It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theorists, Bloggers Compared To ISIS During Congressional Hearing

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
So ATSers, It looks like The 535 Gang have come right out and said it "We Are Terrorists"! Just like ISIS, Al Quida and the like. I don't know about Y"All but I have never felt anything like these Scum Sucking B**tards and for Congress to be lumping us in with these detestable vermin is just too much!

Well now what do we think of this? Are these people just talking out their You Know Whats? Or, are we maybe just shaking their cages just a little too much for their liking. You know bringing up Political Corruption, Graft, Nepotism etc.

Anyways My ATS Brethren and Sisterhood, should we maybe take the light off these roaches? Or, should we maybe shine it brighter so these underhanded lying SOB's can't get away with their general self enrichments? Anything you'd like to add is as always very welcome and Thank Y'all for taking a gander at this. PEACE AND LOVE GUYS AND GALS
Ajunanda.

(EXCERPT) Bloggers, conspiracy theorists and people who challenge establishment narratives on the Internet were all likened to ISIS terrorists during a chilling Congressional hearing which took place yesterday. As linguist Noam Chomsky said, “The idea that there should be a network reaching people, which does not repeat the US propaganda system, is intolerable” to the US establishment.

The hearing, hosted by the House Foreign Relations Committee, was titled “Confronting Russia’s Weaponization of Information,” and accused Russian state broadcaster RT of weaponizing “conspiracy theories” to spread propaganda.

One of the speakers giving testimony was former RT host Liz Wahl, who made a public spectacle of quitting Russian state media last year in an incident stage-managed by neo-con James Kirchick, himself a former employee of Radio Free Europe – a state media outlet.

Remarking that the Internet provided a platform for “fringe voices and extremists,” Wahl characterized people who challenge establishment narratives as a “cult”.

“They mobilize and they feel they’re part of some enlightened fight against the establishment….they find a platform to voice their deranged views,” said Wahl.

Referring to comments made in January by US Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) chief Andrew Lack, who characterized RT as a threat on the same level as ISIS and Boko Haram, Wahl said the comparison was justified.

“By using the Internet to mobilize people that feel displaced, that feel like they’ve been on the outskirts of society, and give them a place where they can find a sense of belonging, and maybe make a difference in their own way, and it’s a problem,” she said.

Wahl went on to bemoan the fact that conspiracy theorists were “shaping the discussion online, on message boards, on Twitter, on social media,” before asserting that the web had become a beacon of “disinformation, false theories, people that are just trying to make a name for themselves, bloggers or whatever, that have absolutely no accountability for the truth, that are able to rile up a mass amount of people online.”

Committee Chairman Ed Royce then proceeded to accuse people on YouTube of using “raw violence” to advance conspiracy theories.

Peter Pomerantsev, of the London-based Legatum Institute, followed up by claiming that conspiracy theories were no longer “fringe” and were now driving the success of Jean-Marie Le Pen in France, before lamenting the fact that conspiracy theories were challenging the “global order” and threatening to undermine global institutions.

All three individuals that gave testimony are staunch critics of Russia, leading Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) to wish “we had at least one other person to balance out this in a way that perhaps could’ve compared our system to the Russian system, to find out where that truth is, just how bad that is.”

Beyond the inflammatory rhetoric, the real story revolves around the fact that Washington was caught off guard by the rapid growth of RT, with Hillary Clinton and others having acknowledged the fact that the U.S. is “losing the information war,” which is why they are now desperately trying to denigrate the Russian broadcaster.

Zero Hedge
edit on 16-4-2015 by arjunanda because: Fix Link

edit on 17-4-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: Fixed link.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

I would actually be offended if you could come up with another source besides zerohedge.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Meh .. theyre just jealous that we think for ourselves ... just file it with the rest of their silly little lists that Im on .. and now time for a beer and talk myself out of finding future ex-wife #14 ...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Now you're my kind of ATSer Expat888, just let it roll off you back and have a Brewski. Good Reply and A Star
Arjunanda. a reply to: Expat888

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Link isn't working but here's the video source:

Chairman Royce Questions Witnesses at Hearing on Confronting Russia's Weaponization of Information

The video has former RT reporter Ms. Wahl.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Okee Dokee dreamingawake, I'll fix it
Arjunanda. a reply to: dreamingawake

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Link isn't working but here's the video source:

Chairman Royce Questions Witnesses at Hearing on Confronting Russia's Weaponization of Information

The video has former RT reporter Ms. Wahl.

