It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Reveal Supermassive Black Hole's Intense Magnetic Field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

This artist's impression shows the surroundings of a supermassive black hole, typical of that found at the heart of many galaxies. The black hole itself is surrounded by a brilliant accretion disc of very hot, infalling material and, further out, a dusty torus. There are also often high-speed jets of material ejected at the black hole's poles that can extend huge distances into space. Credit: ESO/L. Calçada

A team of five astronomers from Chalmers University of Technology have revealed an extremely powerful magnetic field, beyond anything previously detected in the core of a galaxy, very close to the event horizon of a supermassive black hole. This new observation helps astronomers to understand the structure and formation of these massive inhabitants of the centres of galaxies, and the twin high-speed jets of plasma they frequently eject from their poles.

We have found clear signals of polarisation rotation that are hundreds of times higher than the highest ever found in the Universe," says Sebastien Muller, co-author of the paper. "Our discovery is a giant leap in terms of observing frequency, thanks to the use of Alma, and in terms of distance to the black hole where the magnetic field has been probed—of the order of only a few light-days from the event horizon. These results, and future studies, will help us understand what is really going on in the immediate vicinity of supermassive black holes."

Well this is indeed a Leap forward for the science of black hole Observation !
I am curious to see what other supermassive black holes are out their and what mystery they are waiting to tell us !

Feel free to read exactly how they were able to detect the polarization rotation HERE

Enjoy

Kap
edit on 17-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

"Very close to the event horizon of a supermassive black hole." Why does that sound like a very bad, bad thing?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

I don't know why it would..

We're tens of thousands of light years away.. What bothers you?
edit on 18-4-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Its totally irrelevant but whenever I think of a black hole, I remember the film of that name and when watching it I was struck by the similarity of the black hole and the waste disposal unit in the sink. It sucks it in, totally reduces it by centrifugal force to then spew what's left out into the plumbing and back into the eco system.

I am also very wary of getting my fingers or implements into the damn thing when its working.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

"Very close to the event horizon of a supermassive black hole." Why does that sound like a very bad, bad thing?

You could remain in orbit outside the event Horizon of a black hole forever without being sucked it. Of course, as the black hole gets more massive, the event horizon diameter expands; however, that happens very very slowly, maybe even over millions or billions of years, if the black hole has already consumed the stuff around it.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Everything in the universe works on what we call magnetism, from the macro to the micro.
Gravity doesn't exist, it's just a misinterpretation of magnetism.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
Everything in the universe works on what we call magnetism, from the macro to the micro.

Gravity equals time. Magnetism may be a time related phenomena as well. Those are my crazy theories.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Not crazy at all.
Try to add motion to it, now what's time again?

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Hehe that's a really good joke!

You comedian?

The Four Forces of the Universe

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

We already know that black holes carry electric charges, so I am not surprised by the discovery that they also have a magnetic component. Still, fascinating nonetheless, so Star and Flag for you mate!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

No.
Try reading Whittaker, Larson or even Russel instead of watching game of thrones or wherever that gif is from.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

No.
Try reading Whittaker, Larson or even Russel instead of watching game of thrones or wherever that gif is from.

I can't speak for swanne, but "knowing" him from this board I'd say the point of that GIF was just to indicate "slight amusement" through an internet meme. Nothing else.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

If gravity is not real and just a by-product of magnetism, then where do the two magnetic poles fall into place when we perceive magnetism as gravity?

A simplified illustration of my question is that a dropped ball always seems attracted to the Earth, regardless of which "pole" of the ball is pointed at the Earth.

edit on 4/18/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

The world would be a really boring place without humor.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

No.

Okay, now it makes it all fine... So your knowledge came from a dude who still believed in the Aether! Duly noted...

All right! Now time for actual science.

If gravitational force truly is nothing but magnetism, then how come...

-magnets don't attract a piece of wood? After all, if magnetism = gravity, then magnets should behave as artificial gravity devices, and should attract everything which has mass, not just metal.

-how come neutral particles with no magnetic charge, such as neutrons, are nonetheless heavily massive?

-how come a loop of wire rotating in a gravitational field gives no electric current?

-how come metal show no magical growth in mass (increase in graviational attractive power) after magnetization?

Things like that.

And the gif is Thranduil, from Lord of the Ring. He is laughing because he heard the poorly-thought proposition that gravity is caused by magnetism!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Why would i waste my time answering your questions if you live in a fantasy world and call QM real science?
Go back and crawl in your black hole of DM and DE.

I never sad anything to offend you, but hey that's what you get. Good luck getting out.

I really don't care what that gif is, only that it fits your believe very well.
edit on 19-4-2015 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Black holes are not a one way system ... they take in and also give out

It is my belief that the energy or power they consume is refined and given back out as part of an ongoing and natural process that makes life possible

They are a gateway to that which we do not fully understand ... A gateway between dimensions

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I totally support you!
I have had that theory for years now also and I have partially figured out how this can work for all the planets and the galaxies (and the different materials like plastic or whatever), it all kinda makes sense. Also electricity is just magnetic forces, little magnets (electrons) moving around, hence an electromagnetic wave should just be called a magnetic wave if you ask me. And the way I view the "aether" is that it is like a sea of magnetic potential, it acts like a "fluid" for magnetic waves to move through it, but it doesn't consist of anything.

Matter might just be some sort of magnetic bubbles, hence matter and "energy" can be converted into each other. Also bubbles have different longevity (half life?) and can burst violently when burst... I have to think a bit more about that one though, actually I want to program a simulator to test different theories to see if I can figure it out.

The answer to how general physics works doesn't necessarily need to be very advanced, it could be simple physics which when combined allows for much more advanced physics. To prove this I urge people to look up "logic gates" which consists of just ONE type of parts! The transistor! The transistor is a simple to understand part and by using a LOT of them you can make CPU's and do almost anything! Do you understand your CPU? No. But you can easily understand the transistor!

Check this out:

edit on -05:00amSun, 19 Apr 2015 07:22:41 -0500am42015Sun, 19 Apr 2015 07:22:41 -050004amSunday by ParanormalGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

So you refuse to answer my questions.

Hm. You seem so sure about your position on magnetism. Yet the minute I point out major logical flaws, you claim you cannot "waste time answering them". Are you sure my questions did not upset your beliefs?

I don't really care either way. I just wanted to expand your mind a little, you take it or you leave it.

Have a nice day!

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

expand my mind by asking those questions? These are the pure basics, if you can't get those right why make such claims in the first place.
Don't worry i don't get upset that fast about what other people think.

'You don't really care anyway'
why asking those questions in the first place? If you don't really care what you get out of it.

top topics

join