It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bunnies versus Pandas: EPIC story of good vs evil, kinda

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hello again ATS, it's been a while since I've posted some art. This means I have a TON new work, but so many directions that I will trickle out each series one thread at a time.

I paint in oils on canvas mainly, since 1990. I have a huge passion for art, but I am not an academic; I'm a prolific self-taught outsider.

How the Bunny vs Panda story started
It was about 8 years ago on a rainy weekend and I was watching 7th Samurai for the first time, and was getting ideas ready to paint, but they felt forced until after I finished the movie. At which point I was intensely motivated to paint a very violent image, but with a serious power and message. I had a roughly started LARGE canvas that wasn't working for me (a vertically aligned car with hood open and woman being berated by a crooked mechanic). Well I turned it sideways and started just painting.. what turned out to be a very intense rabbit samurai, with the yeilding sword stance. It progressed naturally that he needed to fight an evil element, which turned into a ninja panda. The gloves were off and the next 3 days straight I obsessed over the creation, until it was epic.

I had no intentions of creating a series from it, it was an experiment. But the experiment went so well I started painting more, and more. I started to realize I was painting a story of good vs. evil, but a greyer one, one a Taoist would understand.

I have taken a break for the past 2 years after creating about 18 of them, and finally started finding shows for them just recently. They have been VERY well received even without storyline provided. But lately after talking to some successful artist friends, I realized fine art that tells interesting stories is in high demand, and could possibly grow into things like graphic novels, animations, books, products etc. So I halted selling the originals, and now have prints available. Also I am working on a simple storyline for each piece to help complete the story in full as it develops which I will include here with the images. I hope you enjoy, and I really appreciate all feedback, criticism, comments and ideas for further images.

The Story of the Bunnies vs Pandas

The beginning and possibly the end of this story. The Bunnies and Pandas are meant to coexist and work through their differences, and through peaceful union they are allowed the miracle of knowledge and creation.

The Bunnies have a very spiritual nature, and at times have blind faith in what they cannot explain. They can also be very violent when things challenge their belief system. (the golden calf and flying cow are purely intentional).

The Pandas actively seek answers outside of their world, they make observations and postulate theories. They tend to have a rigid, scientific method.

The Bunnies practice organized labor with fair benefits. They work well in social groups when tasks are well distributed.

The Pandas, unlike the Bunnies, put efforts into scientific studies. They research ways to both help and hinder societal structures. They are invested heavily in manipulation.

The Bunnies, being highly spiritual and intuitive, have a huge compassion for infants and newborns. They overlook their differences when it comes to their enemies and safely look after all lifeforms.

The Pandas rule with an iron fist, and make their citizens serve a labor tax based on their social and economic status. Labor is looked upon as a lower class action.

Being less spiritual, the Pandas pass judgement easily, and have little tolerance for differences from the norm. They can say things that hurt others, and usually intentionally.

The Bunnies are masters of oldworld crafts, and are highly skilled. They are also naive and can be bargained with, and supply the Pandas with superior weaponry.

The Bunnies and Pandas have different views about sex. Due to pressure and through secret agreements the Bunnies cater to the Pandas in secret.

The Pandas, through ingenuity and industrial means, acquired much wealth and devised a way to retain this wealth by lending money at interest to the Bunnies with a proprietary currency, keeping them in debt.

The bunnies are intensely spiritual, but the majority choose to be part of large congregations that worship together and share the sparse resources. There are rumors that the priesthood may be corrupt.

The pandas are highly methodical, and have a system for researching patterns and numbers. They have a very organized system of schooling their young, but their schools do no allow bunnies.

edit on 17-4-2015 by Aliquandro because: sorry always gotta relearn how to post images correctly

edit on 17-4-2015 by Aliquandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

The bunnies are very poor, and many of their society lives off the generosity of others, including their decorated war veterans.

Despite popular belief of bunny/panda policy and morals, at the highest levels the elite bunnies and pandas arrange the land ownership and policies. This undermines the belief structures that both bunnies and pandas are taught.

The Bunnies have little wealth. But, despite their faith, some in their ranks resort to stealing from the prosperous Pandas, even during their time of meditation.

Not all Pandas think alike, and there some that exist for the better of all of society and can rationally justify it. Many are involved in the protection of the persecuted, and offer safe haven to their supposed enemies.

The Pandas are well trained in martial arts, and have large groups of well trained soldiers to deal with their adversaries

After coexisting peacefully for eons, the Bunnies and Pandas eventually clash over spiritual and moral differences. They actively protest each others beliefs.

The Bunnies practice the way of the samurai, using blades and advanced weapons. They are noble and find it honorable to die in battle.

The Pandas fight using stealth, and mostly hand to hand combat, and occasionally weaponry. They practice ninja techniques and have no honor in battle.

At the height of their conflict, the Pandas and Bunnies war with each other nonstop, and both suffer massive casualties. There appears to be no hope for their salvation...

This is all I have finished and photographed at the moment. I have already started on the following: Panda royalty, Bunny artist, Panda benefactor, Bunny soothsayer, Panda explorer ship, Bunny storyteller, and finally a Panda scribe. I have plans to add darker and lighter elements to both sides.

