It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colonization Heritage destruction leads to Queen Victoria vandalism!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm not going to be a racist, only reporting the facts of the stories.

Mostly black people of SA has finally showed that they hate the colonization by white people and want to destroy all that they has built in SA. Almost all major heritage statues is being vandalized or removed. It is such a sad thing to see that this has become a national rampage to destroy all statues of the history or colonization, from Paul Kruger, to Gandhi, and finally Queen Victoria!

Not only paint was used, but also human waist was thrown at the statues! I mean how barbaric and animal is this behavior??!

Do they want to go back to living in the bush, hunting with bow-and-arrow and build homes out of clay and straw???

This is just a little bit of what has been happening!

RHODES HAS FALLEN

The statue of Cecil John Rhodes has been removed from UCT's upper campus.

Hundreds of students gathered around as the statue was lifted at around 5:37pm and anxious students were seen throwing objects and chanting at the statue ahead of the removal.

The man who started it all by throwing human waste at the statue a month ago, Chumani Maxwele said, “This is a moment for us to really confront the reality of our history and I’m happy that the national government is on board.”

ewn.co.za...

STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA VANDALISED IN PE

The sculpture has been smeared with green paint.

The sculpture was smeared with green paint in the most recent instance of reaction towards colonial era statues in the country.

Several sculptures in the Eastern Cape and Pretoria have also been defaced in the wake of protests at UCT which called for the removal of the Cecil John Rhodes statue.

Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality mayoral spokesperson Kupido Baron said, “This morning we discovered that Queen Victoria’s statue, situated in front of the main library, was vandalised with green paint. We managed to cordon off the area and we now will start off with an investigation.”

ewn.co.za...

GANDHI STATUE VANDALISED

The statue and a commemorative plaque were smeared with white paint this afternoon.

JOHANNESBURG – Police have confirmed a statue of Indian leader and philosopher Mahatma Gandhi in the Johannesburg CBD has become the latest monument to be defaced this weekend.

The statue and a commemorative plaque were smeared with white paint this afternoon.

ewn.co.za...

THE LOWDOWN ON THE STATUE TAKEDOWN

Debate about apartheid and colonial-era statues and their relevance in modern society intensified when the first poo and paint flung by protesting University of Cape Town (UCT) students hit the stone bust of Cecil John Rhodes.

Cecil John Rhodes at UCT
King George VI at UKZN
Paul Kruger in Church Square, Pretoria
The Anglo-Boer war memorial statue and the Horse Memorial statue in PE
Statue of Louis Botha outside Parliament
Queen Victoria in Port Elizabeth
Martinus Wessels Pretorius in Tshwane
Andrew Murray in Wellington
Mahatma Gandhi in Johannesburg CBD

ewn.co.za...

Another sad fact is that the Government is supporting this action!! Why? because the President openly said that everything wrong in SA has the White Colonists to blame!

EDIT:

Just found this! LOL

edit on 15-4-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well the pres of SA is meant to be setting an example but this goes a bit to far to blame everything on white people I thought they were the ones that brought a bit of civility to that place idk...

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: robbeh

Its arrogance and pure corruption is what I think it is!!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

What in the thrice cursed name of Hades, justifies a bunch of people who are arguably justly aggravated about the hijacking of their nation for a century or so, defacing a statue of Gandhi of all people? What the hell did he ever do to the South African people, that has lead them to despise him? He was neither white, nor a colonial, but a figure who was so determined to achieve freedoms for people, that he resorted to peace rather than conflict, the harder path, and harder choice by far!

What possible motivation could the perpetrators of this vandalism have, for doing anything to HIS statue?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I will take an educated guess and say its because is was not a Black South African. Also in the news is thousands of black people killing anyone that is not 'Black South African. If you are in SA, but not from SA, and is making money in SA, you are a target and you will either get shot, robed, beaten or your home and business burned down.

The Black SAns want to take over the entire SA, with no room for anyone else. And the president gave them that idea in his State Of The Nation Down.
edit on 15-4-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

What in the thrice cursed name of Hades, justifies a bunch of people who are arguably justly aggravated about the hijacking of their nation for a century or so, defacing a statue of Gandhi of all people? What the hell did he ever do to the South African people, that has lead them to despise him? He was neither white, nor a colonial, but a figure who was so determined to achieve freedoms for people, that he resorted to peace rather than conflict, the harder path, and harder choice by far!

