It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olivia Wilde Isn't Apologizing For That Photo Of Her Breastfeeding

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: WarminIndy
So why are you all cross with me?
I think breastfeeding is a beautiful thing which should be the right of women everywhere to do whenever her and her baby need to if she wishes.
I also support the gender neutral laws in the UK which allows everyone to walk topless if they wish.
I'm genuinely not seeing whatever it is you are cross with me about, certainly from anything I've posted in this thread.

...I'm walking down my hill to catch the local shop before it closes, hopefully when I get back I'll read a reply explaining my crimes lol

I am cross because you are defending toplessness, because it pleases you and your friends....that is why you are defending breastfeeding.

Had you not defended toplessness and not thought of us as repressed, then maybe I would have found your argument convincing.

That's the problem I had, don't be so hypocritical, you are pleased about top less women. Breastfeeding is just a side thought.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Personally I'm flabbergasted(old word) that this is even a topic in the 21st century. 7 pages?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

For anybody to have lost an argument against you, you would have had to have had an argument yourself to begin with. Reading this thread from the beginning, and I'm not entirely sure that you did - beyond 'Boobies should be for boners, seeing them used to feed infants feels unnatural.'

You're living in a world where 51% of the other people around you are going to be women. A good chunk of those women are going to have babies, and a good chunk of those babies are going to be hungry at any given time. Learn to deal with it, or maybe I could suggest Saudi Arabia.
edit on 4/19/2015 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Personally I'm flabbergasted(old word) that this is even a topic in the 21st century. 7 pages?

But we managed to stay on topic,
you have to agree to that much.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: Rocker2013

The same throughout most of Western Europe.
Americans throw a hissy fit if a woman flashes a nipple on TV though, and they claim to be leaders of the free word... mentally, emotionally, religiously, sexually, America is very backward.

Sorry, and maybe we are "backwards", but I don't see immodesty as some type of enviable trait, or some "progressive' characteristic we should immolate. If we are modest a while longer, suits me. I assure you it's fading fast.

I actually find modesty rather charming.

I agree! That from a mom who did breastfeed in public, too. I didn't do it like she did int he pic, though. Shirt up from the bottom, and almost nothing shows. It can be done with more modesty, and modesty is NOT a bad thing. It can be overdone, of course, but it's a good trait. I love the fact that my kids are all modest enough to want to change in private. They should want that. The girls don't wear super short skirts, either, or bikinis. Decency is a good thing.

To the thread in general - I wonder if some of the people that protest breastfeeding in public aren't among the same ones that protest children in public. There are people like that. I have read comments (NOT on ATS) from such folks. Some claimed children should never be in any restaurant. Others claimed they should not be allowed on planes, with one even going so far as to claim they should be flown like pets in a cargo hold! Maybe the anti-breastfeeding sorts are in that crowd.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: intrepid

But we managed to stay on topic,
you have to agree to that much.

Just sayin as a dad of 3, they're adults now, that breastfeeding is actually a REAL pain in the ass.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Wow, no, that is all solely your invention. You are absolutely wrong about everything you have asserted about me tonight.
I note that you stated you don't believe me in a post I missed while I was typing my last reply.
If you do not believe the person you are debating then debate is no longer possible.

...the men in your life experience must be a pretty #ty bunch based on your opinion of men and how you think they think.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: Rocker2013

The same throughout most of Western Europe.
Americans throw a hissy fit if a woman flashes a nipple on TV though, and they claim to be leaders of the free word... mentally, emotionally, religiously, sexually, America is very backward.

Sorry, and maybe we are "backwards", but I don't see immodesty as some type of enviable trait, or some "progressive' characteristic we should immolate. If we are modest a while longer, suits me. I assure you it's fading fast.

I actually find modesty rather charming.

