It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qasr al-Farid (The Lonely Castle)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've just stumbled upon this article and thought it worthy of sharing as it is a stunning example of ancient engineering/architecture.

Estimated age of this structure dates back to the first century AD and is described as a Nabataean tomb and there are also 131 others like this in the relative vicinity of the area.

Located in Al-Ula Saudi Arabia, it has also been likened to Petra in Jordon.

It was also abandoned and remains incomplete,although it is hard to believe this is unfinished, given its splendor.

It really is a work of art,not to mention being carved into a single 'rock'! It also begs the question if this was really carved with copper tools and such?..whatever the case this is certainly a Magnificent monument.

I also wonder why this was abandoned? I'd be interested to hear any theories from the troop!

Enjoy!

www.dailymail.co.uk... ete-century-D.html

edit on 15-4-2015 by EndOfDays77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

This is a very impressive structure. I can't believe someone looked at the giant rock and decided it would be a good idea to carve a Castle into it - and then went on to successfully do just that!

Great find, I had never heard of this. I also found this site where you can zoom in and get a better look at the details on the front of the tomb: Saudi Archaeology

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Oh, it probably went something like this "No! I don't want that one. I want a better, bigger tomb" or some such. Nobility weren't exactly level headed.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Looks like it was moved from somewhere ... or perhaps there's an interior staircase that leads to a giant underground cavern.

Given that it is probably sandstone, that would be very easy to carve. Imagine being able to expand your own home simply by carving chunks of rock out of the walls. Someone could have carved themselves a room, then some more space. Finally, once the interior was done, they got bored, and started decorating the front.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
It really is a work of art,not to mention being carved into a single 'rock'! It also begs the question if this was really carved with copper tools and such?..whatever the case this is certainly a Magnificent monument.

Why would copper tools have been used? They would have had iron tools for hundreds of years by that point.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Gorgeous...

God I wish the middle east was stable, I would love to visit so many places in that region.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

This is a very impressive structure. I can't believe someone looked at the giant rock and decided it would be a good idea to carve a Castle into it - and then went on to successfully do just that!

Great find, I had never heard of this. I also found this site where you can zoom in and get a better look at the details on the front of the tomb: Saudi Archaeology

Cheers,yeah you have to love the ingenuity.I can't help but think I would like to live there, no neighbors, bit of sun, yeah why not!

Thanks for the link that's awesome!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: obscurepanda

Oh, it probably went something like this "No! I don't want that one. I want a better, bigger tomb" or some such. Nobility weren't exactly level headed.

Ha ha I'm sure your right..and I thought the nobility were more "cone headed" oh I shouldn't say that..

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Looks like it was moved from somewhere ... or perhaps there's an interior staircase that leads to a giant underground cavern.

Given that it is probably sandstone, that would be very easy to carve. Imagine being able to expand your own home simply by carving chunks of rock out of the walls. Someone could have carved themselves a room, then some more space. Finally, once the interior was done, they got bored, and started decorating the front.

Interesting points..why not? I vaguely recall reading a link that speculated that the site at Petra was more fitting for 'giant' people given the scale of the entrances etc? This also seems quite a grand structure when you see the perspective..who knows? Stranger things have happened at sea..

I do like a bit of building myself as well, but the rocks round here are a bit tough,as you say this stone may be more ideal for carving? But to this scale well,they've made quite an achievement.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: EndOfDays77

Why would copper tools have been used? They would have had iron tools for hundreds of years by that point.

That is a great point Mister A..I had the age old quote in my head, as it tends to get brought up in Many threads like this (it's late here as well lol) and you're quite right for pointing that out..

What would I do without you j/k..thanks for stopping by!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Gorgeous...

God I wish the middle east was stable, I would love to visit so many places in that region.

Isn't it!

Something mystical about the whole setting..unfortunately the days of safe travel and exploration in the ME may be a thing of the past?what a shame! I do also wonder what hasn't been officially discovered? I know Saudi has become quite protective over many of its sites,like the many Wyatt found..so what other trails lie out there I wonder?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I find it interesting that so many of these Nabatean tombs share almost the exact same design. I'm curious as to where it originated...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this, tres cool. It's pretty easy to believe that it's unfinished though, what with the unfinished look and that, you know, the giant bleeding lump of rock sticking out of it's arse.

As this monument is 1st Century AD, and made of Sandstone they could have carved it with wooden tools if they were being paid by the hour. Not that they needed to as they had iron tools aplenty.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
wow. THATS what I call a SCULPTURE.

top topics

join