What possible motivation could the perpetrators of this vandalism have, for doing anything to HIS statue?

Actually, Gandhi was a flaming racist against black people in South Africa. He spent a long time in South Africa as a lawyer & was actually in favor of apartheid against black people. In South Africa, he merely fought for equality for the Indian community. He even participated in the Kaffir Wars aka Xhosa Wars against the black people. So it's no surprise that black people there don't like him.

www.raceandhistory.com...
originalpeople.org...

And you should probably look into the Apartheid Laws. Here's a good starting place.There was literally nothing good about Apartheid for the native black people, who make up 80% of the population (10% more are multiracial & 10% more are white/Afrikaans). And then remember, it took decades of civil unrest & outright war to get the white majority to relinquish their hold on power. So you can't blame the natives for having a negative view of them & their heritage.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

that wonderful combination of ignorance and stupidity naturally.

fine not to excuse the equally arrogant and stupid actions of the early "mostly" white
colonialists who thought they knew better than the tribal peoples that were already there
but the actions of the current leadership is using this and the ignorance of the people
to further their own grasp of power at the expense of current white owned business

well fine F*** em all the foreign business interests should pull out totally and leave them to it
lets see where that gets them Zimbabwe or Rwanda anyone!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Ah!

I had not realised that about Gandhi! Well, what a bastard!

I was not surprised at the attitude that some South Africans take toward colonialism, but I had no idea that Gandhi had such a role to play in the region, or that he was a staggering racist bigot! You learn something new everyday as they say, and that was my daily tidbit!

Everyone with functional synapses knows that apartheid was a bum deal for the natives though, that I did know.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Ah!

I had not realised that about Gandhi! Well, what a bastard!

I was not surprised at the attitude that some South Africans take toward colonialism, but I had no idea that Gandhi had such a role to play in the region, or that he was a staggering racist bigot! You learn something new everyday as they say, and that was my daily tidbit!

Everyone with functional synapses knows that apartheid was a bum deal for the natives though, that I did know.

No problem. I was literally heartbroken when I found out. But most of the things told about Gandhi are just from his later years when he fought for equality for India's poor, specifically their "Dalits/untouchables". So I respect his work in India, but not so much in South Africa.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Upon further reading(which I should have done), I retract my initial post. XD Lesson learned, ignore post. >_>
edit on 15-4-2015 by Necrobile because: I read further, eating my words

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Aww snap! What'd you say, what'd you say?!?!? Everyone grab your pitchforks!

Just kidding. I must have missed it but it's all good.

As for the OP, I'm not saying the people there should or shouldn't vandalize the stuff. I'm not there so I have no say in their feelings. But I can certainly understand why some people would want the monuments from that hurtful time to be erased. Who would want to keep statues of leaders that supported your oppression?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the info on Gandhi, I really never knew all that, funny how history is so often rewritten to glorify people when perhaps it's not actually justified. Kind of like Florence Nightingale, widely acclaimed for being the mother of Nursing, but that all came about long after her disastrous actions in the Crimean War. She apparently fell into guilt-ridden depression after the war because of all the men who died under her care, she was bed-ridden for years, eventually trying to make up for the damage she felt she'd done (and actually did do) by writing influential papers on patient treatment and care, which eventually did lead to modern nursing.

As for the OP, I'm always dubious when someone opens with basically saying "I'm not racist, but..."

There is a lot of anger in South Africa, and with good reason, but they're not "destroying everything" the colonialists built, that's hyperbolic in the extreme. There are thousands of monuments and landmarks all across the country, much of the historical infrastructure would be under threat if your assertion was true.

One statue has been removed from public view at the university - NOT DESTROYED. It was removed after ongoing protests, and with good reason considering that man was actually responsible for a lot of suffering. Other statues have been splashed with paint in what is nothing more than a protest. The paint will not "destroy" those statues.

Forgive me for making the suggestion if it's entirely untrue, but you seem to be annoyed that these "black people" don't "know their place"

edit on 15-4-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: robbeh
Well the pres of SA is meant to be setting an example but this goes a bit to far to blame everything on white people I thought they were the ones that brought a bit of civility to that place idk...

