It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1-80 Wyoming Massive Car Pile Up

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: WhoDat09

A lot of truckers drive way to fast for conditions. I've been in snow storms on highways many of times with low visibility and these truckers pass you while cars are doing 10 mph. They throw up snow and slush and make visibility more treacherous for drivers. The trucks are barreling down the highway like battering rams. It seems like some of them think they're trucks are not prone to sliding in bad weather and can stop on a dime.

you can blame trucking companies and those they deliver to for a great deal of that. truckers are given schedules they must meet or get into trouble. it makes it even worse when companies they are delivering too (and Wal-mart is a big offender for this), "fine" companies for deliveries that are late. i used to hear drivers bitching all the time in the loading docks at wal-mart over how picky they were about fining deliveries that were even just a bit late even during snow storms where road conditions were extremely bad. this causes drivers to push the limits to get to their destinations on time.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

That's a bit inaccurate. Wal-Mart has usually a 2 hour window for deliveries with pre-made appointments. One can be up to one hour early or one hour late. If it is past that one hour, the receiving company has the option either to take the delivery anyway or reschedule the delivery.

To 'win' some contracts, trucking companies have resorted to guaranteeing on-time deliveries to the minute. otherwise the company receives a discount right up to 100% of the tariff.

Some trucking companies charge for delays getting loaded or unloaded, often in their contracts as well. In return those companies charge for late deliveries as well. Fair is fair.

Blaming the trucking companies or the customers for the above pile-up is not correct.

Ultimately it is the driver who has the final word on go, or no go. Safe or unsafe. No one else and be assured the companies will view it that way as well. pressure or no pressure.

edit on 18-4-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

It depends on the Walmart DC. I've been to some that give you an hour, and I've been to some that if you're 5 minutes late to the Traffic window checking in, you're late, and a work in and you're going to be there 5-6 hours or more.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watchfull
Its good to have a video of this pileup, but couldn't this guy have put down the camera, and try to warn the oncoming traffic of the pending disaster?

Lives could so easily have been lost there, but hey, it's a great Youtube vid.

Soooo.... Lemme get this straight. He is supposed to what...? Run out there by the highway close enough that they MIGHT see him but close enough to end up under one of those bastards if they don't. Heck, even if they do they can't slow down fast enough to avoid that mess. Not on those roads.

Tell ya what. If you see something like that then you go out there and try to "help" and try to warn oncoming traffic. Help keep stupid out of the gene pool.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I agree, I don't think the girl should have gotten any closer, not sure if it was a girl or a guy filming sounded like a few people were pulled over there towards the end.

I wouldn't have gotten closer. It looked like she was on the other side the interstate. Can't see anything coming at you, no way would I have tried to get closer.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

That's exactly what I was thinking while watching it. Why are they going so damn fast over snow with about zero visibility? Dumb people.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: generik

Some places have started ticketing for CB use.

I've heard that it was put in place to stop truckies waning others of speed traps. I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Soooo.... Lemme get this straight. He is supposed to what...? Run out there by the highway close enough that they MIGHT see him but close enough to end up under one of those bastards if they don't. Heck, even if they do they can't slow down fast enough to avoid that mess. Not on those roads.

No way, the main thing is you get it all on you tube with out so
much as a wave good bye to even one rig.

I couldn't just stand there and watch people go to their
potential death.
edit on Ram41915v532015u10 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I remember the whiteouts in Wyoming, at times you can't see anything at all a few feet ahead on the road. The whiteouts can get you unawares and once you are in one you better watch out.

I wasn't a trucker, but did have to drive around a lot.
edit on 19-4-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

OMG! Why is some retard standing there with a camera filming it rather than going up the road and trying to warn/slow the traffic?!? WTF is wrong people these days?!?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It's looks like visibility was pretty good, who over was
recording seemed a good distance away and could clearly
see the traffic, it's like these drivers couldn't really see,
was the sun possibly in their eyes, or snow blinded,
this was one of the most terrific pile ups I've ever seen.

These people watching this from a distance, must have
been beyond themselves.

Nice post,
Please don't drive on the highway in conditions like that.

Wow, I was nervous just watching and hearing crashes, and
seeing more trucks coming.

One person smartly had their SUV on the side of the road,
and he then tries to drive right into the pileup, like
he could get through and not risk his own life, sigh.

Rebel 5

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

This last February I was driving, with my family, from Michigan to Ohio, in a snow storm, so the roads where really bad ( snow and ice covered) and it was hard to see. I was using the center lane and driving a safe speed of about 35 to 40 mph (speed limit 70), which is basically the law and common sense during bad weather.

The center lane was the only one that was fairly cleared compared to the rest of the lanes. A trucker came up behind us and was right on our bumper, then he then started blowing his horn because we weren't going fast enough. Granted the left and right lanes were open, but snow covered. I held my lane and speed and eventually he passed us up blowing his horn and cussing at us doing 60 mph +.

About a half an hour later he was the cause of a pile up and a lot of people getting hurt.

The moral of the story is drive a safe speed during bad weather conditions and/or don't drive at all.

edit on 19-4-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

14 years ago was the last time I was out there. I'm sure things have changed some. "Supertrucker" applies to old and new drivers. The thing that used to piss me off was when a truck would blow by me because he was in such a hurry, and then have to sit for an hour in traffic at a standstill 10 miles up the road while the wreckers picked up his "hot load" from the pavement or dragged it out of the ditch.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That was crazy. I would feel so helpless sitting there watching it all unfold. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22
That's what I thought at first too. But I have knows some of them, most of them are literally on the time table and half asleep, some of them, if not all, dont even stop to take a piss break and literally just piss in a bottle while driving state to state.

But ya! That video. WOW! Even half asleep, and even in that snowy condition, its hard not to see that coming and slow the funk down a bit. Its like watching cattle run into a wall by following the others in front of them. I wonder what they were thinking? They must have seen it coming, its kind of hard not to see that.

Probably thinking "Oh look at those poor suckers, now watch me slide on by and gone, I will be the only guy to make it to the other side not like these other poor suckers" .... Didn't work like they thought it would now did it.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: Watchfull
Its good to have a video of this pileup, but couldn't this guy have put down the camera, and try to warn the oncoming traffic of the pending disaster?

Lives could so easily have been lost there, but hey, it's a great Youtube vid.

Tell ya what. If you see something like that then you go out there and try to "help" and try to warn oncoming traffic. Help keep stupid out of the gene pool.

I HAVE been involved in something like this and DID go down the road and start flagging early,

Go as far as you can, do something, it is better than sitting there filming like some lost idiot.

The stupid genes involved lie with you.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
And it's closed again. Fog caused a jacknife accident this morning that led to a chain reaction that involved multiple vehicle fires, including 22,000 gallons of Butyl Cellosolve. At least one fatality, and police think they may find more bodies as they pull vehicles apart. At least 50 vehicles, mostly trucks were involved.
edit on 4/20/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

It's gotten bad enough that when I talked to my DM yesterday he said he's doing his best to keep all his trucks out of the area for the next week or so.

The WyDOT is sending tankers full of diesel out to the trucks that are stuck, to make sure they don't run out of fuel, because they are stilll seeing cold temperatures, and they need to idle to stay warm.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join