It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professional hunter trampled to death by elephant he was hoping to slay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The guy that died was a guide to hold a professional hunters license in Zimbabwe the qualifications are the most stringent in the world. They are heavily regulated and monitored and they work to cull the herds of the undesirable and harmful ones.

It is stupid to celebrate a qualified guides death I can almost guarantee another guide took his place and the client still got his trophy kill. There are 70,000 elephants in Zimbabwe today which is twice of what the environment has capacity to support.

Without culling sickness and starvation would run rampant in dry seasons as well as inbreeding defects with specific herds. An abundance of male bulls is not good for a herd. That safari group charges about $1300 a day to hunters and that isn't even including the trophy fee it is about $300 a day for non-hunters.

I am not a hunter it isn't my thing, but I do understand their necessity in an unbalanced ecosystem and I would rather there were more experienced guides that know how to maintain a healthy ecosystem than there being inexperienced ones trying to make a quick buck that disregard it.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

They are heavily regulated and monitored and they work to cull the herds of the undesirable and harmful ones.

African elephants are endangered. Sorry, but I don't feel "culling" is necessary for a dwindling population of creatures.
AND, I don't feel sorry that the guy died.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
To those who are happy with his death you are all sick in the head.

I love all animals but I would never value them higher than a human.

Smh

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I love all animals but I would never value them higher than a human.

Humans are animals. And animals are people, if you care about them.

You "love" them? Ha.

Don't bother replying. I have no sympathy for this guy. People in general are a sickening bunch.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

They are heavily regulated and monitored and they work to cull the herds of the undesirable and harmful ones.

African elephants are endangered. Sorry, but I don't feel "culling" is necessary for a dwindling population of creatures.
AND, I don't feel sorry that the guy died.

Doesn't surprise me coming from someone who is for abortions.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Don't recall ever, ever stating my opinion about abortions.
Are humans an endangered species of animal?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

certain breeds and in areas they are endangered in Zimbabwe they are not. There are too many there for the ecosystem to support them.

70,000 and that area can only support about 35,000 for the herds and environment to stay healthy. Too many will eventually destroy that area to the point none could survive as well as driving many other species to the brink of extinction.

Have you ever seen what happens when a species overpopulates? A good example would be jack rabbit in Australia.

Without the sport hunting there and the money it brings in for the local then the locals will wipe out the elephants because they see them as a threat and destructive to their lives.
edit on 18-4-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

But why is it "man's" job to "cull" them?
Nature will take her course. If I had to choose between living with elephants/giraffes/horses/dogs/cats/whales et al... and living with humans, I know what I'd choose.

But never mind. I don't want to argue it. I don't feel bad for the guy.....or anyone who is killed by someone they were trying to kill.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Live amongst the elephants? Did you watch the video? Especially the part where the elephants destroy farming and kill villagers.

The natural way herds are culled is through starvation and disease.

The people living there are not going to leave their homes and without the hunting they will make sure the elephants go extinct. They will welcome back the poachers. Poaching has drastically dropped since that video and populations have increased that is in great part to legalized well guided safaris.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Live amongst the elephants? Did you watch the video? Especially the part where the elephants destroy farming and kill villagers.

The natural way herds are culled is through starvation and disease.

Yes. And so are human 'herds' culled that way.

And yes, I'd love to live amongst the elephants. One of my friends is an elephant. Her name is "Page."

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Lol go ahead and live with wild animals and see how long till they attack you.

Silly people.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Right now I live in a society of "domesticated" biped animals, many of whom supposedly want to kill me every day.

I know how to make friends with animals. Do you?

edit on 4/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Like I said I love animals I have 4 dogs 3 outdoor cats 3 hens 1 rooster and soon 2 goats I take care of them very well but would never put them higher than a human.

So yeah I think I know how to make friends with animals.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Okay then.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

There will come a time when human population becomes unsustainable and either disease or starvation will take its toll, but in Zimbabwe areas where there are more elephants than humans hunting is coexistence. If some people had their way and it was legally stopped there would be no coexistence.

The people that lived there for thousands of years will continue living there, but the elephants would probably disappear.

As I said I am not a hunter, it is something I lost all interest in after the military, but I do understand it's necessity and make no mistake that it is a necessity "if" people want that species in that area to continue to thrive.
edit on 18-4-2015 by Grimpachi because: erp

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

At least you know where you stand with the wild animals. Human animals will ingratiate themselves into your good graces, and then kill you- one way or another.

Still don't feel sorry for the guy. Only way this could be better is if that soldier chick was holding his head, in the manner of a trophy kill.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

in Zimbabwe areas where there are more elephants than humans hunting is coexistence.

I had to read this twice. At first I thought you were accusing elephants of hunting. Elephants don't "hunt" humans. They aren't carnivores. If it weren't for firearms, humans would NOT be at 'the top of the food chain', but elephants would also not be the hunters.

BUT, after I read it again I see what you mean.....where that happens, hunting is coexistence.
(and you were Not saying that there are more elephants hunting than there are humans hunting.)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Grimpachi,

I just started watching the vid. It's nearly 20 years old.
Are the stats you gave current?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Ookay, I got to 5:05, and then the guy starts saying the sale of ivory should be allowed again, that it's a good thing to kill them.

I can't watch anymore without being sick to my stomach.

How about this: The people can LEAVE THE AREA.
Perhaps the elephants might, too - but I don't think that an area as small as Zimbabwe is so special that it can't be left to the elephants and other African non-human species.

Other areas of elephant-free (human majority) zones have enough space for extra people....
and since when do Elephants acknowledge national borders???

Anyway, interesting. I just can't even hardly stand to watch human-against-nonhuman slaughtering for any reason.
Sorry.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

That made me laugh.

I am glad you re-read it because I certainly didn't mean elephants were hunting humans. lol

As far as firearms go, that doesn't put them at the top of the food chain. It does make it easier it also makes clean kills possible.

Our ancient ancestors hunted Mammoths with stone age tools and the Ancestors of the people there hunted elephants the same even devising snare and traps. Poachers still use snares. If you have a strong stomach do a photo search. Soon as Iron became available no animal toppled us on the food chain. So even if guns were not around they would still be hunted just in a more gruesome way.

Grimpachi,

I just started watching the vid. It's nearly 20 years old.
Are the stats you gave current?

I think when that video was made there were 50,000 now there are over 70,000.
edit on 18-4-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join