Thank you for the link to the video. To me it now becomes clear, while I don't agree about the comparison of RT to Isis. I can understand what the ex RT anchor is talking about. And it comes as no surprise that zero hedge is championing RT.

I hold very little confidence in a news station that has never criticized Vladimir Putin since it's inception.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yay, to be able to strike fear into the worlds biggest fear mongers does sound like a good achievement, well done everyone.

The idea that a terrorist is one who is interested in understanding the world for what it is does have some correlation as it can be a very terrifying world at times.

If we are to believe the media and ISIS is just a grass roots movement in a war torn land, then the conspiracy theorist is the grass roots movement in a lie infested land. I do wonder just how many congressional leaders would be shocked and unable to deal with the reality of this world if it was presented to them. As the ones that help direct the progress of the nation what is more terrifying, these leaders knowing or not knowing just what is really going on?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Bull, if that were the case the government would be funding conspiracy theorists and giving them rocket launchers.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Meh, whatever.

If my government thinks of me as an evil heathenistic blemish on their ivory derrieres...

Then I'm doing everything just right.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

They must have mistaken me for someone who actually gives a ship what a politician thinks.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

That`s the strategy which is being played out all the time...

Label alternative views and commentators as being "conspiracy theorists," pro-Russians, Putinistas, Russian paid shills,etc.

Question only will be, are you so stupid to let yourself get fooled by such an obvious technique...RT themselves and Fair.org do a good job in explaining it all...

Ex-RT anchor tells Congress how Putin’s media works

Reporting on Russia’s Troll Army, Western Media Forget West’s Much Bigger, Sophisticated Troll Army

So all you have to do is keep watching out for the people who keep attacking alternative media (RT, bloggers, etc.) and who accuse people over and over again as being paid by Russia to know who you`re dealing with.
edit on 17 4 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

To be fair, the conspiracy community is probably more dangerous to the establishment than ISIS. The only problem is one way is just, the other is barbaric.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

13 ex wives... I bet you are one of FEW people on the list for that. You must have an amazing talent for charming women my friend. If you want a #14 (and then a #15 and #16 even), I'm sure you could find her

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
More than happy to be called a terrorist by these scumbags it's a compliment.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: arjunanda

Anyways My ATS Brethren and Sisterhood, should we maybe take the light off these roaches? Or, should we maybe shine it brighter so these underhanded lying SOB's can't get away with their general self enrichments?

Shine it brighter!!! And then even BRIGHTER!!!

I'm not here for the kicks and giggles. I'm here to be a thorn in the side of the megalomaniacs stealing us blind, shedding our blood, and generally running the world into the ground. I'm firmly convinced that the most dangerous among us (to the PTB) are those who have seen through the left-right paradigm imposed on us. I have no delusions that the PTB do not know who I am -- good morning NSA! -- and would gladly silence me and everyone who gets too close to the truth AND too much attention from the masses. And will if they have half a chance. I've already told my husband and son and a couple others that if I disappear between July 15 and September 15 (Jade Helm), suspect the government first. Paranoid? Maybe; more likely just premature. In a world of secret courts and gag orders and NSA spying and lying liars calling the shots? I call it prudent and practical.

Turn on the floodlights and we'll see the cockroaches scatter.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
How ironic that the Constitution they claim allegiance to becomes the very thing they would deny us. As much as it might feel good to tell them to STFU that would be the last thing I would say. As much as lying has become a daily habit among politicians they still have the right to say them, even though those very same lies are used as justification to further erode the rights of the people.

They have turned the entire world and the concept of truth upside down and now in their desperation to make us conform they paint us as terrorists for daring to reveal evil things they've done while in power. The tide starts rolling in due to what they've done and now they blame us. That takes real chutzpah but when you're a criminal I guess you have no other option but stay with your peer group to the bitter end, and I do hope it's bitter indeed.

new topics

top topics

join