It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Your Child's Teacher Brainwash Them?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
OK...this is a fairly simple set of questions and opinions. A teacher is supposed to teach children facts. Math, reading, writing, history, etc. And the vast majority of teachers (from what I have experienced and read) are left leaning, politically. I find that my own daughters being presented with liberal opinions by their teachers and sometimes anti-right propaganda.

I have read about and have personally seen enough to know that liberal teachers like to express, and sometimes force their opinions upon their students. Maybe right-wing teachers do the same, but they are in the vast minority. Maybe giving a "B" for a right leaning essay and an "A" for a left leaning essay...for example. It makes me wonder that with the state of the USA government and the right/left fighting that the left (which includes most teacher's unions) could be having a field-day raising our children to believe that left leaning views are correct and right leaning views are wrong.

One example. My younger daughter asked me the difference between Republicans and Democrats. I was as fair as I could be...being right leaning myself. She commented that her teacher (among other comments) said "Republicans like starting wars". My understanding is quite the opposite.

I would like to propose the following for consideration. A law that states simply that teachers must teach proven facts only, and not opinions. Teach from a book...test upon facts and keep your personal opinions to yourself. I think it is a completely fair idea that doesn't harm or hinder anyone, it may even (in some cases: Religion) support the left side of politics. What does ATS think about this idea?

I live in a very liberal area where the schools love teaching whatever the liberal cause du jour happens to be... global warming, timmy has two daddies, diversity this, racism that, etc. It doesn't really bother me as I expect public schools to be fairly liberal. I just believe a parent that I will be supplementing my child's education at home and teach them how to think critically, logically, and to ask questions to develop their own opinions on a subject.

The problem with legislating that teachers can only teach "facts" is that the facts depend on the who is writing the book. What bothers me more than anything though is that I feel like liberals never want to examine alternative view points. For example, in my community they are always holding discussions about racism or other liberal topics. Yet, if someone proposed holding a discussion centered around an opposing viewpoint, the entire community would flip out and try to shut it down.... I recall a local coffee shop hosted a anti-gay marriage guy a few years ago for a discussion and you would have thought they invited Hitler to speak.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
There are other options besides public schools. Home schooling for instance.

There are ... if you can afford them. For a lot of parents, they are more or less stuck with what the public school offers.

Even homeschooling represents a significant investment when you factor in time and income lost.

And honestly, in a country that brags about offering a free education, a parent should feel good that their kid could receive the solid nuts and bolts without having to worry about all the baggage that might come with those. I'm afraid these days that the baggage is replacing the nuts and bolts as more important. For example, teach the birds and bees and basic contraceptive and disease and pregnancy facts, but why do we need to be teaching sexual positions and how to enjoy yourself and all that other social engineering stuff along with it? Whether or not I can name missionary, doggy or pile driver has nothing to do with keeping me from getting pregnant which is what sex ed should be for.

And Science ... I don't remember my Chemistry class turning into an anti-Nuclear screed which is something like turning Physical Science into a Climate Change screed. We may have discussed some of the basic principles behind how or why nukes worked, but the teacher never ventured an opinion or got any further into things than that. Why should phys. science be any different? And yet our kids come home terrified that the polar bears are drowning because their teachers keep showing them that fake photo and telling them it's true.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I teach. Here in the UK, the national curriculum is set by the government, the courses set by approved bodies and these are filtered to education establishments. The ethos of the teaching is set by the government, so for example, the national grades for numeracy and literacy are below standard when compared to the rest of the developed world so the government has made it standard for numeracy and literacy to be included in EVERY lesson, regardless of the subject, it has to be embedded. Such things as 'left leaning' might be construed due to policies of 'every child matters' and inclusion, where the teacher has to allow for differentiation. There has also been something of an eco humanist aspect instilled, think Gestalt humanism, so essentially there is a lot of student led activity and political/ecological ideology thrown into that.

Teaching / Tutoring /Lecturing is monitored and graded by OFSTED, to check all these things are in place, and there is a lot more than just that, the lesson also has to be 'engaging' and 'zingy', essentially placing teachers in the role of entertainer /educator/ policy keeper/ sociologist/ psychologist etc.
edit on 17-4-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

originally posted by: amazing
I see what your saying, but I'd be more upset if my sons were being brainwashed with right wing ideas.

I'm not sure the teacher was really wrong when she said republicans started more wars...especially in recent times. Iraq, Afghanistan and who wants us to start a war with Iran, right now? The republicans.