Thanks for taking a look!

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Wonderful artwork and character development! Would love to see more when you get around to it!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Pure genius my friend! Not a children's story (at least not from most publisher's viewpoint) as things get a tad graphic, shall I say? I wondered upon seeing the lone rabbit sitting on the floor with crumbs around him - was he feeding the rats?
Life is usually more than a pair of polarities, there may be yin and yang yet there is a circle that surrounds both and further still there is all that surrounds that circle.
Nice departure from your abstracts and I'm glad to hear of your success, it's richly deserved. Be glad you didn't attend school, it would have altered and polluted your vision. It is the harder road but the more rewarding one.

Thanks for sharing something truly special with us.

Cheers,
ATA

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

I absolutely loved these, can't state that enough.

Have you considered writing a narrative to go with the pics, or maybe finding someone who would?

Just an idea

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Very well done!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

I absolutely loved these, can't state that enough.

Have you considered writing a narrative to go with the pics, or maybe finding someone who would?

Just an idea

Thank you Skalla! Yes I am planning on making this a graphic novel at some point, so the storyline above is just a rough draft as I hash out more details and invent their history. I'm not the best writer, but I think I will find some help for this task soon.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Not a children's story (at least not from most publisher's viewpoint) as things get a tad graphic, shall I say? I wondered upon seeing the lone rabbit sitting on the floor with crumbs around him - was he feeding the rats?
Life is usually more than a pair of polarities, there may be yin and yang yet there is a circle that surrounds both and further still there is all that surrounds that circle.
ATA

I agree this is too graphic for a children's book. I'm still tempted though! At the moment I have this series scheduled for back to back shows this summer at 2 different really busy and popular college coffeeshops, so it's why I'm working on the stories now and getting many framed and made into prints as finances allow. They were a huge success at their first showing at another super busy cafe across from a movie megaplex. Without stories posted, the customers were dying to know what the story behind them was.

I never thought of "the General" as feeding the rats (I'm titling it that since this is a retired disabled veteran). I have yet to really introduce any animals at all besides the bunnies and pandas, but rats might be appropriate, and maybe some crows.

I really love your analogy of the yin yang containing more than just the two poles, it is all encompassing... and I truly want to make this story fit that description. So many facets beyond just dark and light.

Thank you for your insight and contributions, they are always welcomed!

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Wonderful artwork and character development! Would love to see more when you get around to it!

I am thankful you enjoy them, they are my babies! I've poured my heart and soul into them to bring them as much to life as possible. I would love nothing more than for them to come alive, sprout legs, and march off into the world entertaining others.

I will be sure to update this thread with all new Bunny vs. Panda work

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Your works might well be the single most thought-provoking and entertaining thing I've ever read here at ATS. Well done! I love the parallels to our own world, and your artwork is incredible. I like it quite a bit that most of the scenes depicted are from a God's-eye-view.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Not that I am making direct comparisons, of course, but the nontraditional and the graphic can speak volumes where other forms of media might not necessarily have the same impact, for instance, Maus.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

Your works might well be the single most thought-provoking and entertaining thing I've ever read here at ATS. Well done! I love the parallels to our own world, and your artwork is incredible. I like it quite a bit that most of the scenes depicted are from a God's-eye-view.

Thank you SO much for these amazingly kind words! I started the whole things as just having fun creating cool images, it turned into the story it is, and I am thankful for your response. I did intend it to parallel the problems of humanity, but lately I've been working on some new images that suggest SOLUTIONS to some problems. Like I have an idea to paint the Bunnies having a barter market to circumvent the Panda's oppressive debt slavery system with fiat currency. I was thinking of having some "Panda dollars" printed as a promo handout for the next time I show these. I have a few more that may have potential.

It is one of the many styles and series I am currently working on, but easily my favorite and most influential so far.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jessme2
Not that I am making direct comparisons, of course, but the nontraditional and the graphic can speak volumes where other forms of media might not necessarily have the same impact, for instance, Maus.

I read Maus a long time back and was really impressed with the ability it had to tell such a stark tale using an illustrative style.

I was also equally impressed with Bill Sienkiewicz's series, Stray Toasters, super dark but the images tell more of the story than the words actually do. Such an amazing talent!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Great Art .. love it.. It has that kungfu panda Tarantino martial arts style of childrensbook init..

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
When are you going to post new work? Are you on devianart?

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
When are you going to post new work? Are you on devianart?

Thanks for the reminder! I think I have at least 5-6 new pieces for this series now and will get some images soon.

I've shown them 3 times since this posting and they are always well received, but it is the one series I am not selling originals yet, but have tons of prints of various pieces when the venue is right. The story and layout looks great in university coffeeshops and funky large cafes. I also showed them at an open house for a condo, here's a few images:

And I do have a deviant account: Deviant
edit on 15-5-2016 by Aliquandro because: image link dumbness

edit on 15-5-2016 by Aliquandro because: still dumb

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hey that is very awesome and that looks very good in them shops, I hope one day I can do the same thing and have a rack at a comic book shop. Your work is awesome man and thank you for sharing!!!

I am now watching you on DA I am Dravdark there.
edit on 15-5-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join