It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. House passes estate tax repeal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

speaks to my belief that laws should only be allowed when they affect/constrain government. Like it was suppose to be in the beginning.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
At least the "wealthy" are self sufficient and don't add to poverty.

Nor add much to the public coffers either.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
People who don’t like taxes

Do you like police, firemen, paved roads, schools for your children?

Of course excess taxes and bad financial management are problems that should be dealt with but Taxes in theory are supposed to be our money paying for needed public services.

Like a cop preventing a rich guy from being mugged!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
People who don’t like taxes

Do you like police, firemen, paved roads, schools for your children?

Of course excess taxes and bad financial management are problems that should be dealt with but Taxes in theory are supposed to be our money paying for needed public services.

Like a cop preventing a rich guy from being mugged!

Almost every tax you mentioned is taken care of on the state and local level!

Care to change that train of thought?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Would you donate to a charity that only spend 10 cents for every dollar you gave, towards what it was supposed to?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The GOP started to hate taxes when they began using public funds to aid the poor

I wonder is that a coincidence?

…and started government hatred rhetoric ONLY when the government started to protect minorities from the abuse of the states such as making black people drink out of separate water fountains and making black people sit on the back of a bus and preventing Jim crow

Again people started hating government when they began to pass and enforce such laws against those abuses

I wonder is that just a coincidence?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

How much tax would be necessary to solve the social and economic problems of all governments worldwide that are in debt?

Keep in mind that all governments are in deep debt and are failing.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The GOP started to hate taxes when they began using public funds to aid the poor

…and started government hatred rhetoric ONLY when the government started to protect minorities from the abuse of the states such as making black people drink out of separate water fountains and making black people sit on the back of a bus and preventing Jim crow

Again people started hating government when they began to pass and enforce such laws against those abuses

It was the Democrats in the Southern States who were responsible for the Jim Crow laws, or are you conveniently leaving that part of history out so it fits in today?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

It was the Democrats in the Southern States who were responsible for the Jim Crow laws, or are you conveniently leaving that part of history out so it fits in today?

Then if you know your history ALL of those democrats moved to the GOP after Democrats AND Republicans of that time passed those civil rights laws

Again if you know your history you would know that in the past there were moderate Republicans who would not even recognize the GOP of today

edit on 18-4-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: xuenchen
At least the "wealthy" are self sufficient and don't add to poverty.

Nor add much to the public coffers either.

Perhaps unique to the U.S., but....

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) just released its annual report on “The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes” analyzing data through 2011 on American household’s:

a) average “market income” (a comprehensive measure that includes labor income, business income, and income from capital gains),

b) average household transfer payments (payments and benefits from federal, state and local governments including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance),

and c) average federal taxes paid by households (including income, payroll, corporate, and excise taxes). Some of the key findings of the CBO analysis are displayed in the table above, with the data organized by household income quintiles. The data in the first five rows above appear in the CBO report (from Tables 1 and 4), and rows 6-8 above have been calculated separately based on data from the first four rows in the table.

New CBO study shows that ‘the rich’ don’t just pay their ‘fair share,’ they pay almost everybody’s share

Government failure continues. They can't even "re-distribute" effectively !!!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Then if you know your history ALL of those democrats moved to the GOP after Democrats AND Republicans of that time passed those civil rights laws

Again if you know your history you would know that in the past there were moderate Republicans who would today not even recognize the GOP of today

Can I repeat that I already mentioned "tides"?

You were the one who made it seem like Jim Crow was all the fault of Republicans not I?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

a reply to: beezzer

I think the point is that it IS a tax break....only for the wealthy.

It is a tax break.

And I am all for tax breaks,, simply because government doesn't spend wisely.

Are you working under the assumption that government spends wisely?

Never even implied it. The point is that it's a tax break for those that need it the least. Screw everyone else.

Ahh, sorry.

This is a class warfare thread.

Hate on those who have more. Let's take it and give it to government because government knows how to spend it better!

