It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drive in Theaters I miss them.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Pic was from a few years ago, but I believe it's still in business. I've gone by it on occasion, but haven't been to it as it seems like it'd be more fun with friends than going solo.

--- Edit ---
Just researched it. They lost their property lease as of this year. Idiot landowner is planning to sell to Walmart, even though one already exists about a 5 minute drive or so south of this location.
edit on 17-4-2015 by pauljs75 because: New info

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Alas, I was born after the reign of drive-in theaters.
Love hearing the stories / nostalgia everyone is sharing though.

Though I never experienced the golden age of the drive-in, I have had opportunity to visit one.

There is a very good drive in south of Dallas. The Galaxy Drive In Movie Theatre in Ennis, Texas. I highly recommend anyone in the DFW area (or beyond!) check it out if you get the opportunity!

(plus, their burgers are actually pretty decent...)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Luckily I have 2 in my area. Took my daughter for first time last year. Put a comforter and pillows in the bed of my truck.
I do miss the old speaker boxes.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have fond memories of the Drive-in growing up in the early seventies as well. I remember seeing "Billy Jack", "Blazing Saddles", a horrible horror movie called "Ssssssss", about an evil doctor who turned someone into a snake. I also remember seeing a Charles Bronson movie or two. Those were the days. I would get sooo excited when my parents planned to take me. Sometimes we would take a sack of Krystal's with us. There is a Drive-in still in operation near where I live now. A few years back I took my girlfriend there. She had never been to one, as she grew up in Guadalajara. She wanted to see "Ice Age 3" (she LOVES cartoons!!) She couldn't believe we were sitting in the car watching a movie. Got my first kiss from her there. She is now my bride. Memories...

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

ah, my parents have reminisced about the same thing. I've never been to one--but I have seen one! They still exist! i saw one near west chicago less than a year ago.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

There is one just north of where I live.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19241148]Iwinder[/post

We still have a old drive in theater in my neck of the woods. Out in Montgomery co KY. I used to take my kids out to see the movies and they thought it was just amazing. There's two more several counties over that are still operational. I just loved going there and the food was always amazing to me anyways. Always reminded me of the fair.
Thanks for the memories

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stuship

There is one just north of where I live.

Go North then and get one more in before they are instinct and no more for this world :-)
Enjoy "attack of the killer tomatoes" and the lackluster food and beverages, when its gone its gone for sure.
Thanks for posting.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jennah88
a reply to: [post=19241148]Iwinder[/post

We still have a old drive in theater in my neck of the woods. Out in Montgomery co KY. I used to take my kids out to see the movies and they thought it was just amazing. There's two more several counties over that are still operational. I just loved going there and the food was always amazing to me anyways. Always reminded me of the fair.
Thanks for the memories

Glad you still have the luxury to enjoy a Drive In Theater enjoy them while you can and thanks for adding to the Thread.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I happen to have one with a big screen and good food not that far away.
www.25drivein.com...

They have been getting positive reviews on Facebook as well. I have not been though.
Obviously there is a lot of interest or they wouldn't still be in business. I think they opened up back a few years ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
I happen to have one with a big screen and good food not that far away.
www.25drivein.com...

They have been getting positive reviews on Facebook as well. I have not been though.
Obviously there is a lot of interest or they wouldn't still be in business. I think they opened up back a few years ago.

Man you folks have it made there I have just finished reading the link you so kindly provided and the menu was making me drool.
If it was not so far from us and we had passports we would most certainly drive out there for a movie and some really good food with not bad prices (as far as drive in's go) I had to laugh at the Concession stand as they have not changed since I can remember. I can smell the fried onions all the way to here :-)
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and the link, anyone else reading this thread should really look at the link above.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   

