It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti Relativity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: Nochzwei

Then propose a coherent hypothesis that explains all of the observations that GR accounts for along with meaningful predictions that can be tested that GR cannot account for, wait for the data to roll in and collect your Nobel.
All the observations are being interpreted to suit GR. It also says as much in the link in the op.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
mathematics that leads to energy production and novel interactions with the fabric of reality could be deemed a "national security risk".

by "could be" i mean "is".
Point taken mate. Star for you

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
If GR isn't true:

- GPS would be out by miles every day. Because time dilation has to be taken into account when programming the software.

- we would ever have been able to send the Rosetta, cassini and Voyager (and countless ) probes to their locations

These are just 2 of the countless, proven , testable reasons why GR is correct and works.

These as such have sweet FA to do with GR

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: moebius

There are many scientists who hold the idea that Relativity is but a theory, and that for instance lenght contraction could be explained using electrton orbital deformation due to acceleration.

Scientists Challenging Mainstream Theories

That possibly holds true ONLY during acceleration. Once you reach a steady state velocity everything would snap back to its original dimensions.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 4/19.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I’ll bet in 20 minutes I could compile a list of reputable scientists who also question many aspects of Quantum Theory. And an even longer list of those who question the basic principles of String Theory/M-Theory. So what? What’s the point?

Einstein never claimed his theories to be the end-all and complete, final answer to everything occurring in nature. He didn’t develop his ideas in order to become a rock star, or achieve celebrity status. From everything I’ve read about him he was a humble man, not a narcissistic, ego-driven individual. He had a quiet, unassuming nature, with little interest in the limelight. The man was a towering genius, with a depth of intelligence and penetrating insight rivalled by few.

His 1905 papers, alone, pretty much laid the foundation of modern physics and changed our views on space, time, mass, and energy. In this single historic year, Einstein published the following:

1) An explanation in precise detail of Brownian motion, which served as the definitive confirmation that atoms and molecules actually exist.
2) He described/theorized the Photoelectric Effect, which established the dual nature of light (photons) as having both wave and particle properties. This idea was universally rejected by mainstream physicists until it was experimentally verified around 10 years later. This discovery was pivotal in establishing the field of quantum mechanics, much to his dismay years later.
3) In this same year Einstein proposed the Special Theory of Relativity. He developed this theory in order to resolve inconsistencies between Newtonian Mechanics and Maxwell’s equations of electromagnetism. In relation to this, Einstein predicted the equivalence of mass and energy (e=mc^2). After experimental confirmation, his theory became widely accepted. As of today, 110 years later, special relativity is still the most accurate model of motion at any speed.

For anyone interested, you can read more about Einstein at the Library of Congress Scientific Reference Services.

The fact is, all scientific theories/papers are open for scrutiny and modification. It’s a welcomed process, and it’s how we make progress. NOTHING is written in stone. I’m pretty sure there will come a time when both Relativity and Quantum Mechanics will only be referenced/taught in classes on the History of Science. But, that will likely be long after we’ve all gone, and it doesn’t diminish in any way the contributions made by the giant intellects who got us this far. For now, these are the best working models/descriptions of nature we have.

Peace...

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: netbound
I’ll bet in 20 minutes I could compile a list of reputable scientists who also question many aspects of Quantum Theory. And an even longer list of those who question the basic principles of String Theory/M-Theory. So what? What’s the point?

the point is that..
some notable scientists have been warned against denying GR !
It is not about what somebody does made up in his brain, it's about repression

BTW, there is also a lot on the net about Einstein not being such a great brain like told us 100 ears later

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19256277]netbound

His 1905 papers, alone, pretty much laid the foundation of modern physics and changed our views on space, time, mass, and energy. In this single historic year, Einstein published the following:

All flawed papers imo, creating a block or perpetual status quo for physics. Tho photoelectric effect is correct in so much as it works but not for the digital nature of light.
Besides e = mc2 did not, repeat not, come out of Einstein, tho he was credited for it for whatever reason.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

The link in your op is just as wrong as you.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Hown so?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

The link in your op is just as wrong as you.
Lol famous last words

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Telsa who was more clever than Einstein thought it was a bunch of horse #

From The New York Sun (July 10, 1935):

He found time while surveying his own past to express his sharp disagreement with the theories of Prof. Albert Einstein. He announced that the theory of relativity is "a mass of error and deceptive ideas and opposed to common sense," and that "not a single one of the relativity propositions has been proved."

