameness in his leg could be an indicator of nerve or spinal cord damage(hypothetical).
I really have no idea what happened here but I'm pretty familiar with spinal cord injuries.
edit on 20-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

So you did't watch the video, even though it didn't show anything and say the following:

That's flat out over the top primal murder.

How do you figure?

I also like this after you jumped to a conclusion that this was murder without any evidence at all:

Good heavens. Whatever happened to due process?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I didn't say it was anyone's fault in official capacity - please read the rest of my posts for further clarification....for all we know it happened in holding and the kid had a history of ticking off the wrong people.

I didn't say we should charge or kill anyone for what they did to the guy.

Just saying karma has it's way of working itself out.

Jump the gun much?
Hope you don't carry, that's one hell of an itchy finger you have there.

edit on 4/20/15 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar edit - spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

What kind of system allows for brutality to go on where police feel like they can get away with it?
It seems like there is an attitude of they are above the law, not there to enforce it.

Maybe all your police need retraining in what they are paid to do?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProleUK

What kind of system allows for brutality to go on where police feel like they can get away with it?

The same system that América sold out to after 9/11.
The same system that should be changed because it has become tranical.

WHERE THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THAT IS LIBERTY.
WHERE THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TRYANY.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Good heavens. Whatever happened to due process?

You allowed your police across the country to think they're movie characters, then you give them military weaponry, while allowing them to operate without any oversight.

Power corrupts, we know this. But in the US you haven't just given police all the power, you've actively promoted the notion that they are infallible and to be forgiven for making bad decisions, because they do a hard job.

The mentality of hero-worship in the US seems out of control, there is a big difference between respecting someone who does a hard job, and building a cult of personality around a symbol of authority like this.

From the outside, it looks as though Americans have become used to and accepting of police being an authority to be respected and obeyed without question - and if you don't then you "deserve to be executed".

People are often saying this, claiming that if the suspect had just done as they were told they would not be dead. People really don't seem to get how deranged this is, it's like something out of North Korea - obey the man in uniform or you deserve to be murdered. That's crazy!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Where the government fears the people theres liberty.

Where the people fear the government theres tyrany.

Who fears who?

In 2014 593 people, irrespective of race or colour, were killed by police officers in the line of duty or not, irrespective of the method.

Thats better than many gangs....
edit on PM1Mon20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I did no such thing.

While I appreciate and concur with the rest of your post...I just want to reiterate:

I DIDN'T ALLOW OR VOTE IN THIS TYPE OF MADNESS.

Seriously. What's with the blame game?

Going after little girls because they're easy targets?
What gives?

ETA: If this is because I have "militant librarian" in my custom title, perhaps you should research what that movement was about before jumping to rote conclusions based on personal prejudice and loose association. I have never in any way shape or form condoned violence and superseding the Law just because some jerk with rank says it's ok it do so. Get your facts straight and stop with the personal attacks on my character because your reading comprehension skills suck. Thank you in advance.

edit on 4/20/15 by GENERAL EYES because: Edit to Add

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Yeah its all in the "gray area"....he sustained some pretty serious injuries and i am not sure the truth of how he got them will come out.....i suspect this will all be swept under the carpet until the next incident occurs....

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProleUK

It seems like there is an attitude of they are above the law, not there to enforce it.

Maybe all your police need retraining in what they are paid to do?

A failing system is one that allows for these things to happen...as far as the police go i am at a loss,the police for the most part were quite well respected when i was growing up,somehow somewhere things changed and do not look at this point like they are going to get any better.....

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Massive, angry but PEACEFUL protests in Baltimore tonight. Police Union calls protestors a "Lynch Mob", and people around here wonder why race is always brought up in these situations.

The family of this kid says that between the time he was loaded into the paddy wagon and then unloaded, he suffered a crushed throat/windpipe and a broken neck with 80% severed spinal cord. Both of these injuries unrelated to the leg injuries suffered during initial arrest.

This could be the case that finally spurs massive LEO reforms which is long overdue. Hopefully this isn't the case that spurs nationwide 1992 LA-style riots. We ALL need to join & support these protests and we need the good cops, in uniform, to stand WITH the protestors.

#AllLivesMatter
#EndThePoliceState
#JusticeForALL

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

edit on 23-4-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: double

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LowTechRedneck

This could be the case that finally spurs massive LEO reforms which is long overdue. Hopefully this isn't the case that spurs nationwide 1992 LA-style riots. We ALL need to join & support these protests and we need the good cops, in uniform, to stand WITH the protestors.

if it proven that these injuries were caused by the officers involved you may just be right there.....thx for the input...do you have any sources to show the injuries .... i was not aware he had a broken neck and a crushed windpipe .......thx in advance ...
edit on 23-4-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
In the clearest acknowledgement of failure yet, Baltimore police said Friday that Freddie Gray should have received medical attention

Gray was not buckled in, a violation of the police department's policy. Gray asked for medical help several times, and after a 30-minute ride that included three stops, paramedics were called. "We know he was not buckled in the transportation wagon as he should have been. There's no excuse for that, period," Batts said. "We know our police employees failed to give him medical attention in a timely manner multiple times."

Why do Baltimore police have to buckle suspects into their seat when they are being transported for processing? Because this is not the first time a suspect has died after taking an unsecured ride in a Baltimore police vehicle. In 2005, Dondi Johnson Snr died of a fractured spine after he was arrested by officers who failed to buckle him into the police van's seat when they were taking him to the booking centre.

$100 million wrongful-death suit against Baltimore police opens

Johnson died Dec. 7, 2005, of a fractured spine, according to the wrongful-death lawsuit filed by his family against the three officers. It contends that the officers "maliciously failed to belt [Johnson] into ... police van's seat so that he was subject to being violently thrown around the back of the vehicle as the Defendant Leake drove in an aggressive fashion, taking turns so as to injure [Johnson] who was helplessly cuffed."

But of course the officers involved in this latest incident all get a paid holiday, despite their department's admission they violated procedure. I hope the people of Baltimore do whatever it takes to ensure these types of thugs never get away with this sort of thing again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join