It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Poll: Rumsfeld losing public's support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should resign, according to 52% of respondents to a new CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll. Criticism over his handling of the war in Iraq has increased over the last few months. At the height of the invasion, in April 2003, 71% supported Rumsfeld, in the new poll only 41% does. Meanwhile new jail abuse allegations have emerged of serious mistreatment of both Iraqi and prisoners and detainees at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Fifty-two percent of respondents to a new poll think Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should resign amid recent criticism in Congress over his handling of the war in Iraq.

Thirty-six percent of respondents to the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll said Rumsfeld should not step down, and the remainder had no opinion. The margin of error for the question was 4.5 percentage points among the 1,002 Americans surveyed by telephone between Friday and Sunday.

The defense secretary was recently chided for telling U.S. soldiers headed for Iraq that "you go to war with the Army you have ... not the Army you might want or wish you had."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just by looking at last weekend's bombings in Iraq, which killed almost 70 people, it is not surprising more and more people criticize Mr. Rumsfeld. It would surprise me if he stays in office until the next elections in 2008. We'll see...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
American public are starting to wake up and smell a bit of coffee. . . . . This man is a liability to your country, the lives of your soldiers, and the lives of Iraq and whatever country is next on the neoconts list. Heckle him out of power while you can! And the rest!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
While Bush at least has some ideologic tendencies, Rummy always was just in it it for the momey, been historically an excellent weapons salesman, but doesn't really care who will die by them, whether does are arabs, kurds, or even american soldiers. His arrogance looked cool just after 9/11 because he was gonna smoke out OBL personally, didn't happen, what did happen, he used the wars as vehicle to place new orders from his bussiness associates.

Smell the coffee indeed!

Cheney also is a typical moneyman, but he is not such a prick to hang around with. Down with the Rumster!

[edit on 21-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ok, forgive the hijacking of this christian phrase... but i feel it is appropriate.

Shrub needs to cut off his right hand, because it will condemn the whole of the person, if he doesn't.
there Shrub! words of god that cannot be mis-interpreted. Your god given mission is clear... get rid of Rumsfeld... it will improve your chances of salvation...
(yeah, right!)

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think that Bush should have removed Rumsfeld long ago. Maybe if Rumsfeld is forced to resign things will start getting better, or at least maybe moral will get better. It is obvious that this was a very poorly planned war. It is terrible to think that our troops have to scour dumps for scrap metal to armor thier vehicles with to protect themselves. Certainly the American people have given enough tax money in the financing of this war to pay for the proper equipment to protect our military. It is about time that the American people are waking up to what is really going on. Sad it has taken this long, though.

It will be interesting to see just how far up the ladder the ordering of the torture of the Iraqi prisoners really goes. My questions are: Did Rumsfeld know about the torture and abuse? Did he condone it? Did he order it, possibly? Maybe time will tell...maybe not but I doubt that he will stay in office until 2008.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know." Donald Rumsfeld to 9/11 commission.

Was knowledge of the prisoner abuse one his "known unknowns"?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Just watched a newsclip of Bush saying that Rummie is actually "...a caring fellow..". Looks like he not going anywhere.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well, what do you expect, he is losing support from some of his fellow republicans too.

And as for the people support, well kind of to late in the ball game, for them opening their eyes now.

Rusmfeld will not step down, he will take the criticism like a martyr, he has to much invested to step down now.

Remember he and Cheney runs the show in Iraq after all.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I wasn't aware he EVER had our support...go figure....

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Actually since the scandal, his popularity among the troops when down also, most soldiers do not support him also.

I think the heat is on and many really wants him out.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
For individuals who view the idea of growing divide between the US and the EU as something positive, Rumsfeld is their man.

If so, who would profit from it?

cynics would say that Rumsfeld is on the Chinese payroll

in any case Rumsfeld is staying, so everyone better get used to it.
(in fact i knew he would stay even before the elections)

Keep up the good work Rummy!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh, I agree that he will not go anywhere that is true, can you imagine, where will he go?

To China?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well if he ever goes to China, i suspect Kaifeng will be the place!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Rumsfled has demonstrated a complete lack off accountability. He sort of lives in that rarified air of supreme chain of command and just doesn't accept any critique of anything. I think the intelligence failure is partially his fault, at least. And there were multiple others.

He must go.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tartessian
Well if he ever goes to China, i suspect Kaifeng will be the place!

en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting, I forgot he is jewish, well I guess Kaifeng it will be.
At least he could be with his own.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well, since Bush has now publicly taken a stand with his continued support for him, it is either BOTH go or, till the next large fiasco which can be personally pinned on him.....

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I suppose he ever had any, right?

He's right up there with Cheney and the other Gods.

new topics

top topics

join