It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

An Amble Through The Forest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Denny and Alison were toiling their way through a forest that seemed to be becoming thicker and more overgrown with every step they took.

The day that had started out warm and sunny was now overcast and uninviting. Denny was making a show of finding it hard to keep up with Alison, who true to her headstrong nature was forging ahead, sure that they would find the path again.

Denny tried to slow her down, he'd seen what looked like an easier route and wanted to take it.

“Look at those trees up ahead” he'd suggested. “Can you see the faces on them?”

Alison snorted and ignored him, but he persisted. He chose a particularly good example of a faced tree just to prove his point. Then he chose a couple more to hammer it home. Finally, Alison hesitated and saw, through the gloom, the very faces that Denny was alluding to.

“It's spooky here” said Denny hopefully and tried to take her hand. Just to squeeze it in comfort.

Denny was not the outdoorsy type, he was thin and pale and rather bookish. He'd let Alison persuade him to go on this outing instead of just agreeing to it first time, as he'd wanted to. He didn't want Alison to know how much he liked her company and wanted to be with her, so he generally objected to her plans and then let her believe that she'd manipulated or persuaded him to go along with her.

The last thing he wanted was to look needy or possessive and had calculated just how much persuasion he ought to need before he deigned to spend time in her company.

Now, here he was trying to spook her so she'd laugh and go along with the game, but secretly be pleased that he was there to help her get out of the gloomy, overgrown tangle that called itself a forest.

Alison knew what he was doing but felt scared anyway. It crossed her mind that instead of a playful wimp trying to scare her with gnarly faces on trees she really needed a more rugged type who'd reign her in instead of letting her get them even more lost.

So they each played their little game, neither wanting to admit to being needy. One a little more enamoured of the other, but the other finding odd little quirks in her partner that could be endearing, if only he'd man up just a little bit.

The twilight, as it fell, was very beautiful and the forest took on a magical, eerie atmosphere. Alison didn't object when Denny tried to persuade her to look for elves and fairies. He'd sort of come into his own at this time of the evening and made being lost in the forest into an adventure.

They could hear small animals scurrying about and felt the tranquility as it settled amongst the trees.

They were both tired and, as the magic of twilight began to wear off and give way to darkness they both started to get a little tetchy.

Denny kept a lid on his frustrations the most efficiently, the last thing he wanted to do was upset a girl that he had passionate designs on. Even though she'd started to be a bit of a pain, he was sure in his heart that he'd chosen the right girl for him. He'd just have to let her play him a bit before he reeled her in.
What Alison hadn't realised through all the complaining and recriminations was that they were stumbling along the very thinnest of paths that was gradually widening. A path that Denny had spotted and very subtly guided her along.

He chose his moment to point it out to her and gave her the full credit for finding it. His generosity was rewarded by a massive, relieved hug which might have cheered her up even more than it cheered him.

Alison warmed towards him as he held her. When he was being geeky and whimsical it was easy to forget how strong and supportive his embrace could be. She could never understand why this skinny bookworm made her feel safe and secure or why she wanted him to, what with her being so independent and strong in her own right.

Denny reluctantly let her go and she reluctantly let him. He peered ahead and squeezed her arm a bit.

“I think I can see a clearing and it looks like there's a building in it”

Before he could stop her Alison went running on to investigate. Denny smirked a bit, and went to catch up. He knew she was thinking of people, and directions to be asked and maybe the chance of a lift back to somewhere near civilisation.

He didn't see how far her jaw dropped as she approached the house and saw that it was practically derelict. It looked as if it hadn't seen human habitation for a couple of generations at least.

He sighed. “It's shelter, at least” he said. “We'll stay until it gets light and then we'll try again to find our way out of the forest”

Alison looked as if she was about to cry but he didn't offer her comfort this time. “In you go” he cajoled “We need to be brave for this”.

And, in they went. It was dark inside and smelt of old leaves and possibly spices. Alison imagined an old kitchen from a couple of centuries ago and decided that this was what it would have smelled like.

As she peered around she saw a face peering back at her in the darkness and, remembering Denny's tales of gnarly-faced trees, she shrieked and nearly pierced poor Denny's ear drum.

Denny swore non-too politely but so far under his breath that Alison didn't quite catch what he said.

“It's only a mirror” he muttered. “I'd better look for some candles”

“Don't leave me by myself” Alison implored his retreating back. She started to feel small and wanted to be treated like a little girl but couldn't let him know that. So she straightened up and walked face first into a large spider's web. That is, a large web with a large spider still inhabiting it.

