It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You'll never look at the human body the same way again.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Something so evident and, literally, under our noses.

There is something intriguing about the human body. Have you noticed how the spatial arrangement of our facial anatomy coincides with that of our torsos?

Self-similarity happens all over the natural world, at the macroscopic level in living beings (romanesco broccoli, spiral seashells, peacock feathers and the microscopic (cardiovascular systems and lungs) but you probably hadn't noticed it in the human macroscopic anatomy. Could this be proof that other natural processes besides natural selection are responsible for biological form, raising the question: would the humanoid-like shape repeat itself elsewhere in the universe?

Fact is self-similarity happens in our universe (from the micro to the macro world), why wouldn't the human body be another example of this recurrent phenomenon? The question is why should it be ruled out?

Indeed a very intriguing realization:

Self-similarity of the Human Body
edit on 16-4-2015 by thyextendedself because: typo

Self similarity implies that an object is exactly or approximately similar to a part of itself. It doesn't have to be identical.

edit on 16-4-2015 by thyextendedself because: missing info

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: thyextendedself

Before clicking on the link I thought they were talking about the nipples-eyes, solar plexus-nose, belly button-mouth.

Belly button-nose and genitals-mouth seem to have too much space between them to be a fractal of the face.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I guess I am having trouble identifying any similarities other than the number of features.

Someone else had a good comment on that site..

" how come dogs have 2 eyes, and six nipples?"

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'm not buying it. Like Mandroid7 said, the only similarity I see is in the number of features. The proportions aren't the same, the functions aren't the same, nothing's the same. ....Except for the number of features.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Self-similarity implies that, not an identical copy of itself but a similar one.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Still, is the same number of features a random coincidence or could the self-similar nature of matter be to blame?

There are similarities in form: nipples and eyes are concentric circles.
Our mouths and genitalia both express frenulum tissue.

Fact is self-similarity happens in our universe (from the micro to the macro world), why wouldn't the human body be another example of this recurrent phenomenon? The question is why should it be ruled out?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

But they said self-similarity fractals. There is a geometry to fractals.

Drop the fractals and two eyes, two ears, two feet, two hands, two nipples or set of nipples would be better, although they don't always look alike.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I would say the expression of self-similarity is recurrent in nature and not consistent. The fact is it happens as stated by the reply to that comment: "in the macroscopic anatomy of some of Earth's plant and animal life (romanesco broccoli, spiral seashells, peacock feathers) and in the microscopic anatomy of many, for example all those who have a cardiovascular system or lungs." So why should the macroscopic anatomy of the human body be excluded?

An interesting perspective on the subject:

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: thyextendedself
Self-similarity happens all over the natural world, at the macroscopic level in living beings (romanesco broccoli, spiral seashells, peacock feathers and the microscopic (cardiovascular systems and lungs) but you probably hadn't noticed it in the human macroscopic anatomy. Could this be proof that other natural processes besides natural selection are responsible for biological form, raising the question: would the humanoid-like shape repeat itself elsewhere in the universe?
Spiral seashells, yes.

The link you cited, no. The author is delusional.

People get a little too carried away with fractals, but there is actually mathematics to fractals. You can't just point to a drawing of a human and say it's showing self-similarity like a seashell,without showing your math and even then I don't see it in the human, though I do in the seashell.

This doesn't even belong in the science forum. Fractals and the mathematics of fractals ok but this isn't fractal that I can see.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There is a spacial relationship in the Human body ... if you use the Fibonacci series of numbers or relationships ... which also occur in the rest of the natural world and Universe

You can try this out yourself

First for those who do not know Fibonacci here is the run of numbers or relationships

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 etc

These numbers come about by taking the 1 and adding it to itself making 2 ... take the two and go back and add to the 1 making 3 .... take the 3 and go back and add to the 2 making 5 ... take the 5 and go back and add to the 3 making 8

The relationship being adding the figure before to the present number making the new next number ... Hope I have explained clearly enough

Now using this way of relationship ... Take the length of the first digit of say your finger and add to next digit ... the combined lengths make the spatial relationship to your wrist (fold) etc etc
edit on 16-4-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

remove quoted post.

Thats because of high meat consumption. Floss regularly....You will uncover a vast feast of rotting animals. I wish I was kidding.

Your intestines.....rotting meat there too...

Enjoy lunch!

From one carnivore to another...with love.

Try some fruit and veggies no? Mix it up.
edit on 4 16 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

edit on 4 16 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/17/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

Explains why my breath smells like sh#t...

No, that's usually just down to a particular type of sexual activity. Thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Ahem

Just to make sure everyone here remembers, ATS is a family friendly site.

Please make sure your discussion is one that is appropriate for such a venue.

It certainly would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Ahem

Just to make sure everyone here remembers, ATS is a family friendly site.

Please make sure your discussion is one that is appropriate for such a venue.

It certainly would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Ok, I was looking for a member called Ahem, and the bad they'd did. Lol

Sorry, my bad in reflection. I didn't think of that. I don't tend to think this site as kiddie friendly

edit on 17-4-2015 by ProleUK because: e

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
There are 'patterns' everywhere in nature and the universe.

It's why mathematics works.

I think it goes without saying that we should expect to see similar types of patterns on an alien world with its flora and fauna, even if the planet didn't evolve exactly as ours has.

Leonardo Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man" demonstrates proportions that would define the 'perfect' human specimen... but it also demonstrates how the human anatomy does (to some degree) follow these same sorts of patterns with the golden ratio/fibonacci sequence.

Anyways, interesting thought experiment, OP.

top topics

join