From

teslacollection.com
The New York Times (July 11, 1935):

He described relativity as "a beggar, wrapped in purple, whom ignorant people took for a king." In support of his statement he cited a number of experiments he had conducted, he said, as far back as 1896 on the cosmic ray. He has measured cosmic ray velocities from Antarus, he said, which he found to be fifty times greater than the speed of light, thus demolishing, he contended, one of the basic pillars of the structure of relativity, according to which there can be no speed greater than that of light.

Some quite bizarre thoughts from Popular Science (November 1928), on electrons and radioactivity, showing remarkable misunderstanding of some already widely accepted at that time theories:

"To account for its apparently small mass, science conceives the electron as a hollow sphere, a sort of bubble," Tesla says. "Now, a bubble can exist in such a medium as a gas or liquid because its internal pressure is not altered by deformation. But if, as supposed, the internal pressure of an electron is due to the repulsion of electric masses, the slightest conceivable deformation must result in the destruction of the bubble!
"Just to mention another improbability, the force tending to tear an electron apart is, in pounds per square inch, represented by the staggering figure of 256,899 followed by twenty-one zeros - and this is 513,798,000,000,000,000,000 times greater than the tension that tungsten wire can withstand? And yet it does not burst! Not even when it is hurled against an obstacle with a speed hundreds of thousands times greater than that of a bullet!

edit on 20-4-2015 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

From The New York Sun (July 10, 1935):

He found time while surveying his own past to express his sharp disagreement with the theories of Prof. Albert Einstein. He announced that the theory of relativity is "a mass of error and deceptive ideas and opposed to common sense," and that "not a single one of the relativity propositions has been proved."

From

teslacollection.com
The New York Times (July 11, 1935):

He described relativity as "a beggar, wrapped in purple, whom ignorant people took for a king." In support of his statement he cited a number of experiments he had conducted, he said, as far back as 1896 on the cosmic ray. He has measured cosmic ray velocities from Antarus, he said, which he found to be fifty times greater than the speed of light, thus demolishing, he contended, one of the basic pillars of the structure of relativity, according to which there can be no speed greater than that of light.

Some quite bizarre thoughts from Popular Science (November 1928), on electrons and radioactivity, showing remarkable misunderstanding of some already widely accepted at that time theories:

"To account for its apparently small mass, science conceives the electron as a hollow sphere, a sort of bubble," Tesla says. "Now, a bubble can exist in such a medium as a gas or liquid because its internal pressure is not altered by deformation. But if, as supposed, the internal pressure of an electron is due to the repulsion of electric masses, the slightest conceivable deformation must result in the destruction of the bubble!
"Just to mention another improbability, the force tending to tear an electron apart is, in pounds per square inch, represented by the staggering figure of 256,899 followed by twenty-one zeros - and this is 513,798,000,000,000,000,000 times greater than the tension that tungsten wire can withstand? And yet it does not burst! Not even when it is hurled against an obstacle with a speed hundreds of thousands times greater than that of a bullet!

Tesla was a very very smart man. Smarter than Einstein? No

if you cant guys understand or refuse to understand how General and Special relativity have impacted our lives and what roles they take in science and cosmology...i feel bad for you.

And FYI. Science in no way, shape or form, concieves the electron as a sort of bubble.
edit on 20-4-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Tesla was a very very smart man. Smarter than Einstein? No

I say he was. He saw through it. Tesla was smarter than you and I and so that nullifies any opinion you have on whether he was right or not.