Denny started to suspect that maybe they were sharing the house with a banshee as Alison wailed and carried on to the point that he really, really wanted to laugh.

It was a shame for him that as he hugged himself and stifled his mouth that he fell over a chair.

He heard a small voice 'What was that?”

“I dunno, babe. Some critter or another. I'm just glad it didn't bite me”

“Did you find any candles?”

“Still looking. It's not easy when you're having to fend off wildlife that could go for your throat”

The next thing he knew, she was right beside him. “You look for the candles and I'll keep the creatures at bay” she said with only the smallest quiver in her voice.

Denny opened a door a little further along the hall and slowly went inside. “This looks more promising. It doesn't smell so musty, and.... bloody hell” “Nah” “No way”

Alison crept up behind to see what had so surprised her boyfriend. She couldn't see anything in the darkness. “What?” she whispered.

Denny put her in front of him and pointed her round to face a small light glowing on the wall – an electrical light. Indicating that some appliance or other was switched on.

He groped along the wall and, against what seemed to be all the odds, found a light switch. Suddenly before them stood a well-equipped and illuminated kitchen.

“Well..” started Alison, “There must be electricity in the rest of the house. We have to look around, we might find a bathroom or at least a sofa to rest on”

She glanced at the kitchen stools which weren't going to be a lot of use to two people who had spent hours stumbling around in a forest.

Denny went along the hallway feeling for more light switches but found none. He cursed as he passed that blasted mirror and caught a face leering at him.

He started to regret his silly stories about the trees having faces.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
He looked in the few other downstairs rooms but there were no lights and no nice, clean modern smells.

“What about upstairs?” asked Alison

“I'm not sure about going up a flight of stairs in the dark when I don't know the condition of them..”

His voice trailed off as she bounded up the very stairs that he was expressing mis-givings about.

“I'll look” she called happily.

Not so happily, she came back down.

“All dark and musty” she reported.

They headed back to the kitchen and fidgeted about on the stools. Neither wanted to be the first to say that they were hungry.

Or that they wanted the bathroom. Each wanted the other to be the first to break. Each wanted to appear big and strong and impress the other.

Denny slyly looked over at the sink “Is that tap dripping” he enquired absently.

“Why do you ask” said Alison, extremely suspiciously.

Denny recovered himself “Well, if that noise wasn't a dripping tap then it must have been something... someone else”

“What sounds like a tap dripping?”

“I dunno. When my dog salivated over my dinner you could hear the drool dripping on the floor. Maybe something's salivating over us”

“Oh God”

“Or maybe it's some creature relieving itself in the hall. Or perhaps there's another tap somewhere we haven't found yet. Perhaps there's a downstairs loo”

Alison perked up “You really think there might be um... facilities?”

“Maybe. Hey, I could look to see if there's a torch in here”

They both searched the cupboards and they both tried not to exclaim when they found food. But there was lots of it, neatly stacked away. Almost as if waiting for them.

“Could it hurt to have a glass of water?” Alison asked “I'd wash up the glass afterwards”

Denny smiled at her honesty “Perhaps you might want to find the loo first?” he suggested kindly and continued to root about until he found not a torch, but a big old candle and matches.

Triumphant they set off to explore the house which turned out to be filled to bursting with old books and ancient furniture. There were maps and charts on the walls and a large telescope nestled against a back win-dow.

“You know, a lot of these old places had outside facilities” murmured Denny.

Alison felt her knees buckle at the thought of the horrible old outhouse they were likely to find but desperation was starting to make the thought of even a hole in the ground sound attractive.

Out they went, and sure enough, a few yards from the house found a small and shabby building.

“You go first” Denny said chivalrously and handed the candle to Alison, who used it to illuminate the inside of the outhouse and the rather larger brother of the spider she'd discovered earlier.

It looked at her, sizing her up. It probably knew that it's little brother had been enough to scare the bejasus out of her and, ever so delicately, it pursed its lips “Boo” then scuttled off to lurk in a corner, paying close attention to Alison as she went about her business, utterly terrified but not wanting to admit weakness to Denny by asking him to bash it for her.

Out she eventually came.

“There's a spider in there” she said nonchalantly. “It thinks its big and clever, but I reckon its scared. It's hiding in a corner”

“Thanks for the heads up” smiled Denny and strode into the outhouse, being sure to give a conspiratorial wink to the spider.