Yes indeed - let's screw the poor because we can, and it doesn't matter that we live in a society that ties us all together, and what affects some also affects others......I've got my blinkers on, and I don't care how little you pay people to work on the roads that I drive my gas guzzling polluter on .....etc

A-hole! :p

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Obama the Super Commie loves to promise things to people, like they are his to give in the first place, and living the American dream is fine for him, but no one else will get it if he has a say in the matter, that wouldn't work good when you want everyone poor and dependent completely upon government, (Just like Mama always told him).

He makes a lot of promises, never delivers, and then threatens to take them away by veto if someone looks like they might be having a brighter future with their own families money.

Always his talk of what he can get for someone, and then his actions do just the opposite yet again. He is such a stupid SOB.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Again if you know your history you would know that in the past there were moderate Republicans who would today not even recognize the GOP of today

Can I repeat that I already mentioned "tides"?

You were the one who made it seem like Jim Crow was all the fault of Republicans not I?

No, I said that TODAY’S GOP (NOT THE GOP OF ALL TIME THAT WOULD INCLUDE ABE LINCOLN)

The GOP where all of those Jim Crow democrats then moved over to the GOP.

FYI…It was called the southern strategy

en.wikipedia.org...

In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to a Republican Party strategy in the late 20th century of gaining political support for presidential candidates in the Southern United States by appealing to regional racial tensions and history of segregation.[1][2][page needed] The Democratic Party in the South defended slavery before the American Civil War. After regaining power in state governments in the 1870s, Democrats imposed white supremacy. At the end of the century, southern states passed new constitutions and laws making voter registration and voting more difficult, resulting in disenfranchising most blacks and many poor whites. The South became a one-party region, maintaining political exclusion of minorities well into the 1960s. The Solid South and its political power in Congress was achieved at the expense of African Americans. In the years after World War II, African Americans pressed for civil rights. White Southern Democrats gradually stopped supporting the national party following its adoption of the civil rights plank of the Democratic campaign in 1948 (against which the Dixiecrats formed), support for the African-American Civil Rights Movement, passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, and push for desegregation

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

a reply to: links234

Doesn't it eliminate taxing money twice? I mean, it's income, that has been taxed, then given to a survivor or relative after a persons death, then you want to tax it again, just because it was given to someone else.

YES - the framers of the constitution felt inherited weath would destroy the republic.

From the Economist:

www.economist.com...

If there was one thing the Revolutionary generation agreed on — and those guys who dress up like them at Tea Party conventions most definitely do not — it was the incompatibility of democracy and inherited wealth.

And Adam Smith was a topical reference of the time:

Jefferson cited Adam Smith, the hero of free market capitalists everywhere, as the source of his conviction that (as Smith wrote, and Jefferson closely echoed in his own words), "A power to dispose of estates for ever is manifestly absurd. The earth and the fulness of it belongs to every generation, and the preceding one can have no right to bind it up from posterity. Such extension of property is quite unnatural." Smith said: "There is no point more difficult to account for than the right we conceive men to have to dispose of their goods after death."

Our founders considered talking it even further:

Others wanted to go much further; Thomas Paine, like Smith and Jefferson, made much of the idea that landed property itself was an affront to the natural right of each generation to the usufruct of the earth, and proposed a "ground rent" — in fact an inheritance tax — on property at the time it is conveyed at death, with the money so collected to be distributed to all citizens at age 21, "as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property."

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Calling me an asshole because I refuse to participate in your class warfare meme is, sadly, what I've come to expect here.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
How is it screwing the poor when 70% of all federal income taxes is paid by those earning over $200,000 annually.

Taxpayers that earn less than $50,000 per year make up about 1/2 of the country, but only pay 5.6 percent of taxes and actually have a negative share of income taxes because they get more back from tax credit programs than they paid in.

Some people will not be happy until wealth is abolished and we are made to give the government everything we make and let them hand it out as they see fit.
edit on 18-4-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Sooo glad to hear about this repeal. I see absolutely nothing wrong with accumulation of generational wealth.

That is a very un-american position to take - just where did you pick it up? On TV perhaps.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I'd have an easier time paying any taxes and endorsing any type of tax if it were being used and accounted for.

But it isn't.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Aloysius great I agree totally with your points…
But Beezzer is NOT an ahole

He’s a good guy with a good heart JUST ON THIS ISSUE THERE IS A DISAGREEMENT

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join