It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unitarian Universalist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm going to give a UU church a shot this Sunday. I am a Christian but have been dissatisfied with other church traditions in our area, so I decided to see what this one was all about.

Has anyone ever been to a UU church? What was your experience? Is there anything I should know?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
They tend to believe that Christ was just a man, a great teacher. No divinity. I'm not even sure they think of him as a prophet.

Now, that may float your boat, but IMO it sort of invalidates the purpose of Christianity.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
They tend to believe that Christ was just a man, a great teacher. No divinity. I'm not even sure they think of him as a prophet.

Now, that may float your boat, but IMO it sort of invalidates the purpose of Christianity.

Spoil sport.

edit on 17-4-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Just watch this and save the trip....

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Kind of like Devil worship...

Only no Devil.

Sleep in.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: mavra81

The name is pretty apt. It's nondenominational to the extreme. They place a high value in an individual's relationship with the divine and teaches with with a Christian theme. People I've met who are members have ranged from devout Christians to pagans.

As far as Christian organizations go, they are a prime example of one that will survive through the next few decades while the rest collapse in black holes of intolerance and feigned indignation. I think the Episcopalians are one of the few other ones that will escape that black hole.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I"ve known a number of folks who have frequented that church. They were kind people who to me seemed to feel the tug of the Christian spirit but not the Christian dogma.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mavra81
I'm going to give a UU church a shot this Sunday. I am a Christian but have been dissatisfied with other church traditions in our area, so I decided to see what this one was all about.

Has anyone ever been to a UU church? What was your experience? Is there anything I should know?

From what I know of them, the aren't mainline Christianity anymore by any means.

They would be more "spiritual."

At a couple in California, the calendar seemed to have people from all kinds of religions speaking, such as a Buddhist monk one week, maybe a yogi another.

I personally like this.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Kind of like Devil worship...

Only no Devil.

edit on 17-4-2015 by Cuervo because: Kind of like a response post... only no post.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I hope you are open minded? Because UU churches often accept pagan memberships too.Hold pagan rituals, to promote universalism etc As a pagan, UU is well too universalist for my hard polytheist self. BUT they are nice people, so more power to em.
edit on 17-4-2015 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm pagan and a Nazarene Church accepts me. I mean I'm not a member or anything, but they won't disallow me service. I'm not banned or forced to convert while I am there for whatever occasion. Of course, it is my husband's family church - maybe they have to let me in!

Nazarene is a strict denomination. A nice church to sit in and be alone, is a Catholic one down the road from me. I don't burst into flames because I'm pagan when I enter; and no one chases me from the pews with broomstick telling me to fly away either.

I've never been to a Universal Unitarian church. There isn't really one near me to try either.

CdT
edit on 18-4-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Why not? They have a great, accepting theme going. I agree with Cuervo - they are the ones likely to survive. I was raised an Episcopalian, but if I were to choose ANY religion offered in America, it would be the UUs.

The Ekklesia Gnostica also accepts all comers from all traditions....
but there aren't as many of them as there are UUs.

I think people coming together in the name of peace is what is needed now. And forever.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I used to attend a UU church for about 3 years. And I agree with Cuervo, too. The UU church isn't about dogma or strict "rules". There are people there from Christian to Pagan. They're very open-minded and accepting of various beliefs. It's more about finding your own way in your spiritual relationship with whomever or whatever you believe.

It's not true that they believe this or that. They have no creed or specific theology, but all are welcome. They're just supportive of each person's journey and have WONDERFUL messages about love, respect and being the best person you can be. I always felt fantastic coming out of there... So full of love.

If I were to attend a church today, it would be UU. I was raised strict Christian and the biggest difference is that in the Christian church, we were told what to think and believe. In the UU church, we were encouraged and supported in our own search for spirituality and a spiritual connection.

I'd try it a few times to see what you think. Good luck to you!

Just read over a few responses... LOL! We NEVER had a Pagan ritual and never even talked about Satan! It's not about ritual or fear. It's about love and understanding.
edit on 4/18/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You christians are hilarious!! Lol

Devil worship and paganism... Try not judge too much...

Unitarianism means a unity between the Father and Jesus... Meaning non trinitarian... Thats about it

Which in fact is a hell of a lot closer to what Jesus actually taught...

Seriously... Some of you guys are a joke

Geez

top topics

join