I agree! That from a mom who did breastfeed in public, too. I didn't do it like she did int he pic, though. Shirt up from the bottom, and almost nothing shows. It can be done with more modesty, and modesty is NOT a bad thing. It can be overdone, of course, but it's a good trait. I love the fact that my kids are all modest enough to want to change in private. They should want that. The girls don't wear super short skirts, either, or bikinis. Decency is a good thing.

To the thread in general - I wonder if some of the people that protest breastfeeding in public aren't among the same ones that protest children in public. There are people like that. I have read comments (NOT on ATS) from such folks. Some claimed children should never be in any restaurant. Others claimed they should not be allowed on planes, with one even going so far as to claim they should be flown like pets in a cargo hold! Maybe the anti-breastfeeding sorts are in that crowd.

They just might be.

I don't care if women do, my mother breastfed my siblings in front of me, nothing new about that. I have never really seen an immodest woman breastfeeding immodestly.

I really think it is a personal thing between a mother and a child, so as long as we don't intrude with our stares. But she has to do it, the baby comes first.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Wow, no, that is all solely your invention. You are absolutely wrong about everything you have asserted about me tonight.
I note that you stated you don't believe me in a post I missed while I was typing my last reply.
If you do not believe the person you are debating then debate is no longer possible.

...the men in your life experience must be a pretty #ty bunch based on your opinion of men and how you think they think.

Oh no, it's not from men in my life...

Did you or did you not defend the legality of women being top less, because it pleases you and your friends? If that is the case, then you do not primarily see that breasts are for feeding, but bringing pleasure to you, first and foremost.

Sorry, but I have gotten the oogles all my life, the men staring, and the men saying the same things you have. And then I see that you men are quite content going to the strip clubs, Hooters, watching movies with women displaying them, buying the girls drinks so you can touch them or see them....and then you tell me that breastfeeding is beautiful, but it can't be so if seeing top less women pleases you so that you defend the legality of it, because it pleases you.

That is what we call sexualizing. You said that you can separate the ideas of breastfeeding and being sexually turned on by them, so that breastfeeding does not equate sex to you, however, the idea of breasts turns you on so much that you defend the legality of what pleases you.

Don't be a hypocrite. You could have just said that breastfeeding does not turn you on, and yet there are a lot of men who are turned on by it.

It is because in Western society, the beauty, the availability, the psychological idea of fertility is in breasts. That is a throwback to our ancient ancestors who created so many idols and statues depicting women with huge breasts, because she is associated with fertility.

And how is fertility expressed? Sexually.

How many of those statues and idols created by those ancient ancestors depicted mothers breastfeeding? But in Rome, Remus and Romulus were depicted breastfeeding from the mother wolf.

Always, breasts have been associated with fertility, and that fertility was expressed sexually, that is why so many ancient rites and rituals involved sex.

Maybe women got tired of it and just wish that you didn't see us in that way. Maybe we just want to be able to breastfeed our children without the association of fertility.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I think this is a case of women are from Venus and men are from Mars.

You certainly don't sound like the kind of woman who goes around displaying them for exhibition.

Definitely not. I would wear a bikini when younger, and fitter, but never a suit of any kind that showed anything it shouldn't!

To address some other points in the thread, from others -

1. Milk doesn't get "all over the place" when someone breastfeeds a baby. The baby draws it out, and consumes it. This should be obvious.

2. NO mother should ever be told to go feed her baby in a bathroom. Anything thinking that needs to go eat their own lunch in a bathroom, or shut up about it already.

3. Not all babies will eat covered up. Sometimes, it's too hot, and the baby needs to breathe! Cover your head with a blanket, and walk around outside in the summer, with no air on your face, and try eating that way.

4. Not all mothers can express milk.

5. Not all breastfed babies (in fact, the majority) will take the milk from a bottle. My oldest son wouldn't, at all. Same milk, wrong container.

6. To those in Europe. - It's legal everywhere I know for a mother to breastfeed her baby anywhere the mother can legally be. Inside, outside, anywhere. It's some people that have a hangup. Many don't care at all. No one ever said a word to me when I was feeding all of mine. That includes walking around the zoo, shirt scooted up to nurse, and no blanket. Not much shows, and people didn't seem to care. If anyone did, they didn't say a thing to me. Then again, maybe that's me, lol! They wouldn't have liked the response, for certain.

