It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. House passes estate tax repeal

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: beezzer

Wow. Hyperbole much?

Sorry, I just don't by the "double taxed income" argument. It's stupid because frankly the child is getting income from the parents through the inheritance. The money is passing ownership. So it is income again. Tax it.

So my children should pay taxes on money I gave them when I dies?

Wonder if it's okay then to give them money when I'm alive. So they wouldn't get taxed on it then, or would you rather that we start taxing allowences.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
a reply to: intrepid

Here I'm sure you can find more google is your friend.

It sure is. Take this chart, not a blog entry:

upload.wikimedia.org...

Not even close to what you have purported.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

a reply to: beezzer

Wow. Hyperbole much?

Sorry, I just don't by the "double taxed income" argument. It's stupid because frankly the child is getting income from the parents through the inheritance. The money is passing ownership. So it is income again. Tax it.

So my children should pay taxes on money I gave them when I dies?

Income is income.

Wonder if it's okay then to give them money when I'm alive. So they wouldn't get taxed on it then, or would you rather that we start taxing allowences.

It's exploiting loopholes like this that makes our legal system a logical mess.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Why would you rather keep draconian agencies like DHS, TSA rather than starve them to extinction with fewer tax dollars?

Do you like/want the DHS and TSA?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Why would you rather keep draconian agencies like DHS, TSA rather than starve them to extinction with fewer tax dollars?

Do you HONESTLY think that eliminating the estate tax is going to starve those agencies of their funding? Because I don't. What'll instead happen is that the government will just make up for the tax shortfall by borrowing more than it did before the estate tax repeal.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I'm sorry my friend, and I feel you are but this makes no sense. You and I have proven that neither party cares for smaller gov't, better spending, borrowing and taxing. But removing a tax on the wealthy isn't going to change any of that. How could it?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Do you HONESTLY think that eliminating the estate tax is going to starve those agencies of their funding? Because I don't. What'll instead happen is that the government will just make up for the tax shortfall by borrowing more than it did before the estate tax repeal.

One repeal of a single tax won't solve all the problems, but it's a step in the right direction.

I just don't see anyone wanting to take that step.

You won't even bother with it and instead, like so many, want to place the onus on the wealthy, keep oppressive government, keep bloated beurocracy, and keep feeding government and doing what government wants.

*all bow 5 times towards DC*

I, on the other hand, will fight any tax increase, fight any attempt to have government gain more control or grow larger.

It's just who I am.

If people want bigger government and will support and embrace it, then okay, it's still a sorta free country.

Go for it.

I will be against it though.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I'm sorry my friend, and I feel you are but this makes no sense. You and I have proven that neither party cares for smaller gov't, better spending, borrowing and taxing. But removing a tax on the wealthy isn't going to change any of that. How could it?

It's a step in the right direction.

Any other position only reinforces my opinion that many people pay lip-service to freedom and liberty, but would rather feed the foot that is on their throat.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

One repeal of a single tax won't solve all the problems, but it's a step in the right direction.

I just don't see anyone wanting to take that step.

That step is a lie, government spending won't go down to match the loss in tax revenue.

You won't even bother with it and instead, like so many, want to place the onus on the wealthy, keep oppressive government, keep bloated beurocracy, and keep feeding government and doing what government wants.

What I want to do? I don't recall volunteering that information in this thread.

*all bow 5 times towards DC*

I, on the other hand, will fight any tax increase, fight any attempt to have government gain more control or grow larger.

It's just who I am.

Even if the reason for fighting it is absurd?

If people want bigger government and will support and embrace it, then okay, it's still a sorta free country.

Go for it.

I will be against it though.

There are already MUCH better ways for the government to free up money for other things than eliminate the estate tax. Eliminating the estate tax isn't going to change anything spending wise. You need to actually CHANGE policy for things to change. End the war on drugs and suddenly it frees up WAY more money for legit police work. End the war on terror and it frees up WAY more money for domestic security.

Start with ending some of these draconian police policies then we'll talk about smaller government, until then your wishes for a smaller government are a pipe dream.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Difficult to do when we have people who argue for funding it.

Again, sorta free country.

Embrace your government. Do what you want.

I'm going to vote for people who "say" they are against it (so far, all are liars) but like Diogenes, I'll keep looking. I'll keep arguing against more and higher taxes.

But that's just me.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Obama will veto it, so big ol' government will still get everyone's money.