This is a perfect example, you two can't agree on this historic political issue. How can a school make you both happy?

By not teaching about parties at all.

I learned about the wars and who was president when this or that action was taken. No attention was paid to which party this or that president was from. So, while I was taught that Wilson got us into WWI, FDR got us into WWII, and Truman started our long involvement with Vietnam and got us into Korea, no one likewise said anything about their party affiliation. It's only now that I put that trend together.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Of course teachers are brainwashing our children. They teach them to obey, to conform, to not ask too many questions, to be quiet. They help prepare the next generation of societal drones, educated enough to be a good little cog in the machine, but not intrepid enough to challenge the system.

Sure, some teachers might also be trying to indoctrinate children with their own political brand, but my guess is the majority of them aren't doing anything of that nature intentionally. When you spend that much time with a person on a daily basis (6-8 hours) you tend to pick up on their beliefs on a wide range of topics even if it is via an offhand comment here or there. It's pretty natural really.

Someday when my son or daughter get to the point where they want to know what the difference is between Democrats and Republicans my answer will be rather simple. There isn't a difference. The packaging may be different, but it's the same maggot cereal inside. Nothing but two groups of people backed by the same corporations who happily keep the American people divided and bickering amongst themselves so that they can continue to do whatever they damn well please. Asking anyone about the difference or their opinion between the two parties is like asking someone, "Which do you prefer, ascending bowel cancer or pancreatic cancer?"

With all of that said, my daughter's third grade teacher is an obnoxious hipster.
edit on 17-4-2015 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2015 by Osiris1953 because: typing gremlins

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

OK...this is a fairly simple set of questions and opinions. A teacher is supposed to teach children facts. Math, reading, writing, history, etc. And the vast majority of teachers (from what I have experienced and read) are left leaning, politically. I find that my own daughters being presented with liberal opinions by their teachers and sometimes anti-right propaganda.

I have read about and have personally seen enough to know that liberal teachers like to express, and sometimes force their opinions upon their students. Maybe right-wing teachers do the same, but they are in the vast minority. Maybe giving a "B" for a right leaning essay and an "A" for a left leaning essay...for example. It makes me wonder that with the state of the USA government and the right/left fighting that the left (which includes most teacher's unions) could be having a field-day raising our children to believe that left leaning views are correct and right leaning views are wrong.

One example. My younger daughter asked me the difference between Republicans and Democrats. I was as fair as I could be...being right leaning myself. She commented that her teacher (among other comments) said "Republicans like starting wars". My understanding is quite the opposite.

I would like to propose the following for consideration. A law that states simply that teachers must teach proven facts only, and not opinions. Teach from a book...test upon facts and keep your personal opinions to yourself. I think it is a completely fair idea that doesn't harm or hinder anyone, it may even (in some cases: Religion) support the left side of politics. What does ATS think about this idea?

I live in a very liberal area where the schools love teaching whatever the liberal cause du jour happens to be... global warming, timmy has two daddies, diversity this, racism that, etc. It doesn't really bother me as I expect public schools to be fairly liberal. I just believe a parent that I will be supplementing my child's education at home and teach them how to think critically, logically, and to ask questions to develop their own opinions on a subject.

The problem with legislating that teachers can only teach "facts" is that the facts depend on the who is writing the book. What bothers me more than anything though is that I feel like liberals never want to examine alternative view points. For example, in my community they are always holding discussions about racism or other liberal topics. Yet, if someone proposed holding a discussion centered around an opposing viewpoint, the entire community would flip out and try to shut it down.... I recall a local coffee shop hosted a anti-gay marriage guy a few years ago for a discussion and you would have thought they invited Hitler to speak.

I would say that saying "Timmy has two daddys" is a fact but saying "Timmy has two daddys and that is just as good as having one mommy and one daddy" is an opinion.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I don't have to read any further in your thread to answer you question. If you think the history taught in grade school is factual then you are brainwashed, let alone your child. Most history taught in grade school is a lie. Usually done to paint history through a Eurocentric and American Exceptionalism angle. It's almost all white washed with any sense of conflict removed.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

As a matter of fact, I was asked that question.

I answered the first honestly. There is no shame in being what you are.