After they'd gone the spider settled itself and forgot all about them.

Back in the kitchen two people found themselves able to concentrate on food now that the more urgent functions had been taken care of.

Alison went from considering a glass of water to wondering if she dared to have a cup of tea.

Denny said nothing but eyed a jar of biscuits conveniently placed beside the kettle.

He heard his stomach grumble and looked embarrassed. Nothing he could have done about that.

“What if we leave some money behind, with a note?” asked Alison. “There's so much food and we'd only take a little”

Denny looked dubious and she realised that he'd need some persuading. 'Same as always' she thought.

Gently she started to put forward all the arguments that made taking the food a good idea.

They'd had nothing to eat since before lunch.

They couldn't think straight when they were so light-headed and they'd need their wits about them in the morning when they needed to find their way back home.

Sleeping on the kitchen floor would be difficult enough but if they were hungry too, they never drop off.

Denny sighed “Well, it's your decision. I don't want you to do anything you might feel guilty about later. I mean, what if those are the owner's favourite biscuits?”

He rolled up his jacket on the floor and used it as a pillow, settling himself down.

“Oh for goodness sake. Don't leave me to do this by myself, I'm starving and I need to eat” Alison was having a hard time keeping her frustrations under control.

He sat up “Well... as long as you're absolutely sure”

“I am”

“Really, you want to do this? Take the food when you don't know who it belongs to?”

“We're already in their house, you were settling down for the night. And, look, I'll leave some money” she dredged up some coins from her pocket “That'll cover a couple of tea-bags and some biscuits”

Denny sighed. She'd obviously made her mind up.

She knew that sigh. It was his giving in sigh and she could scarcely conceal the grin on her face as she turned to put the kettle on.

Happily she made tea and then settled as comfortably as she could on a stool, about to sink her teeth into a chocolate biscuit.

Denny was still on the floor “What about you?” she asked

He picked himself up and she had munched her way through more than half of the biscuit before he'd even sat down.

Before she'd finished the biscuit, the lights went out.

Before, she would have screamed. But now, with tea and part of a biscuit inside her she felt a little braver.

“Power cut, do you reckon?” she asked.

“Probably” said an unconcerned voice from the depths of the floor “I'm going to sleep. G'night”

A few hours later Alison awoke to find herself on a dirty stone floor, not at all like the pristine tiled floor she imagined she'd started her night's sleep on.

Across a small, dank room she could see Denny busying himself in a scullery.

He'd found an old coat to put on, sensible she supposed considering that it was a bit chilly, although she wouldn't have fancied utilising any of the clothing that might have been found in this awful old house.

“Where, where am I? Why did you move me? Did the owners come back? Did you pay them for the tea and biscuits?”

“You're in the kitchen” came the answer “I didn't move you, no-one came back and it isn't necessary to pay for anything”

“Whaddya mean? Seriously, where are we? This isn't the same kitchen we were in last night”

“The actual question is 'When' are we? And the kitchen last night was an illusion”

“Eh?”

Denny looked over at her and smiled, a secret, tight little smile “Have a look around at your new home”

“My what?”

“It looks way better in the light, although with your modern standards you might want to run a duster or a broom over it. Your choice”

Alison got up and went out into the hall. Nothing had changed except it was now in daylight. And, indeed, very dusty. She caught sight of her dishevelled self in the horrible old mirror.

She went into the room with the antiquated telescope. She looked at the antiquated leather-bound books.

edit on 18-4-2015 by berenike because: wretched windows

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
She went up the rickety and dangerous-looking stairs wondering how she'd scampered up them last night without breaking her neck.

She peered into two musty bedrooms containing an assortment of chests and yet more books. Curiosity got the better of her and she started to read the titles, spell books, astrology books, alchemy books.... the what?

She flew down the stairs “What's going on? You'd better have some answers mister”

Denny still smiled his secretive little smile “Ready for some breakfast?” he asked proffering a huge dish of steaming porridge. “There's ale on the table”

“Why couldn't we have this food last night? You wouldn't even touch a biscuit”

“Oh, those weren't for me. Those were for you”

“But you almost didn't let me have them”

“Er, no. I simply gave you three opportunities to take or refuse them once you'd freely decided that you wanted something to eat”

“WHAT???”

“That's the rules. I couldn't suggest eating and I couldn't persuade you to eat.”

“What rules?”