This isn't about Americans being "too modest", or "repressed", or whatever. This is about breastfeeding. Most Americans that I have encountered don't seem to care. Some moms are more modest about it, but that is a personal thing. Don't let the noisy complainers make you think we are all that way. And, no, it isn't about religion, either. I breastfed in church, without a single comment. I did use a light cover, out of respect for the older folks, who might consider it inappropriate, but that was a courtesy for them.

Any young moms reading - do the right thing for ou and your babies, and fed them naturally if you can!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Did you or did you not defend the legality of women being top less

Yes, I defend equal rights law, such as we have in the UK. I go topless in the Summer and I'm glad I live in a land which allows women to do the same without fear of prosecution. What is wrong with that?
Everything else you posted is just completely invented conjecture by yourself and frankly wrong/incorrect/ridiculous, take your pick.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Did you or did you not defend the legality of women being top less

Yes, I defend equal rights law, such as we have in the UK. I go topless in the Summer and I'm glad I live in a land which allows women to do the same without fear of prosecution. What is wrong with that?
Everything else you posted is just completely invented conjecture by yourself and frankly wrong/incorrect/ridiculous, take your pick.

OK, have it your way.

But the next time you see a topless woman, just watch your thoughts...if you think a wink is coming on, just remember, her breasts are for feeding and not for you to look at.

After all, that's what you are defending, right?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

We don't care, you are correct.

We just like our men to be honest. Some of them aren't so much, but we hold them accountable.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

A boob's first purpose is to express milk though surely, so isn't the problem in the mind of whoever cant see a tit without going all Beavis and Butthead?

your giving some members way, way, too much credit

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Yow'm right, but i may have been a bit of meanie rather too often this week, and i was trying to be all reasonalble, which i can't even spell right now.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
No it's not.
What kind of binary world do you live in?!
If I'm admiring any part of a woman, let's say tight abs and a fit stomach, what the # is your problem?
Stomach area is where food is processed and when thinking of the stomach area I can go all impressed by the magic of the biological processes at work. I can equally look at UK athlete Jessica Ennis and her abs and think thoughts of attraction.
When I see a woman breastfeeding I go aww and mushy inside at the beauty of the biological process going on, but when I see the female form in a non-breastfeeding situation I will have thoughts of attraction.
Are you just trolling? Do you really not believe that I can separate thoughts and emotions when I see breasts in different settings?

*Edit*
# me you must only know cavemen lol

edit on 19.4.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

A boob's first purpose is to express milk though surely, so isn't the problem in the mind of whoever cant see a tit without going all Beavis and Butthead?

Hey, do straight men like looking at boobs? Sure thing!
Should women be able to breastfeed in public with feeling intimated? Absolutely!
Is it incumbent upon guys not to be drooling morons when witnessing such? Well ya!

I note that Europeans have a much better attitude, given that women's breasts are not such a novelty over there. Perhaps Americans go to Hooters as a desensitising exercise, and should be lauded for their efforts?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Is this what Americans think ?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: jimmyx

Hey, do straight men like looking at boobs? Sure thing!
Should women be able to breastfeed in public with feeling intimated? Absolutely!
Is it incumbent upon guys not to be drooling morons when witnessing such? Well ya!

I note that Europeans have a much better attitude, given that women's breasts are not such a novelty over there. Perhaps Americans go to Hooters as a desensitising exercise, and should be lauded for their efforts?

OK, you have Hooters in Canada also....

But we just wish men wouldn't be hypocrites. The person I kept addressing was saying that "he was pleased with top less laws".

Maybe it was a Freudian Slip on his part.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat

Is this what Americans think ?

Jim Carrey...Canadian.

Some guys probably thought that was hilarious.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join