No one asked me the Hell business, but that's where I would say that I am not going to address that as it isn't an appropriate topic English class. I did get asked if I was a virgin after being asked if I was married, and I did use that response.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
I teach. Here in the UK, the national curriculum is set by the government, the courses set by approved bodies and these are filtered to education establishments. The ethos of the teaching is set by the government, so for example, the national grades for numeracy and literacy are below standard when compared to the rest of the developed world so the government has made it standard for numeracy and literacy to be included in EVERY lesson, regardless of the subject, it has to be embedded. Such things as 'left leaning' might be construed due to policies of 'every child matters' and inclusion, where the teacher has to allow for differentiation. There has also been something of an eco humanist aspect instilled, think Gestalt humanism, so essentially there is a lot of student led activity and political/ecological ideology thrown into that.

Teaching / Tutoring /Lecturing is monitored and graded by OFSTED, to check all these things are in place, and there is a lot more than just that, the lesson also has to be 'engaging' and 'zingy', essentially placing teachers in the role of entertainer /educator/ policy keeper/ sociologist/ psychologist etc.

Thanks for the info. Being in the USA I can tell you that there are situations here where (just an example) a left leaning teacher will preach their politics to children and there have been situations where children received lower grades if their essay expressed a different view than the teacher. That is basically the root of my query.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

To a point, conditioning is necessary for society. I just don't agree with the protocol they are using. They need to get better people setting up the conditioning.

I noticed that the teachers are constantly having the kids sell things to get things for projects. I think they are abusing this fundraiser practice. It costs the community a lot of money and most of the money goes to the companies providing what the kids are selling.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: amazing

As a matter of fact, I was asked that question.

I answered the first honestly. There is no shame in being what you are.

No one asked me the Hell business, but that's where I would say that I am not going to address that as it isn't an appropriate topic English class. I did get asked if I was a virgin after being asked if I was married, and I did use that response.

Good response. I agree with you totally. I just think there are times when opinion might come out. I teach children, teenagers and adults and make it a habit to not give my opinion on anything. Nobody I teach knows if I go to church or who I voted for. I know it can be tough.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I don't have to read any further in your thread to answer you question. If you think the history taught in grade school is factual then you are brainwashed, let alone your child. Most history taught in grade school is a lie. Usually done to paint history through a Eurocentric and American Exceptionalism angle. It's almost all white washed with any sense of conflict removed.

As usual...you make a good point. So does that mean you would be on board for teaching just the facts? This is the name of the war, this is when it was, this is how many people died...etc. Leave politics and nation-building (or boosting) out of it. Let the children form their own opinions rather than those of the teacher or the country.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

What do you do when the books are biased?

Why do you think the left was so upset about the Texas education board decisions on some matters of history in the curriculum?

It's because Texas, being one of the largest text book buyers in the market, largely dictates what the text books for the rest of the states are going to look like. So if the Texas board decides to teach a more balanced view of US History that is less Howard Zinn and more "Hey, you know those Native Americans weren't exactly innocent either." or "No, the 3/5 compromise clause was NOT about dehumanizing blacks but far more complex." Then the text books offered for sale to the rest of the country are largely going to reflect those curriculum demands.

So what gets taught in Texas gets taught to everyone else almost by default.

So what it is? Education is biased, or because you think the Texas board teaches a more 'balanced view of US history' (in your opinion), it in fact is not biased?

I work as a teacher, and my job is not disseminating propaganda, but rather, giving my students the tools to think for themselves. If they can think for themselves, they can make their own informed decisions.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

To a point, conditioning is necessary for society. I just don't agree with the protocol they are using. They need to get better people setting up the conditioning.

I noticed that the teachers are constantly having the kids sell things to get things for projects. I think they are abusing this fundraiser practice. It costs the community a lot of money and most of the money goes to the companies providing what the kids are selling.

I would back that also. It always shocks me how often there is a fund-raising campaign and how much a yearbook costs. It vaguely resembles a government unto itself with all the corruption and money wasting of a real government. Does a yearbook really cost $100 each when they order 1000 of them? I would much rather pay more in taxes and see what the schooling costs than hide it in these fund-raisings. Then I could more accurately evaluate if the school is using our money wisely.

Just a side note...when I lived in NJ, the school installed a $25000 mosaic of the school mascot on the floor of the entrance way. Really?????

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

a reply to: TNMockingbird

Agreed. And maybe I'm just looking for a boogie-man like a typical conspiracy nut...but...considering the left leaning opinion and percentage of teachers, is there more to this? Is this a plan? Maybe even a conspiracy?

But regardless...what about a "Teach Facts...Not Opinions" rule where if a teacher is found to be instilling their opinions upon the students...tenure or not...they can be fired? I think it is a fair rule to both sides and would pacify at least my concerns.