You're welcome. Unfortunately, my post got wiped out finding another link and coming back here.
I was saying there was interest in drive ins expressed in the paper a few years ago and then the next thing you know, someone bought the old drive in property and bought new equipment and poof, we have a new one in the area with good food I heard. The people around here know good food. There are more restaurants in this small town than I think I've seen in any town this size. I think people from surrounding counties go out to eat.
Anyway I was going to say if someone is looking for an excuse to visit. There are two well known festivals in the area. The festival of discovery is a barbeque competition with national contenders and then there is the festival of flowers.
www.uptowngreenwood.com...
There are other less well known festivals in the area I still haven't explored yet.
I think over in McCormack in the fall, there is. Gold Rush Festival and you can even mine for gold if you want.
www.scfestivalofflowers.org...

edit on 25/4/15 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: olaru12
I saw 'Night of the Iguana" at a drive-in....

Ha Ha

LOL

Ok, You have me beat.

Ditto for me very funny post....
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Airplane with Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke when I was around thirteen. Went to see one horror flick that totally escapes me, as it sucked, and the opening flick was this unknown called A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Last time I was there was for Hannibal/Dracula 2000. The only thing that had changed was the sound through the radio. The snack hut was still as disgusting as ever.

I should go back someday. Fun place, if a bit unsanitary.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
Airplane with Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke when I was around thirteen. Went to see one horror flick that totally escapes me, as it sucked, and the opening flick was this unknown called A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Last time I was there was for Hannibal/Dracula 2000. The only thing that had changed was the sound through the radio. The snack hut was still as disgusting as ever.

I should go back someday. Fun place, if a bit unsanitary.

Good stuff you mention, I really can't recall any big time movies when we went there but never the less I enjoyed them all.
Yep on the snack hut they were bad news but still I went in for terrible food at ridiculous prices.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

The one here has bathrooms that rival the one in Trainspotting, and that was back when I saw Nightmare there. Makes you wonder if bad things can travel upstream from the awful, rusted out troughs they have in the restrooms. It may have been renovated since 2000 when I was last there but I doubt it.

I did take a gander at the listings there. All crap. The only one that was mildly interesting is Mad Max and I really doubt they did it better than the first time around. I've been wanting to go just for the hell of it, even before this thread, as I haven't done many movies in theaters in the last years and I especially wanted to do the drive-in experience at least one more time before it goes the way of the dodo. Which may not be that far in the future. They need something better than Paul Frakking Blart for me to go so it may not happen anytime soon.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Well in my humble opinion if you can, you most certainly should catch one more night time ride and the Drive in.
A said above somewhere in this thread the closest and only one is about 55 miles away and we are seriously considering going for one more dose before its gone "like the dodo"
Why not go and get the opportunity to pee in a rusted out trough one last time? :-)

I have heard that the new Mad Max is pretty good according the Promo's that certainly is better than attack of the killer tomatoes.

Get one more in whilst you can I say.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Um, there's not much out there that is better than Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. It really doesn't get much better than fake killer tomatoes on skateboards that are clearly visible. That's Plan 9/Manos territory and that's rare. Really good bad flicks are hard to come by.

Attack doesn't even need Joel/Mike and the Bots to make it great, that's how good it is. I wouldn't put the first Mad Max in the category of Attack and I doubt, again, that the newer one can be as good as the first(when did that EVER happen?). Ok, John Carpenter's The Thing killed the one from the '50's but that's a rarity.

I don't trust Hollyweird much these days, especially with remakes as they generally get them wrong.

Either Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Citizen Kane and the drive-in ATM has neither. It's either got to be really good or really bad for me to think spending the five bucks is worth it.

Yeah, it sucks being me. Can't just go to a freaking flick, can I?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I don't trust Hollyweird much these days, especially with remakes as they generally get them wrong.

Correct you are in that regard, they really crank out some terrible stuff. Not that I watch it but I have seen enough trailers here on the net to get a grasp on the situation. What really comes to mind is the 3/4 second scenes now, just watch any new show or movie and that is the longest clip you are going to see.

Look at some of Hitchcock's films and you will witness scenes with 5 minutes without a cut.......Now thats a movie I can watch.
Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join