There was nothing civil about Apartheid. "Black" people couldn't vote, hold office, own land, etc. Couldn't even walk on the same streets as "white" people. And multiracial/"colored" people had it worse than "whites", but better than "blacks".

The reason I put white, colored, and black in parenthesis is because those were the legal categories for the 3 different social/political classes. "Whites" were 1st class citizens and had all the rights of citizenship. "Coloreds" were multiracial people, were 2nd class citizens, and had some rights. "Blacks" were the full blooded African natives, were 3rd class citizens, and had little to no rights.

Apartheid was as civil as America's Jim Crow/Segregation laws. Maybe even less, because the "black" people were the outright majority in South Africa. And the Apartheid system lasted until 1994. So it's not like there's been a lot of time to correct the damage that was done.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm pleased someone posted the truth about Gandhi - he thought Black people were sub-human and deserved to be treat as such.
A hypocrite of the highest order.

If anyone wonders at what direction South Africa is taking just take a look at its neighbour Zimbabwe.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

There was nothing civil about Apartheid. "Black" people couldn't vote, hold office, own land, etc. Couldn't even walk on the same streets as "white" people. And multiracial/"colored" people had it worse than "whites", but better than "blacks".

The reason I put white, colored, and black in parenthesis is because those were the legal categories for the 3 different social/political classes. "Whites" were 1st class citizens and had all the rights of citizenship. "Coloreds" were multiracial people, were 2nd class citizens, and had some rights. "Blacks" were the full blooded African natives, were 3rd class citizens, and had little to no rights.

Apartheid was as civil as America's Jim Crow/Segregation laws. Maybe even less, because the "black" people were the outright majority in South Africa. And the Apartheid system lasted until 1994. So it's not like there's been a lot of time to correct the damage that was done.
did I say anything about apartheid? .. I was referring to better living conditions etc in some of SA back then..

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It was removed after ongoing protests, and with good reason considering that man was actually responsible for a lot of suffering.

I know I will get a lot of angry response from some people, but what about Mandela? He was a gang member and was linked to bombings in the apartheid era.

Forgive me for making the suggestion if it's entirely untrue, but you seem to be annoyed that these "black people" don't "know their place"

Are you suggesting that I believe black people are only good farm-instruments? I know, and is friends with a lot of black people!

Do you really think that it will only stay with throwing human wast and paint? Every protest in SA escalates in a few days.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

did I say anything about apartheid? .. I was referring to better living conditions etc in some of SA back then..

Ok but once again, you can't speak of "living conditions" without speaking of Apartheid. Because that was the system that determined those living conditions. Maybe the "white/Afrikaans" had better living conditions than before. But you can't say the native black people did (who make up 80% of the population). And this was because of the Apartheid system (and colonization before it).

Think of it like this: the natives had their own cultures and territories. Invaders came over hundreds of years and forced the natives to change most of that (I think the Dutch came in the 1600s). They kept placing more & more restrictions on the natives, while increasing their own power & positions. And every time the natives tried to fight off this oppression, they were crushed.

So maybe they brought "different" living conditions. But there's no way you can say they brought "better" living conditions. That's like saying the Native Americans should be grateful because the Europeans brought "better living conditions". LOL I think they'd take their former conditions over the present ones any day.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
so now everyone has to suffer because if it? ..

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Lets ask this question. Where would SA be now is Afrikaaners get colonized and built an economy?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion

Lets ask this question. Where would SA be now is Afrikaaners get colonized and built an economy?

No offense, but I don't know what you're trying to say. Are you saying "where would the different ethnic groups in South Africa be if Afrikaans didn't show up?" To answer that, they'd be living the same way they did for tens of thousands of years: free, with their own territories, own friendships & rivalries, own customs & cultures, etc.

You might want to look into "The Scramble for Africa" (that's the actual term). When Europeans conquered Africa in the late 1800s, there was no benevolence towards the black people. The black natives didn't share in the benefits or economic growth in those countries. The part of the Cold War that Westerners never talk about is how the "colored" people in Africa & Asia were fighting off their former colonizers.

Now, please answer my question. Do you think the Native Americans should be grateful because the Europeans brought "better living conditions" to America? Because that's the same type of situation, except the Natives in South Africa eventually got the invaders to relinquish power.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join