It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka
refreshingnews99.blogspot.in...

If New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) becomes president of the United States, he said on "The Hugh Hewitt Show" Tuesday, he will "crack down" on those states that have ended prohibitions on marijuana.

When asked by Hewitt if he would enforce federal drug laws in those states that have legalized and regulated cannabis, Christie responded unequivocally.

"Absolutely," Christie said. "I will crack down and not permit it."

Citing an "enormous addiction problem" in the U.S., Christie, who has not yet announced a presidential run but has launched a political action committee, said that a very clear message needs to be sent "from the White House on down through federal law enforcement."

"States should not be permitted to sell it and profit" from legalizing marijuana, he said.

What a jerk, this guy.

No worries. He has about as much chance of becoming POTUS as I do. Bridgegate killed what little chance he ever had.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully
a reply to: wasaka

He'll never be president after saying this.

He had no chance anyway.

The GOP candidates are going to figure out pretty quickly that an anti-marijuana agenda will lose them the election.
edit on 4/16/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Hey now my AARP crowd are also members of NORML. Lots of them.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I've seen something similar coming for a while. Marijuana is still illegal at the federal level. All it's going to take is a U.S Attorney General that does not look favorably on the legalization of marijuana.

Then the alcohol, tobacco and firearms is going to move in and confiscate everyone's assets. I doubt they will throw people in jail over it but they are damn sure going to take all the money.

I don't like that scenario, but it's only a matter of time in my opinion.

I disagree because I believe that the US is at a point where a staunch anti-legalization candidate will not be elected.

Basically, the only people still hardcore anti-MJ in this country (aside from the pharmaceutical assholes) are some old-school law enforcement officials whose job it has been to go after drugs and some extremely right-wing conservatives. Those folks are going to vote for whatever ding dong has an R by his name, anyway.

Anti-legalization is a losing position in this election. The GOP candidates should take the smart route and say "I believe this is a case where, in keeping with the intentions of the Constitution, it's an issue that should be left up to the states to decide."
edit on 4/16/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

American politics is like a Child / Parent Relationship
where no one, not the voter and not the politician,
wants to be an Adult. When people start to vote on
the issues, they will be adults.
Until then, don't
expect the politicians to be Adults.

Yep. And as a result, elections are based on charisma, popularity and polarizing issues like abortion & gun control that shouldn't even touch the federal level. If we could actually vote on issues, it would steer us closer to a real democracy, but it's unlikely that will happen for a long time.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Sounds like he's really burning his bridges.

LOL I get it.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: muchmadness

Yeah but pastrami is not a schedule 1.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Good thing none of have to worry about this guy EVER becoming President.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
The south would NEVER accept his Yankee butt.
t

The south doesn't have ROOM for his Yankee butt.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Barcs

Actually I'm pretty sure that our next President will be a Republican. It's just the way that American politics work. Every 8 years, we switch parties in the white house preceded by a switch in Congress two years earlier.

It may behoove people to pay attention to the Republican candidates more than the Democrat ones, because a Republican one will likely win. Going by past voting trends and all.

I was thinking about that and the balance, but I still feel that George W screwed up so badly that the party needs reform before getting majority vote again. Then you have Palin and the tea party nonsense that makes them lose even more credibility. The first Bush did win right after Reagan, so it could definitely happen again. I think people are tired of the uber religious neo conservative southerner type of president. They need to step back and become more moderate and get back to the core values like smaller government and fiscal responsibility. It's been a while since I've seen a republican president has actually stood for this kind of thing.
edit on 16-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

He had no chance anyway.

The GOP candidates are going to figure out pretty quickly that an anti-marijuana agenda will lose them the election.

I think it is likely that the GOP candidates will adopt a no opinion policy regarding this issue similar to the one Obama adopting in 08. Well the smart ones that is (or the ones with good campaign managers). We may see some GOP candidates jump on the states' rights thing and use their no opinion status to basically allow 4 more years of federal hands off approach like the Obama admin did. Democrats are more likely to come out in favor of legalizing it.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Yes. It is an interesting political climate and Republicans are certainly FAR away from their stated goals of smaller government. Though I really don't see the theocratic part of the Republican party being too much of a deterrent. The Christian right is getting anxious from 8 years of Democrats and "heathen" policies. So you never know.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

It worked for the Reagan's. Guess he thought he'd give it a shot.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I never said anybody running on that platform for election. I said all they have to do is install a US Attorney General that doesn't look on it favorably.

Come on you know how the government is if there's money in it and they can get it they will. No state will be totally immune from criminal charges or asset seizure until the federal law is changed.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Actually that's only true for the last three. Clinton (D) 8, Bush (R) 8, Obama (D) 8. Before that Bush Sr only had 4 and Reagan had 8 before him making a 12 year run for republicans. Carter (D) only got 4 and prior to that another 12 year run for republicans between Nixon and Ford.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

refreshingnews99.blogspot.in...

If New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) becomes president of the United States, he said on "The Hugh Hewitt Show" Tuesday, he will "crack down" on those states that have ended prohibitions on marijuana.

When asked by Hewitt if he would enforce federal drug laws in those states that have legalized and regulated cannabis, Christie responded unequivocally.

"Absolutely," Christie said. "I will crack down and not permit it."

Citing an "enormous addiction problem" in the U.S., Christie, who has not yet announced a presidential run but has launched a political action committee, said that a very clear message needs to be sent "from the White House on down through federal law enforcement."

"States should not be permitted to sell it and profit" from legalizing marijuana, he said.

What a jerk, this guy.

No worries. He has about as much chance of becoming POTUS as I do. Bridgegate killed what little chance he ever had.

Bridgegate killed it and tax evasion cremated it.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

He had no chance anyway.

Still I think the best we can get from them is silence on the issue all together. If Hillary comes out for legalization she will be thought too radical . She already has an uphill battle being a woman. (Yes still in this day and age) so she probably won't run on the issue but I think if she's elected shell settle it once and for all. The rest of the republican candidates will also likely ignore it . They'll go with something they're comfortable with like outlawing abortions and gay marriage .

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yes. It is an interesting political climate and Republicans are certainly FAR away from their stated goals of smaller government. Though I really don't see the theocratic part of the Republican party being too much of a deterrent. The Christian right is getting anxious from 8 years of Democrats and "heathen" policies. So you never know.

Don't you mean Muslim policies? Lol. Seeing as how they all think he's an under cover member of ISIS.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Browsing the comments, it seems I agree with a lot of people on the fact that he doesn't stand a chance at POTUS anyway. No worries here.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Krazysh0t
with a black president who has liberal rhetoric. So now there going to put a Republican in power and start another war.

Maybe by rhetoric, but Obama has by no means been particularly liberal, by its actual meaning, or anti-war, despite how he may be characterized...
edit on 16-4-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join