I thought you were going after both parties. Doesn't seem so. Those agencies that you mentioned were created during Bush 2. Seems like the GOP isn't much interested in small government either.

While it's true the GOP has it's own big government problem, it does manifest in different ways. At any rate, the DHS isn't so much an agency as it is a new roof to bring all the other assorted agencies together under. They realized that consolidating all of the power was going to be necessary in order to take the next logical step towards totalitarianism.

Basically, I don't really think that's a partisan issue. I think both parties are basically "in on" that one.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
a reply to: intrepid

I hate it when the gov't caters to the wealthy at the detriment of the lower classes.

It's income that's already taxed. I don't have that type of inheritance ... but even I can see that this is robbery by another name. The lower class is not entitle to it ... it's not theirs to begin with.

That is a MYTH...The estate tax is a TRANSACTIONAL tax AND is 90% Unrealized Capital Gains (aka...Mansions and Stock holdings) things that have not been sold yet.

It is only "double" taxation if you treat John L. Moneybags Sr. (deceased) and John L. Moneybags Jr. as the same person.

• 99 percent of estates pay no estate tax at all, primarily because the first $1.5 million of any estate’s value ($3 million for a couple) is entirely exempt from the estate tax. Thus, 99 percent of estates cannot face “double taxation” under the estate tax for the simple reason that they owe no estate tax.

• For those few, large estates that do owe estate taxes, a substantial proportion of their assets have never been taxed. Indeed, the majority of assets in estates valued over $10 million consist of untaxed capital gains — that is, property, stocks, and bonds that have appreciated in value since they were first purchased by the decedent but have never been subject to tax.

• Given that untaxed capital gains make up a major part of large estates, some have suggested that it would be appropriate to slash the estate tax’s top tax rate to 15 percent, the current capital gains tax rate. That, however, would reduce the share of an estate that is paid in estate taxes — that is, the effective tax rate — to an average of just 6 percent, a mere fraction of the capital gains rate, because of the large exemptions and deductions available for the estate tax.

www.cbpp.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm no fan of the 1% but I think the less taxes the better. Get rid of this. The core of the USAs tax problem is that most of us are taxed to heavily on everything and huge corporations get huge tax breaks. This little thing ain't a big deal. Get rid of it.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Yea, no #. The same can be said about the estate tax. What kind of rebuttal was that?

I'm going to vote for people who "say" they are against it (so far, all are liars) but like Diogenes, I'll keep looking. I'll keep arguing against more and higher taxes.

But that's just me.

Taxes aren't ALWAYS bad you know?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

So when lower taxes for everyone!.. turns into...Only lower taxes for the 1%..You just shrug your shoulders and keep voting the corruption in. At least the rich got richer? even if the poor get poorer?

For someone that claims to see right through President Obama's purported "free stuff for everyone" pandering, you seem shockingly comfortable with your own gullibility when it comes to those that regularly transfer our tax dollars to the 1%.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Like I said, defend funding a bloated government that shows no sign of shrinking.

Defend higher taxes.

It's your right. You are free to do so.

ANd as long as I am free to do so, I will argue against a draconian, bloated government that has no accountability, has government agencies like TSA, DHS, has policies like NDAA. I will fight against these things.

You are free to support them as you wish.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I'm for less taxes.

Even if I don't readily benefit from it.

You're right in that regard.

I think that taxes, all taxes should be frozen until a full accountability is held with government spending.

I guess that makes me the bad guy.

S'okay. I'll accept that.

You keep fighting for bigger government.

I'll be fighting against it.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

But that's just me.

Maybe instead of voting for the people who lie about wanting smaller government, you should instead vote for the people who want smarter government? When you elect the people that run on a platform of making government dysfunctional that's exactly what you'll get. Why is our government so inept when many European governments aren't?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I'm no fan of the 1% but I think the less taxes the better. Get rid of this. The core of the USAs tax problem is that most of us are taxed to heavily on everything and huge corporations get huge tax breaks. This little thing ain't a big deal. Get rid of it.

When you remove a tax on the wealthy, the government makes up for it by taxing the middle class higher.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: amazing

When you remove a tax on the wealthy, the government makes up for it by taxing the middle class higher.

But it doesn't need to be that way, we can just start budgeting our government and taking away these taxes and taking away the tax cuts and subsidies for corporations. It's easy really.

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join