It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer Breakthrough: Kansas Researchers Testing Compound That Inhibits Tumors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

It’s not a cure just yet, but a new treatment being tested at the University of Kansas is holding out for the promise of defeating cancer. A combination of chemicals has been successfully blocking a protein that cancerous cells need to replicate.

Dr. Liang Xu and his team of scientists have spent three years testing a chemical cocktail that inhibits a naturally occurring protein called HuR. Cancerous cells use HuR to replicate uncontrollably. The inhibitor was tested on lab cultures and in mice, and has been successful against the types of cancers affecting the tissues of the brain, breast, colon, lung, ovaries, pancreas and prostate.

The researchers have published their findings in ACS Chemical Biology, a journal published by the American Chemical Society.

Speaking to RT, Dr. Xu called the inhibitor a “very promising” treatment “that could potentially lead to a new therapy for cancer.”

Not to be a sour apple here but, I swear I hear the same # every year ! Why can't they just come out when they have found a cure !!

I mean the reality of it is , is that most people with Cancer will probably not get to be treated with this new Method of treatment unfortunately!!

because the FDA wont #ing approve the # anyway for another 20 years !

don't worrie my dear brothers and sisters who are taking their dance with the big "C" ,Ill continue to sign your petitions from Change.org and ill

continue to give the FDA my finger !!!!!!

sorry folks if this sounds more like a rant. I just hate cancer and I hate seeing people suffer , it seems like every year we hear of a possible new

cure or treatment but then its quietly caught in the web of Big Pharma and FDA ,

warped up and taken away from the public eye .

Keep weaving spiders for our day will come !!!!!

LINK

edit on 16-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Funny to see all the attention put to those nice patentable and lucrative cancer treatments, while any potentially promising but unpatentable and thus not profitable medications/treatments being swept under the carpet...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
i've lost a few people in my family to Cancer, and i smoked for like 17 years, so there is a fair chance that's how i'm gonna go, i understand your frustration.
It's a bit how NASA teases every year with "signs of life this and earth- like planet that"
But these bits of information are needed, the small steps, we need to know that people are still out there trying to find a solution, we tend to think discoveries should happen how we see it in movies, or how we learn about it in textbooks: some dude scribbles on a chalkboard and BAM! electricity.
These things come in small incremental steps.
At least we know people out there are still trying to help.
As for the FDA...yeah F! them

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I am fully with you on that ! it is just frustrating..

My emails are flooded everyday with petitions from people with Cancer begging the FDA to let them try a new promising drug that is not out of clinical testing phase . some have been in this phase for Years!

I feel like they are just dragging out these "phases" so they can have all their chips in order for big pharma to put a monopoly on the product ...

#ing sad really
edit on 16-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly
Funny to see all the attention put to those nice patentable and lucrative cancer treatments, while any potentially promising but unpatentable and thus not profitable medications/treatments being swept under the carpet...

Unfortunately, they do that all the time. I remember a few years ago researchers found that Vitamin C could kill drug-resistant tuberculosis. But instead of simply prescribing it, they're looking to add Vitamin C to other drugs in tuberculosis treatments!

In a striking, unexpected discovery, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have determined that vitamin C kills drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) bacteria in laboratory culture. The finding suggests that vitamin C added to existing TB drugs could shorten TB therapy, and it highlights a new area for drug design. The study was published today in the online journal Nature Communications.

www.einstein.yu.edu...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I totally agree. I've always said those cancer victims who have exhausted all possible treatments to save their lives should have the right to sign a waiver to be treated with any promising cancer cure not approved by the almighty FDA. These cancer victims deserve a chance to save their lives!

How often do we hear of promising cancer cures which never see the light of day! The bureaucratic red tape and testing of these cures take literally years! Most of them you never hear about again. I say give these people hope and allow them to be used in trial experiments. It's their last hope for them and their loved ones.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Here's the problem with cancer: there isn't just one type. A lot of these new therapeutics are aiming to target very specific molecules on or associated with cancer cells. And these molecules differ between tissues, or maybe they are similar to those on healthy cells and you don't want to risk killing the healthy cells- which is what happens during conventional chemotherapy. For an oversimplified example, lets use breast cancer.

Breast cancer isn't the same in every person. We can divide it into very general categories of estrogen receptor positive and negative, and this is only one very simple way of categorizing it. The drugs used to target ER positive is very different from the drugs used for ER negative; also post menopausal women who are ER positive can't use the same drug as women who are pre-menopausal without exacerbating the problem. Then you can (and physicians absolutely do) get more complicated and see if the breast cancer is progesterone receptor positive or not, Her-2-neu positive or not, how much has it affect lymph nodes and if it has metastasized or not, and on it goes.

TL;dr cancer is complex. Very complex.

Also, with pharmaceuticals, the ability of the drug to dissolve in water (solubility) is a huge factor in whether or not it can be used in humans. There are huge chemical libraries of drugs that in theory could be very effective, except they have the solubility of a cement block, making it useless. I'd suspect many drugs you've seen might fall into that category; they are fine in Petri dishes, but useless in living systems where they need dissolving in blood/bodywater/saline to be useful.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

Not to be a sour apple here but, I swear I hear the same # every year ! Why can't they just come out when they have found a cure !!

Because you're confusing the media's reporting on science with science itself. No cure has been found but many, many avenues are being pursued. However, the media like to overhype every little babystep (most don't even pan out in the long run) to get you to read their article.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
sigh.... another attempt to kill an trillion dollar industry...
when will it stop !
the pharma maffia will never tolerate an cure to cancer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 16-4-2015 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

top topics

join