It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA Says 225 Counties Fail to Meet Clean Air Standards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has discovered 225 counties in 20 states that do not meet benchmark safety standards for clean air against microscopic soot.
The factors that contributed to whether or not a county was placed on the list for failing to meet soot requirements were emission rates, air quality, population density, traffic, commuting patterns, level of pollution, etc.
The states included with counties that violated EPA standards included Alabama, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.

www.enn.com
WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency on Friday identified 225 counties in 20 states that don't meet new clean air standards designed to protect against one of the tiniest but most harmful pollutants -- microscopic soot.

The counties and the District of Columbia will have to move quickly to come into compliance. They have three years to devise a pollution-reduction plan for fine particles and then must meet federal standards by 2010.

Failure to comply could mean a county will have to limit development and its state could lose federal highway dollars.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is Your State On The EPA's Bad List?

The way this article is written, it almost sounds to me as if we're on the path to environmental disaster. I feel as if the EPA is practically begging these counties to reduce microscopic soot emissions. I believe that part of the problem we're having is related to how the issue is being presented. It isn't presented as a national problem. Even though it is. This country is a whole country and if there exists serious problems of this nature, then the problem should be presented to the entire nation as a whole in addition to pointing out the states who are responsible or rather more accurately, irresponsible. Is anything really going to get done as a result of this? It doesn't sound at all like the EPA presented its sanctions to these counties with a sense of urgency. It seems to me that they're just compiling information and throwing it out there for the appropriate people to see and hoping that something will happen. I have to address a very important note here though. This is an extremely serious matter. The fact that 95 million people are heavily exposed to this harmful pollution is nothing America should be proud about. 15,000 potential premature deaths points out how immature we are as a country when it comes to taking care of our air let alone, the environment. It is the same old environmental story I've been hearing for years and will continue to hear for years to come because we're not ready to make the drastic changes necessary to clean up our environment. We're too dependent on our current economic support system which is mainly an innumerable amount of industries whose waste products are nearly solely to blame for our environmental collapses. I suppose we will change one day. Maybe when some tremendous tragedy occurs where half of the nation is wiped out because of environmental related disasters. I believe we as a country lost our grip on controlling this problem a long time ago and we're well overdue for some type of major overhaul in our environmental policy. But I guess the chances of that happening are same as the chances America will come together as a nation and fight for our environmental rights.

Related News Links:
www.cafepress.com
tropicaltreefarms.com
www.envirocrime.com

[edit on 12/19/2004 by Mr Knowledge]

[edit on 12/19/2004 by Mr Knowledge]

join