It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Room and Board in Montana (For the Summer)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
OH......to be young again!

I would love to do this...
In exchange for "volunteering" at a ghost town you are given a cabin, fridge, and woodstove.
You are also given a food allowance.
When the guests leave at 5PM, you are left to your own devices...
There are trails and maybe "ghosts".

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management provides a furnished cabin and a food allowance for volunteers. Amenities in the cabin include a refrigerator and propane and wood stoves. In return, volunteers are expected to maintain the property, provide visitor and tourist information, lead and guide tours, help with special events, assist with setting up exhibits, and run the gift shop. Most volunteers usually stay for about a month with some staying the entire summer. Volunteers work until 5 pm and then can have the rest of the town to themselves.

"

Examiner Article
I did a search and found nothing...now this may not sound "fun" or be "news" to most of you but, I love the idea!
edit on 17-4-2015 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It's a neat idea, but not many young folks I know can go a summer without some kind of pay. However, there's nothing saying they can't work a 2nd job to make money if there's something nearby.

It would be fun to be able to do this though. I'm afraid I would not be able to resist the incredible temptation to mess with the tourists - a lot. No internet=problem.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
That actually sounds like a fantastic summer gig. If I were still in my 20s I'd jump on that.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If one of mine was 18 and could go, I would be willing to pay their phone bill and insurance for a couple of months!

It would do them some good! Not that they're bad! LOL
It would do me some good also! LOL

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It sounds very cool but as I read the story it reminded me of "Friday the 13th", camp Crystal Lake.

If you go just keep an eye out for Jason.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix

No doubt!
LOL

I think that may be part of my appeal as I love the unknown and new experiences...

"ki ki ki ma ma ma"

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Great. I'm 65 and I'd like to volunteer. Please send me the address I have to apply to. Would they pay my airfare from England.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

TextThose who are interested in volunteering should contact Gainan at the BLM Missoula Field Office by calling (406) 329-3735 or by email at [email protected]. For more information about Garnet, visit the Missoula Field Office’s website at blm.gov/j5ld or the Garnet Preservation Association’s site at blm.gov/k5ld.

That's super! Perfect age for something like this! Of course, I'm assuming you don't have small children at home and I shouldn't do that!
I don't think they will pay your airfare however, don't take my word for it...
You never know unless you ask

We could always start up one of those "Go Fund Me" accounts...

I've seen crazier things on them!

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
You've just put a downer on my hopes as I'm expecting my third grandchild (no I don't know whether it's a boy or girl) in about 5 weeks time. Do you think that they would let me take the whole family?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I think it would bring more authenticity to the "town" to have a whole family!

I am not sure about that though as in one of the ads I saw mentioned A parent and A child.

If they would take the whole family I would go but, I'm certain they would frown on the food allowance for the 7 of us!
4 of whom are teenagers with voracious appetites!

Congratulations on the grandchild!
My daughters are CERTAIN they don't want to have children so...we shall see...

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You have to give tours and work in the gift shop? I don't like that, it sounds like they attempt to make some money. Yet they want somebody to come work for them for free.

I wonder how many people that like this idea are also people who call for an increase in minimum wage?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I just emailed the representative listed in the link... With a sincere request to fill the position. I received an automated email saying "Out of the Office until May 3rd: Volunteer positions have been filled for this season Re: Volunteering At Garnet."

Bummer, I was ready to do this. Oh well... Very cool though.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Volunteers work until 5 pm and then can have the rest of the town to themselves.

"

Wow, a whole town to myself!? I get to rifle through people's sock drawers and help myself to Cheetos at the Mini-Mart?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

Darn! It figures...
There's always next year!

Maybe if one were to send a resume, they may keep it on file!

top topics

join