You are correct, it is an intentional agenda from the left.

Why do you think so many teachers and universities are leftists.

They planned this out decades ago, and began implementing it decades ago.

It is right out of the communist play book, and the alinsky playbook.

As well as taking over the media, to control the information we receive.

That is why the left wants control of the internet so bad.

They are losing the PR war because of the free flow of information.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you mean. You certainly CAN teach just the facts and speak about the politics of the day, nation-building, etc. In fact it is speaking about these things which makes history INTERESTING. That is what is missing from our history classes currently. The part that makes it interesting.

History classes have been distilled down to exactly what you just mentioned, but instead of facts there are "factoids" about hero characters that may or may not be true (mostly not true). Then we have bland events that are completely unrelateable. It's all just "RAH RAH USA USA!" history and it is rather boring pretending like the US has always been completely altruistic. Especially since anyone who follows the news today knows that isn't the case. EDIT: I'd say that this is a primary reason that many Americans' think that America is going to hell in a hand bucket. They mistakenly believe that America has always been the good guy and now that we act sinister it shocks them.

It also needs to be shown to students that history is the culmination of events that led to the present. Actions in the past effect the present. How can a student appreciate history if she does not know this? A teacher of history must RELATE history to the present. For instance, when talking about Chester A. Authur, bring up the birther controversy around Obama. This can show how political tactics to undermine the other side have ALWAYS been dirty and are largely recycled.
edit on 17-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

What do you do when the books are biased?

Why do you think the left was so upset about the Texas education board decisions on some matters of history in the curriculum?

It's because Texas, being one of the largest text book buyers in the market, largely dictates what the text books for the rest of the states are going to look like. So if the Texas board decides to teach a more balanced view of US History that is less Howard Zinn and more "Hey, you know those Native Americans weren't exactly innocent either." or "No, the 3/5 compromise clause was NOT about dehumanizing blacks but far more complex." Then the text books offered for sale to the rest of the country are largely going to reflect those curriculum demands.

So what gets taught in Texas gets taught to everyone else almost by default.

So what it is? Education is biased, or because you think the Texas board teaches a more 'balanced view of US history' (in your opinion), it in fact is not biased?

I work as a teacher, and my job is not disseminating propaganda, but rather, giving my students the tools to think for themselves. If they can think for themselves, they can make their own informed decisions.

I like your position and view on that. But depending where you teach, I would assume you see it being biased? Even the teacher's unions are majorly left spending money on democrat campaigns to keep the money coming in. I tend to believe that is where most of the left leaning opinions come from. If the liberals fund the schools better...the teachers look at them left as their source of income. Or am I off base?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm not sure what you mean. You certainly CAN teach just the facts and speak about the politics of the day, nation-building, etc. In fact it is speaking about these things which makes history INTERESTING. That is what is missing from our history classes currently. The part that makes it interesting.

History classes have been distilled down to exactly what you just mentioned, but instead of facts there are "factoids" about hero characters that may or may not be true (mostly not true).

It also needs to be shown to students that history is the culmination of events that led to the present. Actions in the past effect the present. How can a student appreciate history if she does not know this? A teacher of history must RELATE history to the present. For instance, when talking about Chester A. Authur, bring up the birther controversy around Obama. This can show how political tactics to undermine the other side have ALWAYS been dirty and are largely recycled.

Except you are talking about grade school kids. They do not think abstractly. Asking them to make comparisons like this is largely wasted.

Grade school is the age of facts - names, dates, etc. You establish the knowledge base, and when they get into the late grade and junior high years they start to develop the capacity to really enjoy the sort of thing you are talking about.

Early grade is taught the way it is for sound reasons that have less to do with brainwashing than you think.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
History is rarely just facts and is always taught with a slant one way or another.
Science will have climate, creation and evolution opinions.
Reading will be taught occasionally with books based in political agendas.
So yeah, your kid is being exposed to the agendas of the teachers.
But it's up to the parents to raise the kids in the best way they see even with the influence of others.
I would not want my kid to only hear my views of the world, but to hear everything and make up her own mind.

Sure...and my wife and I do so. But for more hours a day, the teachers have control of their growing minds and they are told to respect their teachers. So how about some simple protection against any teacher preaching their personal opinions to students?

How about you get your kids out of the public schools. That's truly the only answer to this problem.

But that only solves the symptom...not the problem. Teachers shouldn't teach opinion.

Teachers should teach children how to think, not what to think.

It really is that simple.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Great until you realize most teaches don't even know how to think.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join