“The rules of the spell”

“The do which?”

Denny realised that now he'd performed his fait accompli he'd better explain himself.

“I'm err.. sort of a wizard and I scryed – a lot. It used to be a bit of a habit of mine. Scrying into the future. And I noticed that women from the future were rather more attractive than the unappealing lot around here. So, um yes, it really became a bit of a hobby. And then I found you”

“You scryed me...?”

“Well, yes and then I cast a spell to take me to the future to meet you and now I've brought you back to my time, to be with me.”

“Well, bloody well take me back. I mean, bollocks to this, I'm just leaving. You have your little fantasy, I'm having nothing to do with it.”

“You'll have to come back, you know. The world out there is very different from the one you came from”

“Yeah.... right. Bye now”

“Look out for brigands. Oh, and we've got wolves, the big sort. You wouldn't have seen them in your time”

“Bloody lunatic”

Denny sat down with his porridge. She'd be back soon enough. She'd only have to go a little way up the road and see the locals before she realised she really wasn't in her own time.

He smugly congratulated himself on letting her play him until he'd managed to reel her in.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Great story! There's more right?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Never saw that coming! and the spider said "boo!" lol!

Boy, is she ever going to be pissed when she fully realizes the predicament she's in. And he doesn't love her, he only wants to possess and control her, and how can she ever love him and want to stay with him when he's a kidnapping criminal holding her against her will? I hope she makes his life a living hell until he restores her to her rightful life.

I agree with Night Star.

Part II: Revenge!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Hi Guys

Thank you.

I did think that he might live to regret his decision, but that story sort of wrote itself.

I think it's fun to let the reader anticipate the consequences that Denny fairly obviously hadn't considered

OH - and many, many thanks to ladyinwaiting for giving me the idea for the story.
edit on 19-4-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

I think it's fun to let the reader anticipate the consequences that Denny fairly obviously hadn't considered

As you wish.

She learned many of his witchery skills over time, eventually turned him into a frog and he sits on a lillypad to this day catching flies with his tongue, and begging pretty girls to kiss him.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Funny you should suggest that - I've got a couple of stories on here about the Frog Prince

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Ahahahaha! Great ending!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I like this story of yours the best so far.

Manipulation of others for nefarious purposes really does happen, but chucking in a magical spell to add more insult to injury is chilling.

Still Denny seems to love or have an infatuation over Alison, which ultimately means, she could have the last laugh, or so I feel if the story continued.

I liked it.

edit on 19-4-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Thanks Daz

I did sort of feel that Denny might get his comeuppance and, up to now, can't think of a better solution than to turn him into a frog as ladyinwaiting suggested

It's funny, though, I could feel their connection as I was writing their story...

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Or maybe she might begin to love her captor again...

Stranger things have happened and that would add a nice little twist...

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Yes, I did feel that they had something she might agree to salvage but it's asking her to forgive a pretty horrible set of actions by a very unscrupulous man.

I like to think she had enough about her to make him regret what he did
Just the fact of taking her back to a time before indoor plumbing had been invented should be enough to warrant a thick ear, at least.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Well, she could turn him into a pet and learn to love him in a different kind of way...

That would be disturbing, the sorcerer becomes a pet and at the mercy of his lover and master...

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

As soon as they turned into something cute and furry I'd never be able to be merciless to anyone.

Stupid creature would end up living the life of Riley

I reckon you've got the makings of a story there, though. Why not try writing it?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I don't know, it's a good story but I feel like I'm feeding off of your creativity.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Go for it.

I asked ladyinwaiting to drop me some ideas because I couldn't think of anything to write about.

That story I wrote about the lucky piece of glass came to me when I saw an old piece of glass on the path when I was out walking, but I don't seem to find much inspiration these days.

If you have an idea and you feel you can make a story out of it, give it a go. The pet idea was entirely yours. You can make up two different characters and off you go. Or call it collaborative writing and have Alison sock it to Denny

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Hmm...we'll see. I'm not sure I could do it justice...

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Try and see if you like the result.

I wasn't very happy with this story, it's a bit different from what I usually write, but you said you liked it more than the other two you read.

You never know what will appeal to other people, but you're under no obligation to post it if you don't think you've got it quite right.

Listen to me, the world's laziest writer, trying to give you a pep talk

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Lol...well thanks for the pep talk.

I have to get into the mood to write, so we'll see if this comes about over the next week.

I look forward to reading more of your stories anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join