But feel free to explain the concept of the electron and relativity to us. I will listen and comment.

From New York Herald Tribune (September 11, 1932)

I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view.

edit on 20-4-2015 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I say he was. He saw through it. Tesla was smarter than you and I and so that nullifies any opinion you have on whether he was right or not.

This is a shameless appeal to authority fallacy. Tesla also fell in love with a pigeon and was a proponent of eugenics. The man is not beyond reproach. More importantly, there is a lot of experimental data supporting relativity so Tesla's incredulity counts for nothing. He was wrong, as experiments have demonstrated.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

Im not going to explain particle physics and Quantum mechanics to you. But suffice it to say that no one thinks the electron is a bubble. The fact that you cant understand Einstins genius leads me to belive that this will be beyond your scope.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Hown so?
Hown so?
Tell me hown was GR used in these instances? One at a time if youn wish

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

He was quite right imo.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

aw hell, Einstein stole some of his best ideas. Or, maybe "stole" is too harsh of a word. But his time working in the patent office gave him inspirations that eventually resulted in his later fame. Were he to have never worked in that patent office...who can say what sorts of inspirations he would have lacked.

Tesla, on the other hand, was one of those guys that was exceptionally brilliant, almost a savant. He was also eccentric to the point that I suspect he suffered from some mental illness. This combination of extreme intellect and loose associations derived from mental illness....that is where true genius can be found. It is a mind capable of almost anything, but unrestrained by the confines of the cement thinking of the everyday man. It is a mind that can explore abstract tangents without fear and witout guilt. Sane people like you and I....not quite as adept at that sort of thing, and we tend to fall back into the belief of "it can't be done" because we have preconcieved it so.

Other research supporting a link between intelligence and mental health problems shows bipolar disorder may be four times as common among young adults who’d earned straight-A’s in school. Though long suspected, evidence for this connection was found by researchers at King’s College London, in a collaboration with the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden by comparing Swedish national school records to diagnoses for the disorder. “We found that achieving an A grade is associated with increased risk for bipolar disorder, particularly in humanities and to a lesser extent in science subjects,” lead researcher James MacCabe, wrote in a study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry. “These findings provide support for the hypothesis that exceptional intellectual ability is associated with bipolar disorder.”

Perhaps not surpisingly, the correlation between A grades and bipolar disorder was strongest among students excelling in music and language, supporting popular notions about writers and artists with regard to mental health. A similar study from Jari Tiihonen at the University of Kuopio in Finland also supports the link, although with arithmetic as a correlative for IQ. In mining data on Finnish military conscripts, the Finnish researchers found an almost unbelievably high correlation between high-scorers and those who later received bipolar diagnoses — 12-fold.

Linky

If that isn't scholarly enough i can find actual papers to back it up.

Now, with that said....to argue who was smarter between Tesla and Einstein amounts to children arguing over whether Superman would be able to beat Wolverine. it nonsensical. But we CAN try to understand their minds a little more. As well as the source of inspiration for their great works. And in that light: Tesla derived his own inspiration, while Einstein recieved it from the patents filed through his office.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Now, with that said....to argue who was smarter between Tesla and Einstein amounts to children arguing over whether Superman would be able to beat Wolverine. it nonsensical. But we CAN try to understand their minds a little more. As well as the source of inspiration for their great works. And in that light: Tesla derived his own inspiration, while Einstein recieved it from the patents filed through his office.
Superman would win.

The story I heard was that Einstein got his inspiration from a compass he received as a child, which led him to want to understand the mystery of that compass, etcetera.

Tesla was an amazing engineer, and Einstein was an amazing physicist. Tesla was a poor physicist and Einstein is not famous for any engineering feats that I know of. So it's more like saying which is better, the best apple or the best orange?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

i guess it comes down to whether you prefer apples or oranges...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join