It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas woman invokes ‘religious freedom’ argument to fight $2000 fine for feeding the homeless

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

an Antonio woman is planning to use the state’s “religious freedom” law to contest a citation she received for feeding homeless residents at a local park, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

Joan Cheever said four bike-patrol officers ticketed her last week for handing out food from a vehicle that was not her food truck. It was reportedly was the first time authorities stopped her after providing a free meal for the homeless every week since 2005.

The citation carries a potential fine of $2,000. When she goes to court on June 23, she said, she will argue that she should be allowed to continue sharing her food because it is a valid expression of her faith under the state’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

“One of the police officers said, ‘Ma’am, if you want to pray, go to church,’” she told WOAI-TV. “And I said, ‘This is how I pray — when I cook this food and deliver it to the people who are less fortunate.”

Despite the ticket, Sheever plans to continue handing out food in the weeks leading up to her court appearance.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Lets' see how it goes, and see who is going to get upset at her for trying it.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Good for her!

Meanwhile Hillary Clinton has over 2 Billion dollars just to run for a political office? Can anyone say "campaign finance reform?"?

Citing "religious freedom" to feed those who are hungry is admirable as far as I am concerned!

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I don't care how she fights it, ticketing someone for feeding the homeless is reprehensible! I'm behind her no matter how she goes about it.
edit on 16-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I just have to ask the obvious here.

What kind of monster makes it against the law to feed the homeless.

And how big a dick do you have to be to make the penalty a $2000 fine?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I don't care how she fights it, ticketing someone for feeding the homeless is reprehensible! I'm behind her no matter how she goes about it.

I hope she opens a gofundme account for her defense.

I would donate.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Government. That's all you have to say. We have to save the starving homeless from some kind of food borne something her unlicensed aid might give them. I'm sure that's the justification. A license will make sure her aid is properly inspected or something.

Which, of course, is just a load of crap. If they can ticket her, then they can nail you for handing out apples to panhandlers, for example.
edit on 16-4-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am all for her using this to defend her position.

Why are these cops carrying out this type of enforcement?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Government. That's all you have to say. We have to save the starving homeless from some kind of food borne something her unlicensed aid might give them. I'm sure that's the justification. A license will make sure her aid is properly inspected or something.

Which, of course, is just a load of crap. If they can ticket her, then they can nail you for handing out apples to panhandlers, for example.

I know that will be the justification, even though the 5 day old ham sandwich they just ate out of the dumpster should be their concern.

GOV- "if you think the problems we create are bad, wait until you see our solutions!!!"

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Interesting question here: If she has a gofundme account and raised $2000 would it be more prudent to use it to fight the ticket or to just pay the fine?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We are talking about the homeless here. Many times governments don't even have to invent lies to discriminate against them, people just naturally go along with it anyways since people don't like being around the homeless.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Interesting question here: If she has a gofundme account and raised $2000 would it be more prudent to use it to fight the ticket or to just pay the fine?

I think she should fight it, so this law can get put where it belongs, in the dumpster.

If she just pays it, what about the next guy, and the one after that.......

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I gave you a star for that answer. It's a good point.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I would donate.

I dont normally fund anything but I would for this!

What a nasty world it would be if it were illegal to feed hungry people...I'd like to say "Only in America" but there's places in the uk that have now made it illegal.

F'em, I'll still feed them when I have the chance.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I seriously doubt she was charged with "feeding the homeless". Ill bet she fell on the wrong side of food distribution laws. Would like to see what she is charged with.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

I would donate.

I dont normally fund anything but I would for this!

What a nasty world it would be if it were illegal to feed hungry people...I'd like to say "Only in America" but there's places in the uk that have now made it illegal.

F'em, I'll still feed them when I have the chance.

Good on you!!

I think we have just let the gov get too out of hand.

They need to be reined in.

Outside of national protection and basic laws I think they should serve no other function.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar

I seriously doubt she was charged with "feeding the homeless". Ill bet she fell on the wrong side of food distribution laws. Would like to see what she is charged with.

Why does it make a difference?

Feeding those who are hungry that usually get their food out of a dumpster, should not mean squat to a bunch of government bureaucrats who preach to the public how much they care about their well being.......

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
her go fund me account

www.gofundme.com...

edit on 16-4-2015 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: TsukiLunar

Why does it make a difference?

Feeding those who are hungry that usually get their food out of a dumpster, should not mean squat to a bunch of government bureaucrats who preach to the public how much they care about their well being.......

It makes a big difference. She could be putting anything in the sandwiches and we would never know. She she could do any number of things without oversight from anybody. I'm pretty sure there are avenues that she could take that would suit her charitable nature and still be in compliance with food distribution laws we have them for a reason and they aren't just to screw people over.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Dp
edit on 16-4-2015 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join